Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Product Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/)
-   -   Want my car faster (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/686412-want-my-car-faster.html)

MaroBoiLupe 08-07-2013 03:08 AM

Want my car faster

Just wanna know. What parts to buy and what to have done to have more hp to my stock v8 5.0 engine with carburetor. Without spending too much

Blade09 08-07-2013 12:08 PM

Re: Want my car faster

Welcome to TGO! Start by browsing the carburetor section on the boards. This is a very common question that often gets flamed by some of the grumpier members who get tired of constantly answering the same questions.

So my advice would be to read some of the stickies/common threads and do some searching here (tons of great info on these boards compiled by very knowledgeable guys) and then start your own thread asking more specific questions to your car/build in the appropriate section(s). I think you should be able to find your answers pretty easily without even having to wait for someone to tell you.

DeltaElite121 08-07-2013 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Blade09 (Post 5614509)
Welcome to TGO! Start by browsing the carburetor section on the boards. This is a very common question that often gets flamed by some of the grumpier members who get tired of constantly answering the same questions.

So my advice would be to read some of the stickies/common threads and do some searching here (tons of great info on these boards compiled by very knowledgeable guys) and then start your own thread asking more specific questions to your car/build in the appropriate section(s). I think you should be able to find your answers pretty easily without even having to wait for someone to tell you.

it's not the fact we're grumpy, it's simply because this question comes up regularly and it's counter-productive in many regards simply because it teaches this individual "plug and play" and NOT "why does _____ work that way?" ...

To further answer your question: you need to do your homework. First, by looking at how this forum works and operates (along with where to post things in specific sections so moderators don't need to move your posts). The second thing you need to do is just start reading. Plugging parts in while having NO knowledge as to why they work defeats the purpose of your goals while also making you equally as ignorant in the process. We are here to educate eachother, not spoonfeed results. I mean this in the nicest way possible, so don't take this as flaming/raging because that's not my intention. Just speaking the truth on how it goes around here.

So I reiterate - grumpy? No. Higher expectations? Sure.

Blade09 08-07-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121 (Post 5614707)
it's not the fact we're grumpy, it's simply because this question comes up regularly and it's counter-productive in many regards simply because it teaches this individual "plug and play" and NOT "why does _____ work that way?" ...

To further answer your question: you need to do your homework. First, by looking at how this forum works and operates (along with where to post things in specific sections so moderators don't need to move your posts). The second thing you need to do is just start reading. Plugging parts in while having NO knowledge as to why they work defeats the purpose of your goals while also making you equally as ignorant in the process. We are here to educate eachother, not spoonfeed results. I mean this in the nicest way possible, so don't take this as flaming/raging because that's not my intention. Just speaking the truth on how it goes around here.

So I reiterate - grumpy? No. Higher expectations? Sure.

My apologies delta, I was just trying to be polite. I fully understand and agree with what you are saying. I was attempting to keep it light hearted. Too many people scare newbies off and they never get a chance to learn. I just wanted to give the poster advice while still being courteous.

DeltaElite121 08-07-2013 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Blade09 (Post 5614713)
My apologies delta, I was just trying to be polite. I fully understand and agree with what you are saying. I was attempting to keep it light hearted. Too many people scare newbies off and they never get a chance to learn. I just wanted to give the poster advice while still being courteous.

Blade, I was just filling in the gap ;) You're actually right also, and equally as much. Some of us do need to lighten up at times, and I am guilty of it at times. Sometimes it's easy to forget that many of us have asked all the same questions at some point or another. My patience merely grows thin when the SAME person keeps asking those questions and not listening. That's when I get a beef with things.

Ron U.S.M.C. 08-07-2013 05:40 PM

What might be too much money to one person may not be too much to another if faster/quicker is what you want. You can also swap out complete rears but this is what I chose to do.
This is a break down. Some of these parts are necessary for the build and some can be changed to match your personal preference as in brand and style L.S.D./Locker.,etc.
  1. 3.42 ring and pinion =$ 200.00
  2. master bearing kit = $ 90.00
  3. axle bearings and seals = $ 30.00
  4. 28 spline Eaton posi. Unit = $ 500.00 ( highly recommended )
  5. 28 spline axles = $250.00
  6. installation/labor = $ 300.00
  7. and if you want ,a LPW Ultimate support cover = $ 160.00 ( also highly recommended )
  8. Thats $1,530.00 counting the cover.
  9. 3 year warranty on parts and labor
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7874/imgp1291.jpghttp://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1155/imgp1299.jpghttp://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6674/012tkh.jpg

hdavis2005 08-07-2013 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121 (Post 5614718)
Blade, I was just filling in the gap ;) You're actually right also, and equally as much. Some of us do need to lighten up at times, and I am guilty of it at times. Sometimes it's easy to forget that many of us have asked all the same questions at some point or another. My patience merely grows thin when the SAME person keeps asking those questions and not listening. That's when I get a beef with things.

Take these guys advice and you can't go wrong. This site is very informative. My car is running today because of help from this site! Just reading will answer most of your question. Good luck to you.

Chuck84TA 08-07-2013 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by hdavis2005 (Post 5614822)
Take these guys advice and you can't go wrong. This site is very informative. My car is running today because of help from this site! Just reading will answer most of your question. Good luck to you.

True statement. My car would not been even close to as good as it is without the help of TGO. Going faster/more HP out of the 305 is usually the first desire that is echoed.

I felt the same way when I bought my 84 T/A.

To get the most performance out of your third gen, avail yourself to all of the sections on the site. You may find that building a foundation:

1)with a beefed up 9 or 10 bolt like what Ron USMC and I have or go ahead and get a strong aftermarket axle.

2)Consider subframe connectors .... Look also at your suspension for replacement bushings etc.

3) Brakes....are you happy with the response you are getting?

What I noticed is that our third gens react very well to suspension improvements so much that I believe it becomes forgotten so many times by those who are new, I know I never considered it all that important. All I wanted to do is go fast and burn lots of gas. These cars ride and turn very nicely when the suspension and drivetrain are addressed.

Enjoy TGO!
Chuck

Eddie1986z28 08-07-2013 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ron U.S.M.C. (Post 5614750)
What might be too much money to one person may not be too much to another if faster/quicker is what you want. You can also swap out complete rears but this is what I chose to do.
This is a break down. Some of these parts are necessary for the build and some can be changed to match your personal preference as in brand and style L.S.D./Locker.,etc.
  1. 3.42 ring and pinion =$ 200.00
  2. master bearing kit = $ 90.00
  3. axle bearings and seals = $ 30.00
  4. 28 spline Eaton posi. Unit = $ 500.00 ( highly recommended )
  5. 28 spline axles = $250.00
  6. installation/labor = $ 300.00
  7. and if you want ,a LPW Ultimate support cover = $ 160.00 ( also highly recommended )
  8. Thats $1,530.00 counting the cover.
  9. 3 year warranty on parts and labor
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7874/imgp1291.jpghttp://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1155/imgp1299.jpghttp://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6674/012tkh.jpg

very nice setup

NagleMac 08-07-2013 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck84TA (Post 5614883)
True statement. My car would not been even close to as good as it is without the help of TGO. Going faster/more HP out of the 305 is usually the first desire that is echoed.

I felt the same way when I bought my 84 T/A.

To get the most performance out of your third gen, avail yourself to all of the sections on the site. You may find that building a foundation:

1)with a beefed up 9 or 10 bolt like what Ron USMC and I have or go ahead and get a strong aftermarket axle.

2)Consider subframe connectors .... Look also at your suspension for replacement bushings etc.

3) Brakes....are you happy with the response you are getting?

What I noticed is that our third gens react very well to suspension improvements so much that I believe it becomes forgotten so many times by those who are new, I know I never considered it all that important. All I wanted to do is go fast and burn lots of gas. These cars ride and turn very nicely when the suspension and drivetrain are addressed.

Enjoy TGO!
Chuck

I've never seen a post truer than this. Through my experiences with autocross, I've learned that these 305's can lay down some great times if you can upgrade the suspension to handle it. If this is a street car you'll want a gear change and a posi to go in the rear. Get some ws6 sway bars used for $50 each off ebay, along with polybushings/endlinks for them. Look at subframe connectors, wonderbars, or strut tower braces too. After that, a good upgrade is an open element air filter ($40) and a god exhaust set. If you wanna go even further, get some good shocks/struts and some headers and y-pipe.

Now if this is a drag racing car, dump the 305, but it can be used for anything else besides drag racing.

DeltaElite121 08-07-2013 10:33 PM

Naglemac, just for future reference: I bought my IROC/WS6 sway bars NEW from Lon over at TopDown Solutions (TDS) and it wasn't a whole lot more than that. He also has the right end links and bushing for all of the parts to go in easy.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since that really worked out well for me and he also powdercoats them, which was nice.

NagleMac 08-08-2013 01:12 AM

I wish I would have known that! Oh well, I was planning on replacing them next year because I want powdercoated ones. I'll check them out, thanks man.

Blade09 08-08-2013 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121 (Post 5614718)

:thumbsup:

Chuck84TA 08-08-2013 03:05 PM

:D

Originally Posted by Eddie1986z28 (Post 5614903)
very nice setup

So nice, I copied it!

Chuck84TA 08-08-2013 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by NagleMac (Post 5614911)
I've never seen a post truer than this. Through my experiences with autocross, I've learned that these 305's can lay down some great times if you can upgrade the suspension to handle it. If this is a street car you'll want a gear change and a posi to go in the rear. Get some ws6 sway bars used for $50 each off ebay, along with polybushings/endlinks for them. Look at subframe connectors, wonderbars, or strut tower braces too. After that, a good upgrade is an open element air filter ($40) and a god exhaust set. If you wanna go even further, get some good shocks/struts and some headers and y-pipe.

Now if this is a drag racing car, dump the 305, but it can be used for anything else besides drag racing.

Thanks NagleMac!

ringo234 08-08-2013 06:04 PM

Here is what I did in the order I did it. Money has been and always will be an obstacle for me.
1. I had the struts and strut mounts replaced with Monroe (money) 2005
2. joined a local 3rd gen club and hooked up with Dyno Don.
3. My brakes sucked so I bought an LS1 kit from http://bigbrakeupgrade.com/
4. I bought Alston subframe connectors
5. I got headers from Dyno Don and he installed the brakes, subframe connectors,
headers and 3" cat-back exhaust into Magnaflow muffler. --- 2007
6. A member of our club was selling a few things and I picked up a 10 bolt with 3.42
gears, torsen gear type posi made, a big difference off the line. --- 2010
7. Car was now ready for more power
8. Another member of our club "1989GTATransAm" built a new long block so I was
lucky enough to buy his old motor which made close to 400RWHP in his car.
9. traded it to Dyno Don for his motor and a ported intake he had, money still being
a problem but. ---- 2011
10. Added dual cats and now this where I'm at at the moment. -- 2012

$10,000 approx. later
Car now makes ~ 350 RWHP - 380RWTQ.
It is fast but it can stop fast as well.
It handles well and is a blast to drive.

Good Luck