Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   VHT night shade work great (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/587817-vht-night-shade-work.html)

bob-j 09-16-2010 11:50 AM

VHT night shade work great

2 Attachment(s)
Just letting you guy no this vht night shade is great ! Be sure to wet sand tail lights with 1000 grit . i put one good full coat on and it looks great ! can't just hammer it on and be your own judge if you think it needs more coats on it.:driving: let me know what you guys think !

TorqueWolf 09-19-2010 01:57 PM

Re: VHT night shade work great

I wonder what it would look like to paint the inside line with orange?

hydrolic144 09-19-2010 02:01 PM

Sweet Home Alabama!

TorqueWolf 09-19-2010 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a pic with my massive MSpaint skills. and yeah Go Bama Go

TorqueWolf 09-19-2010 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
or maybe some grid designs

bob-j 09-19-2010 07:14 PM

like the top one you made !

TorqueWolf 09-19-2010 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just whipped up another one to see what you think. Shaded tag area and added a pinstripe to the tails

hydrolic144 09-19-2010 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by TorqueWolf (Post 4679105)
just whipped up another one to see what you think. Shaded tag area and added a pinstripe to the tails

You got it

TorqueWolf 09-20-2010 12:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
one more with the back painted to match the body. i cant do much more with the pic with that much glare.

@hydrolic144, i got it?

Scorpner 09-20-2010 12:48 AM

I like that where you filled in under the license plate.

grassyflats 09-20-2010 12:57 AM

is that oil all over the floor of your garage?

noel8877 09-20-2010 02:36 AM

just whipped up another one to see what you think. Shaded tag area and added a pinstripe to the tails.

UnderCover89TBI 09-20-2010 03:00 AM

Well it looks good either way

TorqueWolf 09-20-2010 11:59 AM

just incase this is bob-js car not mine. i just saw the finished product and went to ms paint to add stripes to see what it would look like and got a bit carried away. I love doing this kind of detail work.

bob-j 09-20-2010 05:50 PM

no that is not oil in the floor its water . i work at a bodyshop and the guy washes cars so that why there water.

92Firebug 09-21-2010 09:34 AM

that looks GREAT!!! this thread should be a sticky! And I really want to do this to my car now, my only question is, when should i know when to stop putting coats on? and do i clear coat it?

bob-j 09-21-2010 06:19 PM

:goodidea:

bob-j 09-21-2010 06:26 PM

I just put the one good coat on and decided it was enough and didnt go another round i would say no more then 2 coats . Did not clear them though but i guess u could, they dry shiny !

overide 09-23-2010 08:57 AM

I have never been impressed with VHT. I have never seen a truely good niteshades tail light job in person. The finish is always more textured and not as glossy as I feel it should be. I have a can still sitting on my shelf cause I culd not bear to risk ruining my tails. I instead used tinted window cling and was much happier with the result. I would like to see your finish up close. Maybe I have just not seen a good painter do a set yet. Seems all the good ones are shop done with tinted clear. Even after wet sanding and clearing my roommates tails never matched and never glossed out. We set my tails with the cling next to his and people pick mine hands down.

bob-j 09-23-2010 09:37 PM

Guess you can't please everybody. I didn't say that VHT is for everyone, but I am happy with the way it turned out. I personally don't like the air bubbles that form under tint. And yes, I know that if tint is done correctly you shouldn't have bubbles, but in the same regard if the VHT is applied correctly it will look good and hold up better. I do bodywork for a living, so I have plenty of experience making sure things are sanded smoothly. I would be concerned about how well tint will hold up to the elements. Personally, I think my lights turned out great. I was only mentioning the product to offer a lower-cost alternative to blackouts.

Also, I didn't clear my lights because I wanted them to have a semi-gloss appearance.

overide 09-24-2010 07:59 AM

Ok cool! Honestly I love the black out look. I just struggle with sending mine off to get painted for the high dollar amounts I have seen. We found on the Mustang the black outs did not fit for crap or looked like crap. The nice looking black outs we found actually rubbed the body and fit all crooked. The big companies' versions smoothed the steps that are so unique to the tailights, so we hated them.

Got to keep the wifey happy so I had to come up with something. The tint has been on her stang and my fiero for 2-3 years and is looking good as new. The daily driver civic (soon to be daughters car) has had them about 6 months and they are still holding up good.

One good thing.. if a Cop wants to harrass us for too dark of tails... What tail light tint? (holding clings behind back lol!)

I just wish I could find the secret to get the night shades to come out right

92Firebug 09-26-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by bob-j (Post 4684082)
Guess you can't please everybody. I didn't say that VHT is for everyone, but I am happy with the way it turned out. I personally don't like the air bubbles that form under tint. And yes, I know that if tint is done correctly you shouldn't have bubbles, but in the same regard if the VHT is applied correctly it will look good and hold up better. I do bodywork for a living, so I have plenty of experience making sure things are sanded smoothly. I would be concerned about how well tint will hold up to the elements. Personally, I think my lights turned out great. I was only mentioning the product to offer a lower-cost alternative to blackouts.

Also, I didn't clear my lights because I wanted them to have a semi-gloss appearance.

I also got bubbles, but they weren't to bad, and after i clear coated them and my middle piece with the pontiac emblem you really cant tell...its really nice looking from a distance.

92Firebug 09-26-2010 01:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 91Firebug (Post 4686281)
I also got bubbles, but they weren't to bad, and after i clear coated them and my middle piece with the pontiac emblem you really cant tell...its really nice looking from a distance.

here is the before and after pics

quisterio 10-07-2010 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 91Firebug (Post 4686292)

So you clear coated the middle piece, but did you put actual tint on the tail lights or did you use VHT first "then" clear coat them?

bob-j 10-09-2010 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by 91Firebug (Post 4686292)

That looks sweet to me !!! :D

92Firebug 10-09-2010 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by quisterio (Post 4697486)
So you clear coated the middle piece, but did you put actual tint on the tail lights or did you use VHT first "then" clear coat them?

i put 2 good coats of vht on first...then gave 2 clear coats of enamel, 3 for the middle peice

92Firebug 10-09-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bob-j (Post 4698515)
That looks sweet to me !!! :D

thanks! it was like a 2 day job because i didnt have the enamel but it really looks good to me!