Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Product Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/)
-   -   Platinum of rapid fire plugs? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/191618-platinum-rapid-fire-plugs.html)

LilJayV10 07-18-2003 10:12 AM

Platinum of rapid fire plugs?

Which would be better for my bone stock 305TBI? I was wanting to go with a little bit better plug than stock. Thanks
Jason

25THRSS 07-18-2003 11:34 PM

I believe the rapid fires are platinum. I would just get the regular non platinum ac delcos.

ChevyCamaro420 08-01-2003 07:34 PM

I got the AC Delco Rapidfires (25THRSS is right, they are platinum). I'de recommend getting 'em, I've had no problems. BTW I also have a (near) stock 305.

The Dirty Bird! 08-03-2003 02:42 AM

Hi LilJay,

I tried the Bosch brand platinum spark plugs a couple of years ago, then switched to ACDelco Resistor copper plugs. I've noticed that my car (see sig below) has reacted much more positively to the copper plugs than to the platinum plugs overall.

Hope this helps! :)

Jason

Packy 08-03-2003 12:07 PM

Plat plugs are disigned for newer engines with coil on plug ignition, I think. Either way stay away from plat plug you dont need them, and they nothing for our engines. If you wanna work on Ignition system try a higher output coil, better wires, maybe MSD

25THRSS 08-03-2003 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Packy
Plat plugs are disigned for newer engines with coil on plug ignition, I think. Either way stay away from plat plug you dont need them, and they nothing for our engines. If you wanna work on Ignition system try a higher output coil, better wires, maybe MSD
Platinum plugs were simply designed to last longer. The platinum doesn't conduct as well as copper though and will melt with an aftermarket ignition system.

Packy 08-03-2003 02:05 PM

Basically Plat plugs are meant for distributorless ignitions. In an engine with a dist. they will harm performance, stay with copper.

I just got off the phone with brother who is a mechanic. He mentioned other info but i couldnt hear him.

25THRSS 08-03-2003 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Packy
Basically Plat plugs are meant for distributorless ignitions. In an engine with a dist. they will harm performance, stay with copper.
This is simply not true. They weren't designed for anything but longevity, regardless of wether you have a distributor or not it makes no difference. Basically if you are looking for performance go with copper. If you are looking for longevity go with platinum, regardless if your engine has a distributor or not. The only thing you need to look out for is if you have an aftermarket ignition system because the platinum will melt.

Anjiru 08-09-2003 08:44 PM

hey I see it as those platinums are good for 4 cyclinder cars but do nothing for a 8cyc. from my past experience.

Wilburwm 08-11-2003 08:00 PM

I took a set of Bosch platnum +4's out of my 95 3.4L Camaro and put in Accel's top of the line brand. The next week I was ripping the brand new Accel's out and buying a new set of Bosch Platnum + 4's! There was that much of a difference! Now, I put a set in my 89' 305 TBI T/A, but didn't notice a difference over the stock AC delco plugs. Engine runs like crap either way. lol, I'm just waiting for it to die so I'll have the wifey's approval for a LS1. By the way, the Bosch made a huge difference in my wife's Nissan too.

LilJayV10 08-11-2003 09:40 PM

So performance wise there wouldn't be any different than the regular AC's?

25THRSS 08-11-2003 09:51 PM

Originally posted by LilJayV10
So performance wise there wouldn't be any different than the regular AC's?
nope, might even be slightly worse