Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Product Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/)
-   -   K&N filters... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/643111-k-n-filters.html)

Maroonz2800 02-25-2012 07:22 PM

K&N filters...

Are k&n filters worth it? they say they give you a few extra horsepower and better fuel economy blah blah blah blah...do they actually do the job better than your average filter?

Killerz187 02-25-2012 07:27 PM

Re: K&N filters...

If they do, I've never felt a difference.

I'd say just stick to one of the cheapos. Purolators have never failed me before, and I can buy a load of them for the price of a K&N.

DJP87Z28 02-25-2012 07:34 PM

You either use K&N filters or you don't. I have been using the same K&N's since 1988 (do clean and reoil) and I like them. But do they give extra horsepower, anyones guess.

DJP87Z28 02-25-2012 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You either use K&N filters or you don't. I have used the same K&N filters since 1988 (do clean and reoil) and like them. Do they add extra horsepower, it is open to anyones opinion.

Killerz187 02-25-2012 07:48 PM

I will give them one thing, they do last forever if they are taken care of, so they're worth it in that regard.

Ron U.S.M.C. 02-25-2012 09:30 PM

I prefer this with my cowl hood. Its a Summit brand power lid and filter. It oils and cleans like the K&N
Dose it filter well or better ? I know it sucks air like there no tomorrow put your hand on top and you can feel it.
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3128/38435932.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8107/1001185i.jpg

InfernalVortex 02-26-2012 01:07 AM

Summit K&N knockoff stuff is allegedly made by Spectre. I run a summit K&N type filter too.

Whether they give a power increase or not... Im sure that just depends on whether or not in your entire engine, whether the filter itself is a bottleneck or not. It's entirely plausible than the K&N filters flow better, but the paper filters may not be anywhere near their maximum flow capacity in your engine to begin with.

Personally I Just like them because they look nice. Thats about it. The cleaning and re-oiling... i still think a paper filter is cheaper than maintaining a reusable one, but they sure do look nice.

ROCFATHER 02-26-2012 01:37 AM

More horse power? I doubt it. Your paying more because they last forever if properly maintained. Thats about it.

ironmansed 02-28-2012 05:38 PM

how do u maintain them. i know how to clean, but how do you re-oil them

71nova 02-28-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ironmansed (Post 5196849)
how do u maintain them. i know how to clean, but how do you re-oil them

k&n filter oil

DJP87Z28 02-29-2012 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 71nova (Post 5196911)
k&n filter oil

K&N has a maintance kit with all you need. That kit will last for years, Only warning... DO NOT OVER OIL.

tater 02-29-2012 11:43 AM

Just wish I would have thought of something that has no proven hp advantage and persuade the majority of the public it is the best thing since sliced bread.....

Just envious, I guess.

Ron U.S.M.C. 02-29-2012 07:17 PM

"To me" paper looks cheap, because it is.Even "if" K&Ns flow/filter only a little better than stock, "to me" they still say performance. ?

On a different note..... When I open my hood what do I see ?.This is my daily driver. Its not spotless or have allot of nice bolt on shining up at you. So whats left.Most definitely the K&N style filter and assembly,and my cap, wires .Dang it even the filter has to come off to pass smog here.Kind of limits what I can do with it.

There is another thread just like this one somewhere on debating the subject extensively.

DeathStarr89 02-29-2012 07:24 PM

Power gains depend on what you started with.. If it's an undersized paper filter then sure there is going to be a gain with one that flows more air.

They last forever, that's the real advantage.

Dizturbed One 02-29-2012 08:48 PM

A K&N isn't about HP gains, they are about economy.

Sure they flow better, when you're pushing a ping pong ball with a fan in an autozone display... LOL. Nothing your car will use though. And they let A LOT more dust through them than a paper filter does.

But they save a lot of money in the long haul.

ZZ3 Z28 02-29-2012 10:17 PM

A Fram 327 filter for my car is less than 6 bucks at AZ and the K&N filter is $40+. If I replaced the filter once a year (the car is summer only) it would take me about 7 years for a ROI. I'll stick with the paper filter and forgo the "increased horsepower" myth.

IROCtheRoad 03-01-2012 02:29 AM

I've always used K&N filters and am very happy with them.

eseibel67 03-01-2012 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dizturbed One (Post 5198340)
A K&N isn't about HP gains, they are about economy.

Sure they flow better, when you're pushing a ping pong ball with a fan in an autozone display... LOL. Nothing your car will use though. And they let A LOT more dust through them than a paper filter does.

But they save a lot of money in the long haul.

This is the biggest disadvantage of K&N. Also, if your engine uses a MAF, the oil from the filter will contaminate the sensor and give inaccurate readings.

If you've ever cleaned and oiled a K&N, it's not a nice job. I'd rather buy a new filter paper, and I'm the epitome of cheap.

DJP87Z28 03-01-2012 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by eseibel67 (Post 5198686)
This is the biggest disadvantage of K&N. Also, if your engine uses a MAF, the oil from the filter will contaminate the sensor and give inaccurate readings.

If you've ever cleaned and oiled a K&N, it's not a nice job. I'd rather buy a new filter paper, and I'm the epitome of cheap.

Don't like to get your hands dirty. Only nasty when you go overboard with the oil which most people do. They are not suposed to be dripping oil. Used the same TPI type K&N filters for 24 years (with simple maintance once a year) and NEVER had ANY problems with my Maf Sensor.:driving:.

dctrouant1995 03-01-2012 07:26 AM

just put one on yesterday, along with spark plugs, wires, and a cap and rotor kit. Do I notice any difference? not really, fuel economy is better and it a tad more power than it did before. Its not noticeble but you can kinda tell

Jason E 03-01-2012 10:47 AM

In a stock third gen Camaro air cleaner, 2 fresh K&Ns with the removable baffles taken out yielded a little bit snappier throttle response on a 21k mile 350 in perfect health. Other than that, I couldn't tell ya...but all my performance cars have always used K&Ns. I get paper ones for the DDs every 20k or so...

chazman 03-01-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E (Post 5198873)
In a stock third gen Camaro air cleaner, 2 fresh K&Ns with the removable baffles taken out yielded a little bit snappier throttle response on a 21k mile 350 in perfect health. Other than that, I couldn't tell ya...but all my performance cars have always used K&Ns. I get paper ones for the DDs every 20k or so...

That's how it starts Jason. First you take out the baffles, the you drill holes, then you simply cut the bottoms out..... :D

As far as K&N's, I've been using them forever and have put hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Did they increase my performance? I don't know. I guess compared to the dirty paper filters they replaced.

justcallmeclassy 03-01-2012 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex (Post 5194001)
Summit K&N knockoff stuff is allegedly made by Spectre. I run a summit K&N type filter too.

Whether they give a power increase or not... Im sure that just depends on whether or not in your entire engine, whether the filter itself is a bottleneck or not. It's entirely plausible than the K&N filters flow better, but the paper filters may not be anywhere near their maximum flow capacity in your engine to begin with.

Personally I Just like them because they look nice. Thats about it. The cleaning and re-oiling... i still think a paper filter is cheaper than maintaining a reusable one, but they sure do look nice.

Summit K&N IS Spectre... I've got one. You can go get them at O'Riellys, Pep Boys, Auto Zone they're a lot cheaper and do the same thing

keeslinger31 03-01-2012 01:02 PM

Sure they do the same thing. Filter air. But do that do it as well as a k&n? I would rather have a paper filter than a spectre and a k&n over the paper.

justcallmeclassy 03-01-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by keeslinger31 (Post 5199001)
Sure they do the same thing. Filter air. But do that do it as well as a k&n? I would rather have a paper filter than a spectre and a k&n over the paper.

And for what reason? Every review I've ever read on Spectre says they perform EXACTLY like a K&N, in both longetivity and performance gains. Just because they're cheaper and don't come with a nice sticker for your rear window doesn't mean its an inferior product. Hell the only way you can tell the difference on a PROPERLY MANTAINED one is that it say SPECTRE right on it

keeslinger31 03-01-2012 01:27 PM

Because a spectre filter to me screams cheap teenager from autozone rice rocket pvc looks like balls filter

justcallmeclassy 03-01-2012 02:10 PM

Oh I see. Wanting to save money on an identical product is a bad thing now and makes you riced out.

InfernalVortex 03-01-2012 07:50 PM

I don't think spectre's filters are of any lesser quality than k&n and I've had multiple examples of both. I'm not worried about it in the least. Got a k&n in the closet and a spectre on the car.

RSCAMAROGUY91 03-01-2012 09:07 PM

Personally I've got a K&N filter on my Camaro, and a K&N intake system on my 2000 K2500. I've never had any problems. When I put the filter in the Camaro I didn't notice any real difference in the performance mainly because I already had several other mods done to it. The K2500 was a little different. I noticed That there wasn't as much of a "sucking" sound during acceleration, and I check my millage, and it has consistently gotten about 1-2 mpg better than the stock system. But the main reason that I've gone with K&N is the ability to reuse them.

Ian Irvine 04-09-2012 10:50 AM

I have had the same K&N on my 84 Z28 since 95...still works. I am running a supercharged 383 and there is no power loss with or without the filter on the dyno. I'm a believer.

DethVenture 04-09-2012 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maroonz2800 (Post 5193731)
Are k&n filters worth it? they say they give you a few extra horsepower and better fuel economy blah blah blah blah...do they actually do the job better than your average filter?

Me and my dad put a K&N Air Filter on the family Suburban and it made a difference in engine response and bumped the MPG up to 17-18 from 15-16.

8t2 z-chev 04-09-2012 01:23 PM

I use K&N on my CFI z28 and my porsche and have
found K&N filter and flow very good-whenever i clean
the filters(very easyBTW)i always carefully inspect for
any dust getting past-has always been very clean past
the filters with no dust found:thumbsup:Also the K&Ns fit well,
further protecting against dust getting past.

white1991rs 04-10-2012 06:57 AM

I'd say K&N filters are worth it because they claim its lifetime filter. You can wash it and its brand new and I think there's a warranty if anything happens to it.

calebzman 04-10-2012 10:17 AM

Unless the engine is carbureted, you will not see a mpg change with an air filter change. That myth has been debunked.

I use K&N cone filters in both the TA and cobalt ss.