Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   Any use california water blade? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/367191-any-use-california-water.html)

FlyinLow89 05-25-2006 08:44 PM

Any use california water blade?

I can get them through my work so im thinking Id give it a try.

anyone use them? im wondering how they work in terms of speed/convenenience and also results. Im a chronic car washer so anything helps.

slim64 05-25-2006 08:48 PM

Water Blade

I use one nearly everyday. I bought one for my 64 Impala and havent had a problem. I also use them where I work, sometimes we have to wash planes/jets so using a waterblade saves us TONS of time on the nice flat wings. They are much quicker to use as long as you have relatively flat panels. Plus you dont have to keep wringing them out like a chamois, also they will remove more water in one pass than a chamois will. Id highly recommend one

BlueZee28 05-25-2006 08:49 PM

i use mine everytime i wash my car. works great on near flat surfaces. also does wonders for glass :eek: great thing is it doesn't scratch! :eek:

rwdtech 05-25-2006 08:53 PM

they are worthless, they are only good for swiping off the big water drops so your towel doesnt get so wet

do not attempt to dry the entire car with a water blade

:2cents:

FlyinLow89 05-25-2006 08:53 PM

cool thanks guys...and ya the flate surfaces make sense...i guess its gonna be useless on my 95 Formula :cool:

Stevo 05-25-2006 10:21 PM

i honestly cant say i like them at all. Ive used them and they just bother me lol. I perfer taking my hand to get all the beaded water off or just drive it around the block and then dry.

Mike-in-Orange 05-25-2006 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stevo
I perfer taking my hand to get all the beaded water off or just drive it around the block and then dry.

Try this to get rid of the beaded water: take the nozzle off the hose when you're done washing and all the soap is rinsed off - let the water just stream out of the hose in a nice smooth flow and go over the whole car one more time. The vast majority of the water will flow off the car since it won't be coming down in droplets, making the car much easier to dry.

Driving around the block to blow the water off sets you up to pick up too much dust in the remaining water and potentially scratch the paint when you then take a towel to it.

As for the water blade, I know a lot of guys like them, but I've heard too many stories of a little piece of grit getting stuck on one and the user not knowing it was there until it was too late. I'll stick to the water stream and a couple of waffle weave microfiber towels, thanks.

Red90IROC 05-26-2006 12:34 AM

I use a Cali Water Blade (I bought the slightly larger version they have, meant for RV's). It works great although I do find myself using a towel right after, on tight corners like side mirrors and such.

Orr89RocZ 05-26-2006 12:52 AM

i love mine.. wouldnt consider doin the car without one....takes WAY to damn long to dry a car with a chamois cloth.

else just try a electric leaf blower

Hot Shot GTA 05-26-2006 02:38 AM

I use mine all the time and dry the car as much as possible with it. But I still have a towel handy for around the spoiler and door jams.

BlueZee28 05-26-2006 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ

else just try a electric leaf blower

i thought i was the only person on earth who has tried that LOL

that works really well suprisingly

MonteMan357 05-27-2006 11:00 AM

screw the elctric, i use my backpack leaf blower!

fb305svs 05-27-2006 12:31 PM

i use the blow gun off the compressor line for the small areas that are hard to reach in the engine bay, water blade to get the big areas (sides, hood, windows, roof, hatch glass, spoiler) then i finish off the body with a couple microfiber towels...

purpleZ-28 05-28-2006 02:35 AM

i use it every time i wash my cars. it works great, but like mentioned above, it does only work well on flat spots, i have a 3" cowl hood on my Z, and it doesnt help on the cowl too much. but it cuts your drying time in half, at least.

thepoz89 05-28-2006 11:42 PM

works great. I have used one for years and swear by it. It saves the paint by not having to drag a rag over it a bunch of times to dry. One swipe with the blade and a touch up with a towel and you are done.
POZ