Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   Do you think this would be wrong? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/152410-do-you-think-would.html)

fast83camaro 01-02-2003 12:15 AM

Do you think this would be wrong?

Ok tell me somethin guys, I'm putting a built 350 in my 83 Camaro SC. It came with a 2.8 V6. I bought an 83 Z28 parts car (has a title), for the transmission. It has most of the ground effects, rear bumper cover, sway bars, braces, etc for a Z28. It's banged up pretty bad and has crappy aftermarket t-tops and 1 is missing. Would y'all think it was wrong to take the VIN tag off of the Z28 and put it on my SC (which doen't have a title) when I replace the windshield, so my SC will have a title from a Z28? I plan on putting all of the Z28 stuff (ground effects, etc.) on my SC to make it match the VIN.

Thanks

Ward 01-02-2003 12:33 AM

Well, Its illegal. Also, the VIN is on other locations of the car, like on stickers on teh body panels. Why not use the Z28 parts car which has a legitimate title, and fix it up?

fast83camaro 01-02-2003 12:53 AM

First of all, its too old to have the stickers on the other body panels. Also, the Z28 is all banged up and has aftermarket t-tops and one is gone, and its not worth trying to fix the body when the SC body is perfect. SEE?

devianb 01-02-2003 01:13 AM

Even though it is illegal, I doubt that anyone will notice unless they closely inspected car. I still would not do it though on the off chance that someone would find out.

CrazyHawaiian 01-02-2003 04:36 AM

I would say its only "wrong" if you tried to sell it to someone and pass it off as a Z28 to make extra profit. If you are just doing it for your personal enjoyment and dont plan to ever sell the car, then you do what you want. Just remember that if you try to use that VIN for your registraion / insurance you risk going to jail for real. Federal Offences are not something you should play with. Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket on a military base? Its on your record for 7 years. Federal Speeding Ticket. I wouldnt mess with it if I were you. I'm putting 91-92 Z28 GFX on my 90 RS but I'm not messing with the VIN.

MetalliCamaroRS 01-02-2003 08:25 AM

I wouldn't do it. Its a SC, always will be a SC so leave it at that. Its not worth jail.

AJ_92RS 01-02-2003 10:57 AM

The main reason I bought an RS is insurance costs. :D They'll never know about the motor swap until I tell them. And if I do decide to tell them, I'd be smart to insure it as a "Specialty Vehicle"

Changing the VIN that your car has is gonna have to be changed at the insurance company so if you do have an accident, then they'll pay for it.

If you have a different VIN on the car, and you crash, and your insurance company finds out :eek: your gonna need a rubber suit because THE SH!T'S GONNA HIT THE FAN!!!!!! :sillylol:

GarageToys 01-02-2003 11:19 AM

Since you own both cars, and you're going to convert the sc to Z28 specs anyway, I don't think anyone would be the wiser.

You know, unless you POST IT ON A MESSAGE BOARD!

:doh:

Cruzin Kaz 01-02-2003 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Firebird 383
Since you own both cars, and you're going to convert the sc to Z28 specs anyway, I don't think anyone would be the wiser.

You know, unless you POST IT ON A MESSAGE BOARD!

:doh:

My thoughts exactly! Either way it is illegal, and wrong, exspecailly if you claim it as a Z when and if you ever sell it. Don't bother. Do it legal and save yourself alot of future headaches. Plus the Z will cost more for insurance probably.

LT1guy 01-02-2003 11:54 AM

Do you even need a title on an 83 model in Alabama? Anything 85 or older is exempt in GA, all you need is a bill of sale to register it. If thats true there, I wouldn't bother with changing the VIN. Bssides, its highly illegal, and there are hidden VINs stamped onto various parts of the car that may be difficult to find, if you don't know where they are.

bradkeith 01-02-2003 03:12 PM

I just have to add that why would you want to change the VIN tag other than to fool people? This sounds harsh, but no one looks at your vin when your out crusing, saying damn, not a z-28 vin is it? I wouldn't waste the time swapping it. Besides, how honest will you appear if you try and sell it to someone, and you're trying to explain why the vin tag reads different.

If i ever came across something like that i would run far, FAR, away!!! my .02 cents

FLYNLOW92rs 01-02-2003 05:04 PM

Don't change the VIN, really what's the point of it....

Hey i got a Z28, Check the VIN.....:D.......leave it alone......

Camarokid01 01-02-2003 07:07 PM

thats pointless, I changed everything on my car so it doesn look like a SC anymore but I still have the same vin. know one is gonna know the difference anyways so why change it, only reason would be to fool someone that is buying it down the road.

Cruzin Kaz 01-02-2003 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Camarokid01
thats pointless, I changed everything on my car so it doesn look like a SC anymore but I still have the same vin. know one is gonna know the difference anyways so why change it, only reason would be to fool someone that is buying it down the road.
I now know not to buy anything from you;) J/K:D What he wants to do is illegal. If he wants a real Z then buy one...simple as that. Don't encourage him to lie and commit a fraudulent act. You be a accesory now LOL;)

FLYNLOW92rs 01-02-2003 07:21 PM

Try telling the local cop that pulls you over that you just innocently traded VIN numbers with a wrecked car, because you want a Z28...I know if you were down here in Florida, you would be in jail before you could even start an explanation....:eek:

****What about taking the frame and such from the nice car and modifying it to the wrecked one....

You are taking new parts and placing them on a vin number.....you are NOT changing the VIN number, just changing the REST of the car......THAT'S NOT ILLEGAL....;) ;)

lbrohez 01-02-2003 07:21 PM

have you looked at the rivots that hold it down, those rivets are very expensive to buy and arent regular rivots, and if you for chance think the car you want to keep is stolen do it but if not, get either a lost title or pop off the vin number, call the state, not sure what department they will come out give you a new vin number and a new title for the car. Last time i checked to get a new vin number it was 125$ in illinois a few years back.

SLOWFIVEOH 01-02-2003 07:51 PM

I've done tag swaps on 2 VWs and a 69 GTO clone.The VWs were easy swap. On the GTO I cut the bottoms of the rivets flush on the bottom of the tag I was putting in and crazy glued the whole thing in...Looked factory.... Here in Virginia it take over 2 months and TONS of paper work to even come close to getting a title.

85_ZED28 01-02-2003 08:03 PM

stupid question: how can a car lose its title?

@ZZKKER 01-02-2003 10:28 PM

say your someone like momar, (who is not very organized) and set the title in a box of "important papers" only to through itt away 2 years later thinking that it is a pile of junk. or, you are in need of money so you bet the car in a poker match, and you loose. so you get the winner all drunk and leave after he is passed out. then you have no title and there is a pissed off guy looking for the name on the tiltle, even though he cant remember what he looks like. that is how titles are lost.

thanks

bad84z 01-02-2003 10:32 PM

Re: Do you think this would be wrong?

Originally posted by fast83camaro
Ok tell me somethin guys, I'm putting a built 350 in my 83 Camaro SC. It came with a 2.8 V6. I bought an 83 Z28 parts car (has a title), for the transmission. It has most of the ground effects, rear bumper cover, sway bars, braces, etc for a Z28. It's banged up pretty bad and has crappy aftermarket t-tops and 1 is missing. Would y'all think it was wrong to take the VIN tag off of the Z28 and put it on my SC (which doen't have a title) when I replace the windshield, so my SC will have a title from a Z28? I plan on putting all of the Z28 stuff (ground effects, etc.) on my SC to make it match the VIN.

Thanks

If I was going to try it, I wouldn't advertise it on a board with thousands of people from all around. Especially when there are police officers that visit the boards also. And if I was going to advertise it, I would probably erase my location and profile, HINT HINT. Just a thought though.

fast83camaro 01-02-2003 10:49 PM

Thanks for all your replys guys!

Now to inform some of y'all who didn't read my post all the way through, or things I left out:doh::

Ok, first of all, my SC never ran while I have owned it, was never registered to me, and the owner before me lost the title, that's why I got the car for $100.

The Z28 body is a total piece of crap, and hasn't been registered in 2 years.

I'd only be using the shell of my SC so it would be really hard to tell if it wasn't original to the Z28 VIN. All Z28 equipment would be swapped to the SC body!

I wouldn't lie to the person I sold it to, telling them that it was a true Z28.

But, after I have read everybody's posts, I have come to a conclusion (and being that majority rules), I will file for a lost title.

It has been undecided whether or not I plan on making my car look as if it was a Z28 (because I'm really starting to like the look of my SC the way it is), but I will upgrade the suspension to Z28 specs.

So, in conclusion, I will be registering my SC with it's originally VIN.:)

Thanks again for your help guys!

bad84z 01-02-2003 11:08 PM

I think we all read your post, but the main point is, you cant just go swapping vin #'S. I am sure a you could tell it had been tampered with. I think they even use a special kind of rivit to fasten them down. Nobody wants to see you get in trouble, we are not trying to be @sses or anything, just lookin out for ya. You know, like a little brother or somethin like that. You would be much better off filing for that lost title like you said, GOOD CHOICE.

fast83camaro 01-02-2003 11:15 PM

I know, I didn't think anyone was being an ***, and I appreciate everyone's replies.