Going from a single turbo to twins - Page 9 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Power Adders
Reload this Page >

Going from a single turbo to twins

Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Going from a single turbo to twins

Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Re: Going from a single turbo to twins

Originally Posted by Badass355ciz28 View Post
I run one Moroso catch can on each side and my engine was perfectly healthy.
What are you using for a vacuum source on the cans?

Regardless of blowby, a lot of oil splatter is happening in the valve covers. You want negative pressure in your crank case (testing has shown it actually helps with ring sealing), so you need to suck from somewhere. Valve covers make the most sense.

Remember road tubes on older sbc? lol..

-- Joe
Old 10-10-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by customblackbird View Post
Ive been running a moroso oil/air separator with a Mcmaster Carr check valve with my boosted SBE 5.3 for 3 years... its s must as well. Its inline on the driver side valve cover in the PCV system. Check valve is necessary otherwise you will push boost into the crank case while your in boost.

JAZ mini catch can with filter on top on my pass valve cover as well with no issues. It hasn't pushed any oil into it that Ive noticed under boost (none has drained out). But I get some oil in the separator that I dump out every month (just an ounce or two).

Alot can be said of newer engines in need of things that Kingtalon would comment about being incorrect. My stock 5.7 HEMI in my 14 and 18 RAMs have horrendous PCV systems which leads back to piston rings and blowby. The stock PCV system sucks up so much oil into the intake in a short amount of time its insane. They also in stock form run the PCV line back to the filter box which allows oil to be sucked through the entire intake tube (sensors and all), Gum up the TB and intake. I also have a Diablo oil/air separator on my 5.7 HEMI and I literally have to dump out 4+ ounces of oil from it in a months time (less than 500 miles a month). Its actually normal according to Chrysler that the engines loose 2qts of oil in a normal 5k oil change schedule. Again this is NORMAL for these engines even if we dont like it an are not used to it.

Increased ring gaps for BOOST/N20 will cause added blow by and increase the oil wanting to come out of the crank case vapors resulting in a mess if you dont contain it. Nothing wrong with catch cans/oil air separators on these motors.
Probably 80% of the volvo 3.0T and 3.2 engines use about a quart every 1K. sometimes more. couple of times per week we get people in "my low oil lights on, volvo said i can go 10K on oil changes" Whoops.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by anesthes View Post
What are you using for a vacuum source on the cans?

Regardless of blowby, a lot of oil splatter is happening in the valve covers. You want negative pressure in your crank case (testing has shown it actually helps with ring sealing), so you need to suck from somewhere. Valve covers make the most sense.

Remember road tubes on older sbc? lol..

-- Joe
Nothing at the moment.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Supreme Member

Well, the new camshaft is in, new timing cover and valve covers. I sold the HSR and bought a new intake and throttle body. I am slowly putting this back together again.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86CamaroDan View Post
Probably 80% of the volvo 3.0T and 3.2 engines use about a quart every 1K. sometimes more. couple of times per week we get people in "my low oil lights on, volvo said i can go 10K on oil changes" Whoops.
haha, gotta love the OE manufactures. I run extra oil knowing I'm going to loose a bit through the separator.
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by customblackbird View Post
haha, gotta love the OE manufactures. I run extra oil knowing I'm going to loose a bit through the separator.
Alot of the subarus have a "updated" oil dip stick and "updated" oil quantity. Trickey Subaru