Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Alternative Port EFI Intakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/alternative-port-efi-intakes/)
-   -   Aftermarket Cold Air Intake (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/alternative-port-efi-intakes/623830-aftermarket-cold-air-intake.html)

brando278705 08-07-2011 09:50 PM

Aftermarket Cold Air Intake

I am looking for an alternative intake besides the stock one the Iroc Tpi's come with. I have a Built 350 with mini-ram intake and I feel like its getting robbed from power with the stock one. Does anyne know of anywhere that I can get a good cold air intake??

itsMikey 08-07-2011 09:58 PM

Re: Aftermarket Cold Air Intake

no one sells one anymore but you can check out this site and build your own

http://www.intakehoses.com/

1ADan 08-08-2011 06:47 PM

i too built my own from siliconeintakes.com. just about $100 when everything was done

88fastgta 08-08-2011 07:52 PM

i got a slp cold air intake off here about three years ago.... a nice big black looking box that mounts on the fenderwell and came with stock looking boots but slp put in two airfoils to help direct airlfow.... nice little unit, too bad they stop selling these a long time ago...

brando278705 08-08-2011 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright thanks alot guys, Ill take a look at those websites and see what I can come up with. I found one at a car show that was made by spectre but there website is a pain and I couldnt find anything close to it. But I dont think I can work a MAF Sensor in there.

Attachment 387122

INTIMIDATOR Z 08-10-2011 08:47 AM

im goin to be havin one built again for my new car. it should work with tpi motors and fit under the stock hood.

heres mroe info and a pic of what itll sorta look like.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...ai-market.html

Orr89RocZ 08-10-2011 09:21 AM

With a gutted MAF and a gutted TPI air box, where you cut the filter bottoms out and install ducting to the grille area for a "ram air" effect, you will have enough air flow for 400whp. thats a mid 11 second car. If your not faster than that, you dont really need a cold air intake. The factory "ram air" type setup gets as cold air as you will find :)

88fastgta 08-10-2011 09:30 AM

what about for the firebirds.. how well does the slp cold air intake do.... because i have one and im wondering if that a restriction.... ive always wondered that....

Orr89RocZ 08-10-2011 09:34 AM

Not too familar with those, but if it maintains good diameter atleast 3" all the way to filter then it should be ok, but the longer the run, you should increase diameter.

Its easy to make CAI on these cars. You can use exhaust pipe but aluminum is better if you can find it. Just need a 90 bend, a straight piece and another 90 or 45 to put a filter in the battery box area or charcoal area. Then drill some holes in the battery pan area or that charcoal canister area and put in some dryer ducting under neath to force air up into that location. CAI done :)

88fastgta 08-10-2011 10:15 AM

ive thought about doing this but its a little harder with the maf in the way of things... i think for my goals i think the slp cold air kit is good enough for me anyways....

1ADan 08-10-2011 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's what i did for mine. would have been simpler, but i couldnt find the correct reducer size elbow for my MAF.

Attachment 387012

88fastgta 08-10-2011 10:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
ill just stick with this... now if i could get my hands on the double cold air intake goes on each side of the fender that slp used to make for these cars that would be awesome... the boots have airfoils rivited in there by slp and the slp box came with a k&n airfilter... also the iat is relocated at the slp box...

Attachment 387010

it bolts right onto the fender where it gets all the cold air instead of the hot engine bay.... a much better design than the factory piece for sure..

Attachment 387011

Orr89RocZ 08-10-2011 12:07 PM

The Stock MAF housing makes it abit more difficult. For mine, I ended up making a 3.5" housing and put the stock MAF guts inside of it. I didnt pick up anything at the track with the 3.5" MAF and CAI piping so that lead me to believe the TPI air box flows alot more than you would think.

You could take the internals out of the stock MAF and put it in a 3" straight pipe so that normal silicone couplers will attach to it. May require slight tweaking of the MAF tables since the housing would be alittle different. 3.5" requires substantial tuning

88fastgta 08-10-2011 12:24 PM

yea im going to have to take your advice because the throttle body on the first is huge and i had to cut the boot so it can even mount onto the throttlebody and its a VERY tight fit... i have to wrestle it on there for about 5 minutes... im just going to go to intakehoses.com and make up my own custom ducting....

BlackenedBird 08-10-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 88fastgta (Post 5005787)
also the iat is relocated at the slp box...

The stock IAT is not only in a bad heat sinked location, but it is also just a Coolant Temp. Sensor!

Buy an actual IAT, locate it in the air tubing like behind the MAF or wherever behind the filter if your MAS. Camaro guys have it easy since they can just buy a Y-piece for a V6 3rd gen Camaro. Firebird guys have to get a bit creative of drilling a hole & securing the new IAT in there.
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=24

Orr89RocZ 08-10-2011 12:37 PM

Thats really the best bet for that, since the TB is huge, theres no easy way to hook everything up.

You can do the speed density swap or do a custom CAI that will work with the MAF. My buddy's firebird has a nice custom made MAF 3" air intake system. I'll see if i can find pics.

88fastgta 08-10-2011 12:41 PM

yea i replaced my iat sensor from a tbi car.... it has holes in it where as the stock tpi is just a solid metal tab..... i did this years ago and used that exact same website when i did the mod...

Orr89RocZ 08-10-2011 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 387004

88fastgta 08-10-2011 12:46 PM

ive also thought about switching over to speed density.... but im not sure whats involved....

88fastgta 08-10-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ (Post 5005898)

that looks very familar.. ive seen alot of those on ebay.... i never thought of that.. i might have to get one... that would save me at bunch in parts...

Orr89RocZ 08-10-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 88fastgta (Post 5005900)
ive also thought about switching over to speed density.... but im not sure whats involved....

Simple repin the ecm. Need the speed density 730 ecm and extra connector since those ecms have 3 connectors while the MAF stuff only has 2.

Add a Map sensor and run wires back to the new computer and thats about it. Need to retune everything starting with a factory speed density bin tune ofcourse.

Orr89RocZ 08-10-2011 01:44 PM

And that intake is the ebay one for like $60 bucks

88fastgta 08-10-2011 04:46 PM

i think i will get that intake on ebay.. i hope they have different colors like black instead of the blue....

1989GTATransAm 08-10-2011 04:54 PM

Back to IAT for a moment. Would there be a difference or advantage using the V6 IAT in the TPI factory location. Also does anyone have a part number for the V6 IAT or what year(s) to search for?

88fastgta 08-10-2011 05:13 PM

1989gtatransam just go to the parts stores and ask for a iat sensor for a 1990 tbi camaro.. it made a difference for me when I relocated the sensor to the slp air box.. i had to drill a small hole in the box and get a grommet and use sealant to seal it all up...its hidden under the boot so it looks factory...the factory plug is solid compared to the tbi unit being an open sensor..... i noticed that the car ran a bit better and didnt seem to get hot like it did before...... i say its worth the upgrade... .. this gives the computer the true reading of temps instead of it being heat soaked by the Plenum.. u will have to lengthen the wires of course..

88fastgta 08-10-2011 06:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
idk why gm does such stupid things but here are some pics of the IAT mod on my car....

Attachment 386991
Attachment 386992

Attachment 386993

1989GTATransAm 08-10-2011 06:39 PM

Thanks, I will look into it.

Orr89RocZ 08-10-2011 06:54 PM

I'm running code $59 in the ecm, which is modifed syclone/typhoon turbo truck code. I am currently using the stock MAT sensor from the 89 MAF based system. I plan on ordering the syclone MAT and relocating it in front of the TB. Right now my IAT does not respond to intake temps.

The hotter the car gets, it will reach around 150 deg but thats just from heatsoak over time. During a 10 second 1/4 mile run, i know intake air temps are getting warmer due to compression from the turbos, but the MAT doesnt read any difference :)

So i hope to see it work better with the other MAT

I heard that on MAF systems, the MAT isnt even used except for one minor part of the code but doesnt really do anything with normal fueling? I'd have to read over the ARAP hack again.

1989GTATransAm 08-10-2011 07:29 PM

From what I have read on a MAF system the IAT only affects the EGR and how much to heat the sensing wire in the MAF. On a speed density car it is another matter as it will affect the fuel tables. Seeing as I have my plenum and whole intake system for that matter coated with a ceramic thermal heat barrier coating the IAT temperature in the factory location has dropped dramatically. However it is still 15-20 degrees over ambient. So I am considering putting in a true IAT sensor in the factory location. I am hoping it is not as susceptible to heat soak.

Orr89RocZ 08-10-2011 10:14 PM

Thats my fear....i have ALOT of heat under hood. My intake pipes are steel not aluminum, since I cant weld aluminum :) They get hot and stay hot. Sucks, I hope to replace it someday

1989GTATransAm 08-10-2011 10:59 PM

"My intake pipes are steel"

.....and heavy. :D There was a noticeable difference when I changed my CAI pipe from steel to aluminum.

Orr89RocZ 08-11-2011 08:27 AM

yeah its heavy, theres alot of weight on the front end of this car these days....I gotta get it lightened up.

Maybe during my rebuilt over the next 5 months or so I'll look into that. My welder can do aluminum, it just needs set up for it. If I could just tack the pipes together I can have my friend finish weld them. I only have to weld maybe 2 or 3 sections, the rest can be fit together with couplers, but i'd have to have a bead welded around the lip of the pipe to keep them from blowin off.

Mr Froman 08-28-2011 07:22 PM

Man these plug wires look great on these cars...mine still has all the emissions stuff so it's a pain to get a good route.

brando278705 09-13-2011 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ (Post 5005740)
With a gutted MAF and a gutted TPI air box, where you cut the filter bottoms out and install ducting to the grille area for a "ram air" effect, you will have enough air flow for 400whp. thats a mid 11 second car. If your not faster than that, you dont really need a cold air intake. The factory "ram air" type setup gets as cold air as you will find :)

Yeah Im pushing over 400hp, it acts like it doesn't get enough air at times so im going to try the ducting approach to see if it gets me where i need to be.

brando278705 09-13-2011 06:20 PM

That thing looks super clean man! I like how it looks

Orr89RocZ 09-13-2011 06:29 PM

Thats my buddy's car. Its a clean ride. Whats all done to your 350? Approaching 400whp is pretty serious build. You may want to look into a 3.5" MAF setup to see if that helps you as well. I think it helped just a tad bit on my 383 but track times didnt seem to show anything. I never redyno tuned it tho, just track tune

brando278705 09-13-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ (Post 5038979)
Thats my buddy's car. Its a clean ride. Whats all done to your 350? Approaching 400whp is pretty serious build. You may want to look into a 3.5" MAF setup to see if that helps you as well. I think it helped just a tad bit on my 383 but track times didnt seem to show anything. I never redyno tuned it tho, just track tune

Thats cool, well his car looks real clean. I have done a lot. The car originally came with a 305. I got to researching and I put together a build from the ground up. Just started with a block and bought every single part brand new, Bigger heads, 40# injectors, miniram intake, mutha thumpr cam, stud girdles, and a bunch of other things. I am going to probably post a build thread once i get the thing completely tuned in and done tweaking with a few things, I will defiantly keep you posted if your interested. The build was spec'd at pulling 493 hp outta a carbed engine. So im excepting to be pulling a bit more than that. I could be wrong but who knows. Planning on getting some sort of forced induction together over the winter.

brando278705 09-13-2011 08:53 PM

Oh, btw Sorry to start another post but Orr89RocZ I checked out your build and that thing looks wicked!. Where do you go to get your computer reprogrammed at? The only place I know about to tuned these things is in minnesota. I have always wanted to get a twin turbo kit together but honestly don't know enough about them yet to get a set-up together.

brando278705 09-20-2011 10:17 PM

brando278705 09-28-2011 10:01 AM

anymore sweet intake photos?

Orr89RocZ 09-28-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by brando278705 (Post 5039219)
Oh, btw Sorry to start another post but Orr89RocZ I checked out your build and that thing looks wicked!. Where do you go to get your computer reprogrammed at? The only place I know about to tuned these things is in minnesota. I have always wanted to get a twin turbo kit together but honestly don't know enough about them yet to get a set-up together.

I tune everything myself. You have to or else you'd never beable to do a build like this on stock electronics. You'd have to go FAST XFI or something. Thats one of the problems with these cars, not many do tunes so people have good parts on their motor but never fully tune them and dont get the results they are after.

brando278705 09-28-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ (Post 5052595)
I tune everything myself. You have to or else you'd never beable to do a build like this on stock electronics. You'd have to go FAST XFI or something. Thats one of the problems with these cars, not many do tunes so people have good parts on their motor but never fully tune them and dont get the results they are after.

Yeah exactly. What software did you pick up to do so? I would like to get into tuning my own. I understand all the computer concepts, I feel like playing with it would help me learn a little more. If you could give me some more info and software and a few things I need, I would greatly appreciate it.

Orr89RocZ 09-28-2011 07:59 PM

I use the chip adapter from moates.net along with their burn2 programmer and aldl cable. I downloaded tunerpro RT for the software to tune.

brando278705 09-28-2011 09:47 PM

Alright,

Is this the Burn2 programmer?
http://www.moates.net/burn2-chip-pro....html?cPath=64

This the right ALDL cable kit?
http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl....html?cPath=64

Where do you get the chips to flash? I didn't see any of the ones I would need at moats website. Even though the chip that is in my car at the moment is from moates. I'm a noob to the programming world, sorry if I sound ignorant.

Orr89RocZ 09-29-2011 09:43 AM

buy his GP1 package adapter with 2 chips

brando278705 09-29-2011 10:09 PM

sounds good, thanks, I will try to figure all this jazz out!

BlackenedBird 09-29-2011 10:26 PM

I just bought one like that on eBay, for $38 shipped & the last piece that turns down to the filter looks to be a bit longer. Like maybe it could be tweaked to get cold air from below & not just suck hot air from inside the engine compartment. It should be here by Wed. next week.

brando278705 09-30-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird (Post 5054199)
I just bought one like that on eBay, for $38 shipped & the last piece that turns down to the filter looks to be a bit longer. Like maybe it could be tweaked to get cold air from below & not just suck hot air from inside the engine compartment. It should be here by Wed. next week.

Did you buy it from a single person or like a company? (i.e. do they have more?) If so share the link with us.

BlackenedBird 09-30-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by brando278705 (Post 5054518)
Did you buy it from a single person or like a company? (i.e. do they have more?) If so share the link with us.

No. It is Top Secret! :lmao:

Link to it in the 1st post, in the other CAI thread currently running here on TGO.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...ml#post5053066

brando278705 10-01-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird (Post 5054529)
No. It is Top Secret! :lmao:

Link to it in the 1st post, in the other CAI thread currently running here on TGO.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...ml#post5053066

haha sounds good, wish it didn't come in just a blue and red color. Black would be nice.