Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Product Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/)
-   -   Splitfire Sparkplugs Good or Bad (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/613120-splitfire-sparkplugs-good-bad.html)

cinder41 05-03-2011 12:30 PM

Splitfire Sparkplugs Good or Bad

I have these plugs in my 88 firebird, and they seem to be ok but i was wondering what some of you guys think about them. Also if a brand of sparkplugs matter to.

blackbmagic 05-03-2011 01:27 PM

Re: Splitfire Sparkplugs Good or Bad

Standard auto-lites for me gapped at 0.045 with HEI. I don't fix what works.

I change them every season, they are cheap and it takes about 30 min.

If a plug is working why change it, you wont get any more horsepower from a plug with newer technology.. I have heard mixed things about new diamond fire plugs, as well as the other new types.

Camaro305SB 05-03-2011 04:52 PM

Agreed, theres no reason to spend big bucks on spark plugs.

UnderCover89TBI 05-03-2011 10:44 PM

Im a firm believer in OEM plugs. So I run AC delcos

Artisan 05-04-2011 02:00 AM

They are decent plugs but the are a gimmick. The spark won't split. it will fire to the closest side but not both sides of the split. I ran them in a GTO years ago. They ran fine but their claims of extra power aren't real.

cinder41 05-04-2011 03:08 PM

I got them on sale for $1.50 each and it was to come with a free shirt that i never got.

78,79,84,86 05-04-2011 08:51 PM

i ran'em on 87 formula 350...had issues of them loosening themselves out...also blew hei module when useing them..coincedence?

91phoenix 05-23-2011 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Artisan (Post 4911197)
They are decent plugs but the are a gimmick. The spark won't split. it will fire to the closest side but not both sides of the split. I ran them in a GTO years ago. They ran fine but their claims of extra power aren't real.

This is all true. However...........
The horsepower claims that they make are true by the way they are comparing. They are comparing a set of regular burnt fouled plugs to the new Splitfire plugs. Funny thing is that the same claim could be made with any reasonable quality plug against the same old used plugs.
All the AC Delco and Autolite and other brands say is restores lost power and performance. They are not claiming a true increase in power. This is more accurate advertising than claiming an increase in horsepower.

UnderCover89TBI 05-23-2011 10:04 PM

Pretty much. I run Champions in chrysler, motorcrafts in fords, delco's in GM, and NGK in foreigns

855speed 05-26-2011 02:19 PM

+1 undercover. Exactly as I do. Ford also seems to respond to regular Platinum Bosch plugs.

copyfixr 05-28-2011 08:18 PM

I got some E3's real cheap. Ran them for a little while, then the car ran like crap. Put an old set of AC's in, ran like a champ. Never again!

UnderCover89TBI 05-29-2011 12:36 AM

I actually put some AC Delco Rapidfire's in my car today. Havnt taken it out yet but we will see how she drives

Artisan 05-31-2011 10:08 PM

I am running the short header style plugs becuase they are easier to deal with in a straight plug head but I am a believer that if you run just about any good plug thats the right heat range you will be OK. I

The Project 06-08-2011 09:35 AM

AC Delco platinum seems to do the job well enough. :nod:

87hellbird 06-08-2011 11:26 PM

if ur looking for performance i would go with ngk cold plugs