Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   Those with SS hood or other fiberglass hoods... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/499520-those-ss-hood-other.html)

Teds92RS 11-06-2008 09:18 PM

Those with SS hood or other fiberglass hoods...

I have the SS hood on my car and I see stress cracks have formed on the surface up top from where the latch is. At higher speeds I notice the sides of the hood move up and down because the rubber stops don't reach the hood and they're at their full adjustment. Unfortunately I think my only option is to install hood pins but I need a guranteed fix before I waste my time fixing the hood just to have the same thing happen again. The problem is I think hood pins will ruin the look of the car...any other ideas?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...O/mtnside3.jpg

92camaroz28ss 11-06-2008 09:28 PM

Re: Those with SS hood or other fiberglass hoods...

i had to put pins in mine when i got it. not sure if there is another way to fix it

//<86TA>\\ 11-06-2008 09:46 PM

i have to agree with you ted, while i have hood pins and i think they looks just fine, your car is so clean, that i feel that they would in fact, detract a bit from the appearance, and the car being black doesn't help either

Maybe have them powdercoated black to match the car? make them blend a little better?

Are the little bump stops on the hood hinges there and in good shape? and do the bump stops behind the headlights touch the hood?

Jonathan Dyer 11-06-2008 11:11 PM

I was wondering about trying to put latches from a Honda or something into the front corners that would operate off the regular hood cable. It would take alot of messing about to get it right though...
Jon

Kandied91z 11-07-2008 12:42 AM

sharp ride..

are your bump's worn? i can't imagine your fenders and bumper are raised so high that new bumpers wouldn't stop that.

Teds92RS 11-07-2008 10:36 AM

Thanks for the compliments. The rubber stops up front on the radiator support are almost at their full adjustment but when they are they still don't have enough pressure on the hood to keep it locked down; I guess also the fiberglass is very flimsy so it would never sit flat, it makes the sides stick up past the fenders. I was thinking of maybe drilling new holes to lower the hood catch but my gap up front is pretty much dead on.

3rdGenIrocZ 11-07-2008 12:32 PM

Hey i got the same problem. im thinking of going with pins to. But my hood isnt alined with the fenders. one side is a 1/4 gap then the other is like almost rubbing the fender. any idea how to fix that?

Teds92RS 11-07-2008 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdGenIrocZ (Post 3941429)
Hey i got the same problem. im thinking of going with pins to. But my hood isnt alined with the fenders. one side is a 1/4 gap then the other is like almost rubbing the fender. any idea how to fix that?

you could try loosening the bolts on top of the fenders and either push the fender in or out depending on which side you are trying to adjust. If that doesn't get the gap better aligned you could give the hood a shove on the hinge side depending on which way you want it to go. Our hinges are very flexible lol

Charged350 11-08-2008 09:05 PM

dont put in hood pins...put in hood locks like mine, a lot cleaner and more trick for sure, paint the bottom plates black like i did mine car color and you can berelly see them...check itout...

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...65744_8597.jpg

iggy89 11-09-2008 02:15 AM

Yes go with the locking ones. I have the SS hood too and I need to do this myself. I am going to do exactly what he did above and paint the chrome rings around the locking part. Also how good are your struts? My buddy paints for a living and painted mine and said the struts might crack the paint after time since it flexes some pulling it down. I am looking at other options for my hood because of this.

Rayzor32 11-09-2008 07:41 AM

Thats because you need hood pins and hood pins look good so youre good.

Teds92RS 11-09-2008 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Charged350 (Post 3942712)
dont put in hood pins...put in hood locks like mine, a lot cleaner and more trick for sure, paint the bottom plates black like i did mine car color and you can berelly see them...check itout...

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...65744_8597.jpg

That looks really good! I really like how you can see through the blisters on the hood too. Where did you buy the locking pins from?

Originally Posted by iggy89 (Post 3942954)
Yes go with the locking ones. I have the SS hood too and I need to do this myself. I am going to do exactly what he did above and paint the chrome rings around the locking part. Also how good are your struts? My buddy paints for a living and painted mine and said the struts might crack the paint after time since it flexes some pulling it down. I am looking at other options for my hood because of this.

The struts didn't hold up the stock steel hood, so they're pretty weak. Also, I cut out the scoop to make it functional which creates extra lift so I'm pretty sure the stress cracks in the front are from flex while driving. It doesn't take much to close the hood with the struts I have.

92camaroz28ss 11-09-2008 07:44 PM

the only problem with the locking pins like in the above pic is that there are 2 rings, one on the top, that you see, and one on the bottom. the two rings tighten toward each other squishing the hood from the top and bottom. i tried having someone put these on mine but they would not because they were afraid when the 2 rings started squishing the hood it would crack and break the hood. i hope this explanation makes sense. i believe i still have these pins if anyone is interested.

Charged350 11-10-2008 08:42 PM

they are two rings for that setup on my car, and you have to take a 3 inch hole saw and drill out the bottom side of the hood to get these to work since all glass hoods are two layer setups.....i think mr gasket makes them...look it up on summit racing ...thats where i got mine....

92camaroz28ss 11-11-2008 03:45 PM

that makes sense.... btw i think i got mine from summit as well, and if anyone is interested i will sell it if i still have it

89RsPower! 11-11-2008 04:07 PM

I have the same locking hood pins brand new in the package, I sold the hood I was going to use them on a while back and have no need for them. $20/obo shipped to your door if you want em, heres a link to them at summit if you want an idea of what they look like. PM me if your interested. I wouldn't worry about them cracking your hood as mentioned above unless you really tighten the hell out of em, they have a rubber gasket that's suppose to prevent that. Also keep in mind you NEED hood pins even with a glass hood that uses the front latch, sure a lot of people get away without em but you are suppose to use em for saftey reasons. Every hood manufacture out there that I've seen makes it a point to say hood pins are required even with front latching hoods for saftey at high speeds. I know there are quite a few members on here that have figured that out the hard way. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

karl's-92'-z28 11-16-2008 06:27 AM

Yes I had locking hood pins on my old car, I didn't paint them, just left them as is & it looked great. As for struts, tryusing some old used ones that aren't as strong as the new ones.