Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Product Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/)
-   -   Delphi MAF Sensor Review (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/aftermarket-product-review/762497-delphi-maf-sensor-review.html)

Reddragon88gta 07-05-2019 09:21 PM

Delphi MAF Sensor Review

Thought I would post a review on here about the mass air flow sensors available for our cars. When I researched a replacement MAF for my L98 GTA I could not find recent info and after having a bad experience with a new Silver streak MAF from advance auto I went with my mechanics advice and got a new Delphi MAF from rock auto. The price was very good (under $150 with shipping) and could not be beat. The part came in excellent packaging that showed quality and the part looked near exact to the original Bosch. The only difference was inside where it did not match the original design. I was worried the sensor would not work properly and throw a code but I was wrong. Installation was very easy and just remember to disconnect the battery before install. The new MAF fixed my problem and it seems the car runs better as well. Overall I highly recommended the Delphi MAF as replacement.

5.7-89GTA 07-07-2019 04:59 PM

Re: Delphi MAF Sensor Review

Thanks for posting. My car is storing code 33 (MAF) and I am just beginning to research this and I find post only TWO days old!

Reddragon88gta 07-08-2019 05:44 AM

Glad you found this useful, after scouring the forum for awhile looking for info on replacement MAFs I couldn’t find much that was current. Hopefully this post saves other people time and money.

RKeats 07-08-2019 09:46 AM

I second this! Put my new Delphi in the other night and it instantly cleared my code and made a huge difference in how the car runs. Quality feels good, came well packaged, and the price was more than right. Definitely would recommend

IROCThe5.7L 07-10-2019 03:37 PM

Does the Delphi have the burn off wire in it? Or is it the circuit board type?

Reddragon88gta 07-10-2019 08:22 PM

I’m not a 100% sure but it looked like a board to me which was why I was initially concerned but it’s been working out great. The style inside was definitely different than the original Bosch.

brianlibby791 07-22-2019 10:40 PM

What were the symptoms you were getting prior to the MAF replacement?

Reddragon88gta 07-23-2019 06:23 AM

My symptoms were not the typical stuff for a bad MAF, so what mine was doing once the car was hot and you shut it down the old sensor would get heat soaked and when you went to restart the hot engine it would tell the computer to dump fuel. When cold the car was fine. Car would smell rich and the exhaust would be smoky. New MAF solved it, it took my mechanic a bit to figure it out with the help of the old brick scan tool.

Neil350 07-23-2019 06:47 PM

Glad it helped you, I am replacing mine with the Delphi, it does look to be the Doll Thick film design as opposed to the Bosch Burn Off.

SbFormula 11-07-2022 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Reddragon88gta (Post 6312486)
Thought I would post a review on here about the mass air flow sensors available for our cars. When I researched a replacement MAF for my L98 GTA I could not find recent info and after having a bad experience with a new Silver streak MAF from advance auto I went with my mechanics advice and got a new Delphi MAF from rock auto. The price was very good (under $150 with shipping) and could not be beat. The part came in excellent packaging that showed quality and the part looked near exact to the original Bosch. The only difference was inside where it did not match the original design. I was worried the sensor would not work properly and throw a code but I was wrong. Installation was very easy and just remember to disconnect the battery before install. The new MAF fixed my problem and it seems the car runs better as well. Overall I highly recommended the Delphi MAF as replacement.

Thanks for the post! I did install the Delphi MAF #AF10320 (Year 2022 production). See: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...t-ok-then.html. It fits perfectly. However, car ran overly rich and stumbling at idle. Figured out that the Delphi MAF has a voltage range different than my 1989 OEM Bosch. It seems to stop at 0.80v at the bottom of the scale and won't go further down. The OEM was at 0.60-0.65 at warm idle (800-750 rpm). That added up over 20% fuel!!!! It seems like the voltage scale is off by about 0.12-0.10 volt on average. It's worst at idle since it won't go under 0.80volts. Threw the old MAF on and the car runs smooth and BLM are decent, no code. The higher the air flow, the less impact the voltage offset has.

Just wanted to share my experience.

I'll try to keep the old MAF for now but if it starts acting up again, I won't have choice. That means retuning MAF tables, Open Loop and PE-WOT using AFR gauge. Lots of work you say?... hahah

UPDATE:
Just ran an airflow test on the Delphi MAF. With no airflow, it is stuck at 0.80volts. This is definitely an inconvenience to say the least. The OEM BOSCH has a voltage of 0.04volts with no air flow. That means that for a stock LB9 305 it will mess-up idle big time with OEM tune. I'm not even sure I can tune the MAF table since the Delphi MAF reaches 0.80 volts at 850RPM idle. Between 750-850 rpm warm idle it is stuck at 0.80 volts. MAF tables would have to be retuned starting at 850 RPM (0.80volts) and let the BLM/INT compensate under 850 rpm. WOW!

SbFormula 03-26-2023 12:20 PM

Interesting thread regarding Delphi MAF #AF10320 malfunctioning

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...f-reading.html

Reddragon88gta 03-26-2023 02:17 PM

I tried the brand new BSE in 2019 (non hot wire with no Bosch labeling) and it immediately threw a code and I returned it. It looks like the BSE reman or Cardone are now the way to with the Delphi issues.

I had a Delphi MAF in 2019 and 2020 that worked “good” (no data unfortunately) but it fell off my bench when doing an intake upgrade and broke at the connector. I went with a used OE Bosch after that which has worked well, but good to know there are some MAFs out there to use as many old threads ppl had problems with the remans.

SbFormula 10-12-2023 05:26 PM

I finally installed the BSE #27854 (Bosch MAF remanufactured)

I captured a data log before and immediately after installing. The MAF voltage is the same as the old MAF. So, it works great. BLM and AFR at WOT were right on.

The reman looks exactly like the OEM I had.

Good to know.

FYI:
BSE #27854 = '86-'89 (Reman)
BSE #57584 = '86-'89 (NEW)
BSE #57878 = '88-'89 (NEW)
Cardone #744712 = '86-'89 (Reman)
Cardone #864712 = '86-'89 (NEW)

Reddragon88gta 10-12-2023 06:55 PM

Thanks for posting that info, it will be helpful to those in need of a new one.