Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Product Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/)
-   -   Hawk's NEW console shifter plate (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/720310-hawks-new-console-shifter.html)

danryanm 06-05-2015 07:55 AM

Hawk's NEW console shifter plate

I tried to modify my original console shifter plate for my T5 conversion, but learned just how brittle that plastic gets after 30 years. The used pieces I found were all damaged in some way, cost about as much as a new one and would still be brittle in the end. Hence, I took a chance on the new reproduction from Hawk's, as well as a pair of new window switches.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a9f0000760.jpg

New shift plate and window switches from Hawk's.

Though not a 100% match (there are some manufacturing "tells" if you look too closely) it is still far and above the way to go if you are doing a conversion or if your original is busted.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...48593d71fd.jpg

New console plate and window switches. There is no longer any evidence this car ever had an automatic...and my windows work.

92GTA 06-05-2015 10:51 AM

Re: Hawk's NEW console shifter plate

Awesome! I really wish they would release the center console and radio pod to go with it! I know they have been working on the center console for like a year.

426 Wedge 07-25-2015 09:38 AM

How mucha ?

danryanm 07-25-2015 02:16 PM

It was about $150 for the plate and $30 for the pair of switches.

badgta 09-08-2015 09:02 PM

Well done Hawks! :)

GCrites80s 09-11-2015 09:57 PM

Oh the stock plastic was just as brittle back when I got my '87 in 1995.

okfoz 09-16-2015 07:21 AM

Looks super good...

Is it me or does it look like the pattern is different where the window and mirror switches would go?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a9f0000760.jpg

Not complaining, still looks awesome.

danryanm 09-16-2015 11:49 AM

It looks the same as my factory piece (or pieces).

Beater79TA 10-01-2015 11:07 AM

How bad was it to cut out the openings for the window switches? I'm considering one of these as well but would need to cut openings for the window switches and the power mirror control.

danryanm 10-01-2015 11:45 AM

It wasn't bad at all. The underside is recessed to show where to cut. The edges of your cut don't need to be perfect, either, as the bezel on the switch will cover up minor defects. However, make sure you only use your weapon of choice from the underside. The chuck on my Dremel got too close and gouged the finished side a little. Even still, it looks much better than what was (or wasn't) there before.

Scorpner 10-01-2015 08:50 PM

You can cut a nice clean hole if you use a drill just inside of each corner. Then cut out the straight parts to the outside edge of each corner hole.

okfoz 10-01-2015 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Scorpner (Post 5967207)
You can cut a nice clean hole if you use a drill just inside of each corner. Then cut out the straight parts to the outside edge of each corner hole.

THen use a flat file to finish...

John

The Project 10-11-2015 04:09 PM

I used a dremmel and flat file to cut the PW and hatch switch openings on my IROC plate.

There are pics in my build thread....

F-body-fan 10-14-2015 04:52 PM

My 89 T/A has a nice center, but has an LED drilled in the middle from a security system. I pulled the security system & left the grommet until I can find something better to fill the hole, or replace it with something like this. 5 Speed only? or will there be automatic options?

okfoz 10-15-2015 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by F-body-fan (Post 5971200)
My 89 T/A has a nice center, but has an LED drilled in the middle from a security system. I pulled the security system & left the grommet until I can find something better to fill the hole, or replace it with something like this. 5 Speed only? or will there be automatic options?

I put my LED for my security system on the easily removable fog light switch holder (left of the steering wheel)... The piece is available from any 85-89 Firebird and it is easy to replace if I ever got rid of the system. I have never figured out why some installers put the little light in some of the most expensive parts of the car.

Drew 03-29-2016 09:17 AM

While I'm glad that someone is having reproduction parts made, and that at least there's something available, it's really too bad they managed to screw up the embossed grid pattern. I would have to assume that the flaw is a result of adding the switch hole locating recesses to the bottom side. The originals didn't have recesses, or markings of any kind, or a visible flaw where the switches would be. They didn't need any markings, since the grid pattern made it fairly easy to judge where the cutouts should be.

It doesn't look like the distortion bothers anyone else much, but it defeats the purpose of buying a "New" part when it's got large cosmetic flaws that stand out as much as the scuffs and scratches, cigarette melt marks, etc on a 30 year old original. For those that install the reproduction in a car with power windows and power mirrors, the flaws will probably be cut out, but for the rest of us... As bad as the flaws look in all the pictures online, they would have to stand out even more so in person.

A person could hope that maybe another vendor will come along and offer a better reproduction, but in a limited market that will probably never happen as long as the flawed reproduction is accepted. Maybe we can hope that they'll fix the distortion in future production runs.

thtanner 03-29-2016 11:54 AM

I still don't know why there isn't an automatic version yet.

Ron U.S.M.C. 03-29-2016 07:31 PM

Here's a little trick I found when dealing with thin plastic.
You use a Soldering Iron like this with the sharp tip.

It will cut through plastic easily.
Just use it to get close to edges then a file to finish it off.

Soooo easy, and if you don't have a dremel tool you won't need one. Although there nice to have.

You can pick up a soldering iron like this at Walmart for a few bucks.
Try it first on something other than your expensive parts to get a feel for it.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...4cef48d.v1.jpg

KITT1983 04-03-2016 07:16 PM

I wonder when the 82-84 trans am shifter consoles will be available

okfoz 04-05-2016 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by KITT1983 (Post 6024669)
I wonder when the 82-84 trans am shifter consoles will be available

I would suspect After the 85-92 Auto Shift plate, if at all... I think one of the problems with the Auto Shift plate, is there are still a lot of them out there, another problem is the fact there were 2 styles from 85-92. The early 85-89 and the 90-92 with the indicator. Might be a logistical thing to decide which one to actually use.

The thing with the 82-84 cars is 1) there seems to be fewer of them left than the 85-92, for obvious reasons, there is only 3 years vs 8 years, so there were less of them made and 2) They are older, so there are fewer of them still exist.

John

mmadden55 04-05-2016 05:36 PM

my center console is a mess, I made a new box cover for it but the center plastic is cracked and broken , the ashtray door missing and the area around the radio is well a mess. I am thinking of building a new top piece out of sheet steel or thin fiber board, have to rebuild the piece around the radio, probably out of sheet steel since the original steel is all hacked up, may be able to epoxy and recover the plastic bits.

yevgenievich 04-07-2016 05:43 PM

Edit: it is there, just could not tell untill looked at it at a different light.

Original: I have just recieved one and it looks fine. Can't tell the pattern of switches from the top.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...edf26361c1.jpg

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6022491)
While I'm glad that someone is having reproduction parts made, and that at least there's something available, it's really too bad they managed to screw up the embossed grid pattern. I would have to assume that the flaw is a result of adding the switch hole locating recesses to the bottom side. The originals didn't have recesses, or markings of any kind, or a visible flaw where the switches would be. They didn't need any markings, since the grid pattern made it fairly easy to judge where the cutouts should be.

It doesn't look like the distortion bothers anyone else much, but it defeats the purpose of buying a "New" part when it's got large cosmetic flaws that stand out as much as the scuffs and scratches, cigarette melt marks, etc on a 30 year old original. For those that install the reproduction in a car with power windows and power mirrors, the flaws will probably be cut out, but for the rest of us... As bad as the flaws look in all the pictures online, they would have to stand out even more so in person.

A person could hope that maybe another vendor will come along and offer a better reproduction, but in a limited market that will probably never happen as long as the flawed reproduction is accepted. Maybe we can hope that they'll fix the distortion in future production runs.

92GTA 04-08-2016 06:54 AM

Awesome, thanks for posting a photo!!!

yevgenievich 04-08-2016 10:17 PM

after looking at it more at different light, there is a cosmetic flaw.
I got excited too fast.https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...ad35314c70.jpg

yevgenievich 04-10-2016 01:02 PM

And installed, other than giving up on replacing the 5 speed pattern to the 6 speed emblem, all fit. The cigarette lighter connections do not match the factory and the power wire does not have a clip to hold on to when plugged in.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...655f002034.jpg

DynoDave43 04-10-2016 01:10 PM

Looks nice! https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...852d35a935.gif

Drew 04-10-2016 04:29 PM

As long as a person has power windows and power mirrors, the repro is fine. Now if a person doesn't have power mirrors, has a practically NOS console, a virtually new auto shifter plate, and would like to do a T56 swap... It's a bit hard to justify removing a perfect auto plate, for a less than perfect reproduction.

It'd be nice to see the aftermarket produce a higher quality of reproduction parts. Maybe if we hold them to a higher standard, it'll happen.

anesthes 04-12-2016 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6027074)
As long as a person has power windows and power mirrors, the repro is fine. Now if a person doesn't have power mirrors, has a practically NOS console, a virtually new auto shifter plate, and would like to do a T56 swap... It's a bit hard to justify removing a perfect auto plate, for a less than perfect reproduction.

It'd be nice to see the aftermarket produce a higher quality of reproduction parts. Maybe if we hold them to a higher standard, it'll happen.

We're lucky they invested the money and time to make it. These cars are not exactly fetching big money at the auctions. They are not big money builds, it's a small niche market.

-- Joe

okfoz 04-12-2016 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by yevgenievich (Post 6027024)
And installed, other than giving up on replacing the 5 speed pattern to the 6 speed emblem, all fit. The cigarette lighter connections do not match the factory and the power wire does not have a clip to hold on to when plugged in.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...655f002034.jpg

To replace the 5 speed with the The 6 Speed shift plate you have to do the following:
1) pop off the glued on the light bulb holder on the back side,
2) pop out the indicator. It might be stuck in there really well. Then the 6 speed shifter plate should seat perfectly right back into the hole of the Stock Original GM part.
3) put a little bit of glue on the lip of the part, you want to make sure you do not use too much glue otherwise it will show.
4) glue the light bulb holder back on

I do not know the best glue, I am not sure what I would use. obivously something for plastic. The shifter indicator I make is made from a High quality Acrylic. The shifter assembly plate is made from ABS I believe.

Please understand I just make them for Hawks, but I do not sell them to anyone else, and I test every single one to make sure they fit.

BTW, the paint is SEM, so it is not impervious to some chemicals, it is simply painted on, so be careful not to use things like alcohols, and Thinners.

Garrison88 04-13-2016 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by thtanner (Post 6022572)
I still don't know why there isn't an automatic version yet.

Well, I've been waiting as well for the automatic shift plate. I was told by the Hawks that there working on it as we speak and it's supposed to be done by mid year. Can't wait!!

thtanner 04-14-2016 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Garrison88 (Post 6028465)
Well, I've been waiting as well for the automatic shift plate. I was told by the Hawks that there working on it as we speak and it's supposed to be done by mid year. Can't wait!!

Good news!

Even though mine is in decent shape (found a used one), I'll probably buy one just to support them for making it as I'll eventually need it, anyways.

anesthes 04-14-2016 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by thtanner (Post 6028485)
Good news!

Even though mine is in decent shape (found a used one), I'll probably buy one just to support them for making it as I'll eventually need it, anyways.

I used to throw them away. There was soo many v6 auto firebirds with good shifter plates, the auto ones are pretty much worthless.

The manual ones used to fetch $100+ but now with the reproduction plates, I suspect they will be soon worthless too.

-- Joe

thtanner 04-14-2016 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 6028555)
I used to throw them away. There was soo many v6 auto firebirds with good shifter plates, the auto ones are pretty much worthless.

The manual ones used to fetch $100+ but now with the reproduction plates, I suspect they will be soon worthless too.

-- Joe

Maybe that used to be the case Joe, but that stock has dried up. Finding quality shift plates is hard. 80s plastic is crappy and brittle, shift boots are worn and torn. Too many people trashed them (ahem) and now a repro is needed. Glad Hawks agrees.

PAFORM350 05-22-2016 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 6027723)
We're lucky they invested the money and time to make it. These cars are not exactly fetching big money at the auctions. They are not big money builds, it's a small niche market.

-- Joe

Exactly!

Brian Laycox 08-02-2021 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by okfoz (Post 6027764)
To replace the 5 speed with the The 6 Speed shift plate you have to do the following:
1) pop off the glued on the light bulb holder on the back side,
2) pop out the indicator. It might be stuck in there really well. Then the 6 speed shifter plate should seat perfectly right back into the hole of the Stock Original GM part.
3) put a little bit of glue on the lip of the part, you want to make sure you do not use too much glue otherwise it will show.
4) glue the light bulb holder back on

I do not know the best glue, I am not sure what I would use. obivously something for plastic. The shifter indicator I make is made from a High quality Acrylic. The shifter assembly plate is made from ABS I believe.

Please understand I just make them for Hawks, but I do not sell them to anyone else, and I test every single one to make sure they fit.

BTW, the paint is SEM, so it is not impervious to some chemicals, it is simply painted on, so be careful not to use things like alcohols, and Thinners.

Yeah...just "pop" it off he says. LOL!
...and snap your shift plate broken at the same time. I just spent a good half hour trying to pry it up with an exacto knife. I tried to heat the knife with fire and still couldn't get it off. Nothin it gonna pop people. $30 for the 6 speed conversion plate, so you better take all your time to do it slow. Im practicing on an old broke. Shift plate so im not too worried about breaking it some more HOWEVER its not looking to good for the 6 speed gear locator plate. Can't get the other one off. Its like melted together, not glued. The glue probably melted it together but still. Dont be thinkin you're gonna "pop" anything off. Its not easy as pie..

okfoz 08-04-2021 07:45 AM

I have done 2...I do remember it being difficult... Not saying it was easy. Just take your time...

yevgenievich 05-21-2022 09:52 AM

Shifter boot did not last long. Started to fall apart last year. Finally replaced it with an older oem from a parts car.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...d74fef9c8f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...e63747af58.jpg

jimmylev 05-21-2022 05:22 PM

Mine was like that. I went to a leather shop and they made me one for $40Canadian.

Originally Posted by yevgenievich (Post 6467063)
Shifter boot did not last long. Started to fall apart last year. Finally replaced it with an older oem from a parts car.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...d74fef9c8f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...e63747af58.jpg