Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Product Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/)
-   -   Anyone have the B&M Console Megashifter (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/339927-anyone-have-b-m.html)

neo01453 01-09-2006 12:39 AM

Anyone have the B&M Console Megashifter

i'm thinking about getting a B&M Console Megashifter for my 91 z28 with the 350tpi, what does everyone think about them and i would also like to know exactly how the rachet action works, i'm just not very familar with that and heard about it but didn't quite get it, thanks

1FastZ 01-09-2006 08:06 AM

I have had mine about 3 years now and love it. Very easy to work and its 1000 times better than any old stock shifter.

All you have to do is read the directions and you'll know how to use it. Its very easy.

bbtaz97 01-09-2006 08:16 AM

i have one.. its alot better then the stokc shifter.. also shoudl point out.. go and get a ticker shifter cable... the one they send with it broke in liek a yr .. i went and got the thickest one that would work and no problems for yrs now.... the replacement cable i got was like 35 i think...

CraZ-28 01-09-2006 08:52 AM

I have one also, had it on mine since 97 and never had an issue with it. Was tight in the begining but it got easier to use every single day. Pretty simple install also.

neo01453 01-09-2006 12:44 PM

hey thanks for the info

CaptPicardsZ28 01-09-2006 01:16 PM

I've had mine for three years. First mod I installed in car. I like the looks of it but wish I had something else. It still shifts hard to this day. Everything was done right. Even called B&M...Word has it to use the original shift cable. A few mods would need to be done for that. I didn't do it. A search on these boards would tell you how to keep the original shift cable if your interested. Good luck..

Zap Racing 01-09-2006 02:38 PM

Like mine! U have the fun of driving a stick (manual shifting) when U want or a regular automatic (if U do not have a manual valve body like I do) and no clutch to deal with. Broke the reverse lock out lever (shaft itself) about 2 years after I had it, but that was a VERY simple repair.

Jim85IROC 01-09-2006 03:01 PM

I hated mine. If I didn't convert to a T5, I would have put the stock shifter back in. I have a long, detailed complaint that I posted a few years ago, so you can dig that up if you'd like more detail, but basically, for an application-specific item, it sure needed a lot of custom work. It should come with the relays, it should come with a new console insert, it should fit the OEM holes and it shouldn't make the whole console move when you shift it! I also had problems with the very soft threads for the handle stripping, and within months the rubber boot started to crack. Oh, and the outer plastic covering on the cable was broken right out of the box. It should use the OEM cable.

Overall, I felt that it was a product that did not live up to its potential, and was not worth the money.

Fastmax 01-10-2006 05:07 AM

B&M

I hated mine. So much as a matter of fact that I am right now in the process of taking it out and installing a dual gate. IMHO the amount of force required to shift it is simply too high. I have got a bad shoulder so for me it definitely did not work out. Wanna buy it? $75 plus shipping if you want it. Email Fastmax@cfl.rr.com
Roy

Zap Racing 01-10-2006 10:13 AM

Just out of curosity, since I have not researched the subject lately, what other ratchet shifters are there out there for a 700/thirdgen that is not a major installation nightmare, and would not be considered a PRO type shifter?

Jim85IROC 01-10-2006 03:32 PM

the Hurst Dual Gate (also known as the "his & hers"). If I kept my automatic, it's what I probably would have gone with. It's a much better engineered product.

neo01453 01-10-2006 03:41 PM

is that the one in classic industries catalog? it has the shifter plate that fits in the stock console and you can select from automatic to manule shift??

MattW 01-10-2006 11:37 PM

i have the megashifter and the only problems i have had was adjusting the cable over when it came loose down at the tranny once....other then that i love it....when i was looking at other shifters i was also looking at the his/her shifter but at the time i felt that it wouldnt look good in my car.....but now i think it would be cool to have....if its not too hard to convert mine over to one i may do that down the road.....

this is what it looks like....http://www.yearone.com/images/parts/ta_tz/tr48.jpg

********specs*****************************
Hurst Dual/Gate 2 - The classic Hurst dual-function shifter is now available in a custom fit application for 1983-1992 Camaros. The Dual/Gate 2 features:

* Street and race gates for standard or reverse valve bodies
* Illuminated shift indicator dial
* Uses stock GM shifter cable
* Custom fit in 1983-1992 Camaro console
$311.00 from yearone.com

BretD 88GTA 01-12-2006 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Zap Racing
Just out of curosity, since I have not researched the subject lately, what other ratchet shifters are there out there for a 700/thirdgen that is not a major installation nightmare, and would not be considered a PRO type shifter?
B&M now offers a replacement shift gate for the factory shifter. It converts the stock 700R4 shifter to a ratchet style shift.

I have one in my car and love it. Price is like $20 and the install is pretty simple.

xpndbl3 01-12-2006 09:58 PM

anyone have the directions still and can tell me which hole on the trans lever under the car is used for the Th350?

thanks

MattW 01-13-2006 02:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here ya go.....:D

xpndbl3 01-13-2006 01:53 PM

so is that saying all 4 speed trans are in the front hole and 3 speed trans are the middle hole? it doesn't make any sense to me since it says megashifter but "w/ 4 spd trans" then the middle hole says other shifters "w/ 3 spd trans"

MattW 01-13-2006 08:11 PM

i believe what it means is that you hook the megashifter up to the front one no matter what and for the megashifter to stay a 3 speed u just leave in that little E-clip on the shifter mechanism.....

MattW 01-13-2006 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the pic.....

xpndbl3 01-14-2006 12:51 AM

gotcha

89IROCZZ4 01-14-2006 01:23 AM

When I had my first IROC, I always wanted one. That old stock shifter just wasn't cutting it!

1FastZ 01-19-2006 07:56 AM

FastMax you have a PM

Digger 01-23-2006 05:43 PM

I have had mine for a year now and I like it, its easy shifting, looks good, and easy to install. The hard shifting is all in how you run your cable.

Digger

LilJayV10 02-09-2006 05:52 PM

Originally posted by BretD 88GTA
B&M now offers a replacement shift gate for the factory shifter. It converts the stock 700R4 shifter to a ratchet style shift.

I have one in my car and love it. Price is like $20 and the install is pretty simple.

Do you a part number or anymore info on this? I would like to do it my car to help keep the stock looking interior.

BretD 88GTA 02-09-2006 06:44 PM

Originally posted by LilJayV10
Do you a part number or anymore info on this? I would like to do it my car to help keep the stock looking interior.
Here you go:
http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...bcat=4&pid=305