Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Product Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/)
-   -   Who Makes A Good High Output Aftermarket Coil? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/122332-who-makes-good-high.html)

1991 RS 305 07-29-2002 05:43 PM

Who Makes A Good High Output Aftermarket Coil?

85 305 TPI. Stock with typical bolt on & free mods. Since most seem to feel that MSD's are a waste without major mods, would a high output coil ( mines coil-in-cap style) make a noticeable difference in any way? Or is the stock Delco coil sufficient? I've got new Delco cap & rotor, TPIS wires & Bosck 4's. I'd like a smoother idle and more throttle response if possible. If so, what brand do any of you out there prefer? Thanks in advance!

Slade1 07-29-2002 06:48 PM

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread too since my car is just about due for a tune up...

darbleinad 07-29-2002 09:32 PM

i have have the MSD high output coil.....in cap style....it seems to be a nice unit....ignition coils arent going to do wonders for your car or anything....but my stock original coil had 250 000 kms....so it was time for a new one. i noticed a little better milage and it seems to run a little nicer, especially at high rpms. i would say unless you need a new coil, spend the money on better mods....then get the coil and other ignition stuff when you car is producing more power.

Slade1 07-29-2002 10:11 PM

I'm getting on 180k miles or 290k km... think I need a new coil??? lmao With this coil I'm still getting on highway 28 mpg or 11 kmpL thats a good 500 km or 300 miles per 12 g or 45 L. It seems to struggle in the higher rpm range under load so I figured its getting to the replacement mark...

A few of my ignition plugs don't fit as tight as they used to on the cap, my hc numbers are higher than 2 years ago on the emissions test, but still well below... the wires, cap and rotor are getting on 4 years old now... plugs are only a year old though...

Despite all these complaints, its still giving out good numbers... I just think they can be better if I get a new coil, wires, cap and rotor...

87transam5.7tpi 07-29-2002 11:22 PM

MSD all the way baby. I've never had a problem with there stuff.

onebad82z 07-30-2002 12:29 PM

I second the vote for the MSD cap mount coil,very high quality.I have had mine in my Z for 6 years now without a problem,always a good strong spark.I do use it along with a 6AL but it still made a driveability improvement before I installed the 6AL,installed that about a year after coil.

Slade1 07-31-2002 08:16 PM

I was always leaning towards msd products, I just needed a bit of a kick to do it... Accel doesn't have that great of a reputation compared to MSD (hearing about a busted coil and burnt wires on the net is one thing, seeing them on your friend's camaro is another)

Besides, Accel products remind too much of ricers... that bright yellow just doesn't fit well with me....

xpndbl3 08-01-2002 12:55 AM

i used an MSD coil in my HEI unit and Delco 8 MM wires(lifetime warranty) and am very happy with the quality on no problems at all

xaivior 08-05-2002 12:23 AM

how about the jacobs C-4 coil .. anyone used one of these ?
can it be used with an msd box?

bubbz89 08-06-2002 05:36 PM

anyone have the part #'s for the remote mount coil, heli-core wires, cap and rotor? all msd of course. btw what are some good plugs? this is for an 88 l98.

89IRO 02-15-2003 02:08 PM

MSD Cap- 8426
MSD Rotor- 8427
MSD Blaster Coil- 8226
Helicore-Wires- I too would like to know the part number on both universal and custom fit wires. Do both universal and custom sets include the coil wire? -89IRO

GTATransAM 02-15-2003 07:40 PM

I just installed and MSD coil, cap, and rotor, with Taylor 8mm Pro Wire Set. I havent driven the car yet, but everything ran fine when i let it idle. Bottom line is whatever it does to your car, its gonna be better, no matter how small the difference.

vexter 02-17-2003 04:08 AM

Originally posted by xaivior
how about the jacobs C-4 coil .. anyone used one of these ?
can it be used with an msd box?

Speaking of Jacobs, I'm running this ignition in my Iroc.

wyclefsirocz 02-17-2003 06:13 AM

MSD- cap and rotor
MSD- GM Blaster Coil
MSD- 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires
NGK- Irdium IX plugs

i noticed a little smoother accelration in the 3300-5300rpm.
these were put on a mostly stock LB9.