Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   lost some serious weight. not she sits higher in the front (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/249433-lost-some-serious-weight.html)

BOTTLEDZ28 07-08-2004 08:01 PM

lost some serious weight. not she sits higher in the front

my car dont sit right now. I took a lot of weight off the front of her and the gap is twice as big now in the wheel well. I put on the fiberglass hood, removed emissons, A/C, stock pulleys, and brackets, switched to aluminum heads, and a few others things here and there. I hope she settles down once I take her for her maiden voyage. Maybe she just sit a little high since the car has been jacked up in the air for 9 monthes and now that she back on the ground the suspension just needs to be moved around a little.

meanfarmer 07-08-2004 08:09 PM

very nice look-N car..:cool:

FLYNLOW92rs 07-08-2004 09:22 PM

My car also raised up in the front when i did my weight removal.........:rolleyes:

It's starting to settle back down, but it's still not back to the same height it was before........

meridius 07-08-2004 09:36 PM

It is going to set higher than before but should settle down a bit since you had the suspension sagging all that time it has to settle back into place.

ShiftyCapone 07-08-2004 10:25 PM

You are going to half to cut a half coil or so. The springs will not settle any more than a tiny bit if they are new. It will take a very long time for them to wear out and sag. They were desinged to have much more wiehgt on the front end. You are probably upwards of 100lbs lighter than stock.

xpndbl3 07-08-2004 11:39 PM

since i whacked out around 110 pounds off the front so far, I too need to take the suspension back apart and cut off half a coil, reinstall and try it out again. Right now my caster(or is it camber....i'm tired) makes the tires look like the tops are pointing out since I've gutted so much, including the power steering, A/C, front sway bar, etc etc and the impact bar has been lightened and braced slightly as well. Front sits higher by about an inch now at least. Putting on the 165R15 tires helped lower the front back down...25.33 height compared to 26" factory tire size, but the wheel gap is horrific. Time to start chopping, and this is before i put in a tubular crossmember this coming winter as well.

ShiftyCapone 07-08-2004 11:56 PM

I would still double check that you have your front springs indexed correctly.

sbrice18fan 07-09-2004 08:25 AM

I agree, I did the same weight reduction and had to finally cut the springs to get it to sit down where I wanted it.

xpndbl3 07-09-2004 03:53 PM

Originally posted by ShiftyCapone
I would still double check that you have your front springs indexed correctly.
yup the spring goes inbetween the two indexing holes. already double checked that as well. Don't forget 84 camaros sat higher than the IROC and WS6s did.