Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Alternative Port EFI Intakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/alternative-port-efi-intakes/)
-   -   Where should I start and with what? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/alternative-port-efi-intakes/782560-where-should-i-start.html)

Briar 09-10-2022 09:07 PM

Where should I start and with what?

I have a very good 350 that the intake manifold is not happy with the block. Im ready to pull the whole deal after 3x trying to seal stuff up. But... I want to keep the rear end. Parts are hard to come by so searching around here is moot. Can anybody say recently they did manifold, cam, headers, and efi or of the like and worked good? Not looking for crazy hp just clean up what I have and make a stronger runner. Thanka

anesthes 09-13-2022 08:16 AM

Re: Where should I start and with what?

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 6478871)
I have a very good 350 that the intake manifold is not happy with the block. Im ready to pull the whole deal after 3x trying to seal stuff up. But... I want to keep the rear end. Parts are hard to come by so searching around here is moot. Can anybody say recently they did manifold, cam, headers, and efi or of the like and worked good? Not looking for crazy hp just clean up what I have and make a stronger runner. Thanka

Hundreds of different combos, depending on what you want to do. The ebay single plane EFI manifold and 4bbl throttle body is a cheap and good choice. Miniram works great too.

What year is the block? Keeping the factory ECM ?

-- Joe

Briar 09-13-2022 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 6479162)
Hundreds of different combos, depending on what you want to do. The ebay single plane EFI manifold and 4bbl throttle body is a cheap and good choice. Miniram works great too.

What year is the block? Keeping the factory ECM ?

-- Joe

Thanks. Its an 89 and I was thinking of keeping the ecm since I just spent 200 to have it fixed. Was having fan issues. I'm having a hard time finding choices cuz alot of stuff isn't available or its going to be a while. And like you said lots of combos. If I have to change out the fuel pump I would. Im not looking for crazy hp. Dont want to mess with the rear. Just a noticeable bump.

anesthes 09-13-2022 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 6479184)
Thanks. Its an 89 and I was thinking of keeping the ecm since I just spent 200 to have it fixed. Was having fan issues. I'm having a hard time finding choices cuz alot of stuff isn't available or its going to be a while. And like you said lots of combos. If I have to change out the fuel pump I would. Im not looking for crazy hp. Dont want to mess with the rear. Just a noticeable bump.

Unfortunately, the factory heads and intake are poor flowing on these cars. To 'wake them up' you really need to do heads, intake, cam, exhaust or if keeping the engine stock a small turbo or supercharger.

A couple years ago I did a CC305 cam on a LT1 I build, ported heads, exhaust. Car makes over 400 horsepower and is great on the street with a 6 speed. I imagine the same cam with some aftermarket heads, and a miniram or stealthram intake would make close to the same horsepower. My LT1 is 11:1 compression, but I can get away with that due to the reverse cooling. The SBC probably keep it 10.5:1 or under.

-- Joe

Briar 09-13-2022 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 6479185)
Unfortunately, the factory heads and intake are poor flowing on these cars. To 'wake them up' you really need to do heads, intake, cam, exhaust or if keeping the engine stock a small turbo or supercharger.

A couple years ago I did a CC305 cam on a LT1 I build, ported heads, exhaust. Car makes over 400 horsepower and is great on the street with a 6 speed. I imagine the same cam with some aftermarket heads, and a miniram or stealthram intake would make close to the same horsepower. My LT1 is 11:1 compression, but I can get away with that due to the reverse cooling. The SBC probably keep it 10.5:1 or under.

-- Joe

Thanks Joe. Ill get to seeing what heads are available. I wasnt planning on doing them but seems the proper starting point.

DynoDave43 09-16-2022 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 6478871)
I have a very good 350 that the intake manifold is not happy with the block.

Is this the issue you are fighting with the current setup?

Briar 09-16-2022 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by DynoDave43 (Post 6479602)
Is this the issue you are fighting with the current setup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uekwNIYCRrM&t=297s

kind of. It has a pretty large gap in the valleys and I'm not getting a good seal with my gasket on the back. I thought about having the manifold machined but don't know how that works. Dont they need the car/engine to know what is out of whack? I've torn it apart 3 times in about a year. Each time trying something alittle different. Think its time to do something alot different. Thanks for the vid!

ULTM8Z 09-16-2022 01:34 PM

The question too is what you're willing to do tuning-wise.

Something like a miniram or stealth ram is going tk require significant retuning as theyre difficult to get just right.

Otherwise probably get a high flow TPI set up.