Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   Meguiars Polishing Compound v 3M (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/241835-meguiars-polishing-compound-v.html)

grngryoutmyway 05-20-2004 06:05 PM

Meguiars Polishing Compound v 3M

Anyone used the Meguiars and how did you like the results?

I'm getting ready to do some buffing on my car... and I cant find 3M polishing compound ANYWHERE!! I got the fine rubbing compound and some swirl remover and did a test run on the headlight pocket with my orbital buffer. It looks ok but you can still kinda make out swirl marks... will the Meguiars polishing compound help this or should I continue on my endless search for the 3M (I've got a show next weekend so ordering online isnt really feasable)

Any other tips on buffing would be appreciated as well :D

adambros 05-20-2004 06:49 PM

Re: Meguiars Polishing Compound v 3M

Originally posted by grngryoutmyway
Anyone used the Meguiars and how did you like the results?

I'm getting ready to do some buffing on my car... and I cant find 3M polishing compound ANYWHERE!! I got the fine rubbing compound and some swirl remover and did a test run on the headlight pocket with my orbital buffer. It looks ok but you can still kinda make out swirl marks... will the Meguiars polishing compound help this or should I continue on my endless search for the 3M (I've got a show next weekend so ordering online isnt really feasable)

Any other tips on buffing would be appreciated as well :D

NAPA Auto parts, at least in my area, stocks the 3M Professional line of cleaners, polishers, and rubbing compounds.

A good source for detailing tips

SC82TA 05-20-2004 07:21 PM

I suggest you try and look again. At some of the Pep Boy's here as well as others places they don't always have the 3M stuff where they have all the other polishes and waxes. They sometimes have it in the section where they have the bondo and sand paper and paint remover for some reason.

grngryoutmyway 05-20-2004 07:34 PM

Cool I'll try NAPA tommorow, Pep Boys had like 5 or 6 different 3M detailing stuff but no Polishing Compound and I checked like 3 stores and asked people and they all said they didn't carry it.

Project-ROC 05-22-2004 01:26 AM

Oreilly's stocks 3M rubbing compound. at least in my area. It is also in the paint department. I just painted my car and I will be buffing with 3M Perfect-it III...which I recommend and have used it many times with great results. Once you buff the shine back, use a good swirl mark remover/polish with a clean foam pad. 3M makes a good swirl remover but I can't think of the name??

cdh67 05-22-2004 06:58 PM

Order some True Finish from autobodystore.com it blows away 3M and Meguires.So simple to use.

grngryoutmyway 05-22-2004 10:12 PM

Yea I've actually got perfect it III, rubbing compound (perfect it II), and the swirl remover (perfect it).. I thought I was supposed to use a polishing compound after the rubbing.. but I guess they changed the system, I picked up some hand glaze just for fun too... so I should be ok :D I ended up finding everything at Pep Boys and NAPA