Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   Maaco body work reliable?? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/641410-maaco-body-work-reliable.html)

Lmancha96 02-09-2012 10:09 PM

Maaco body work reliable??

I just bought a 91 rs and i am looking to get it painted i'm not trying to go to expensive.

The car has minor rust on the roof and i want to get it removed asap, does anyone have any experience like these with places like maaco?

Maaco being so cheap i was wondering just how reliable they would be will they get the job done correctly (the rust) or will i be wasting money.

Also would it be less expensive if i did the job myself what kind of tools do i need?

Thanks in advance!

BlackenedBird 02-09-2012 10:31 PM

Re: Maaco body work reliable??

Nope. Do a Search & you'll lots of bad Maaco stories.

evilemokid94 02-09-2012 10:35 PM

My car was painted and body work done on my car and I'm happy with it, but honestly I had my school fix a dent in my car the other day and I'm amazed at how they did thst, they took their time, and it was cheaper than maaco, so check your schools man

chevyboy001 02-09-2012 10:39 PM

dont do it had all my body work done at my friends shop and all maaco had to do was prep prime block and sand...... you guessed it they messed up.

spurgeon76 02-09-2012 10:41 PM

MAACO is fast and cheap. You get what you pay for. If you do all the prep work and just let them lay the paint would turn out better. They painted my 82' back in 1994, they painted over the graphics and everything, it looked good for about 18 months and then the paint started to flake off.

lordmetalz28 02-10-2012 04:43 AM

going on 4 years with my paint job, of course i paid 2200 for the best package they offered, they screwed up a few things, but overall it came out 100% better then it went in. car is waxed once a year and kept in the garage and it looks fantastic to this day.

GreggymacZ28 02-10-2012 08:09 AM

Maaco is a corporation but each is managed individually and the integrity of the store manager is in how well they will do the work on your car. You need to find out which one is in your area and then look up and see if you can find the reviews for your specific maaco.

Personally if you are looking to have your car painted, I'd say do the body work yourself. Maaco quoted me on doing my body work as adding another 1500 or so to the original cost for paint. Paint is cheap there but you have to remember those prices arent including the body work yet.

If you look in my signature youll see my build thread, and i did all of the body work on my car, and then took it to maaco for paint because i knew a guy that worked there. But they do a very good job with paint, its all in the prep work. And if you want your car to look the best i'd suggest doing the body work on your own. Goodluck!

Drkhrse89 02-10-2012 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by GreggymacZ28 (Post 5177517)
Maaco is a corporation but each is managed individually and the integrity of the store manager is in how well they will do the work on your car. You need to find out which one is in your area and then look up and see if you can find the reviews for your specific maaco.

I completely agree. My brother had somebody hit his Vette and brought it around to get some quotes. When he went into the local Maaco, they actually treated him the best out of all of the shops. He decided to go with them and it turned out better than expected, due to all of the horror stories. I would not hesitate to go in there again if I need work done. And their customer service was great.

thebuffalo 02-10-2012 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lmancha96 (Post 5177283)
I just bought a 91 rs and i am looking to get it painted i'm not trying to go to expensive.

The car has minor rust on the roof and i want to get it removed asap, does anyone have any experience like these with places like maaco?

Maaco being so cheap i was wondering just how reliable they would be will they get the job done correctly (the rust) or will i be wasting money.

Also would it be less expensive if i did the job myself what kind of tools do i need?

Thanks in advance!

Get rid of the rust and bondo it yourself, then bring it to maaco. My buddy got his 300zx rust spot taken out there just for it to come back a few months later. Paint wasnt bad for $300.

tommyr848 02-10-2012 11:18 AM

Going to Clarksville, TN maaco to get my 89 firebird priced for paint... Has a dent in the hood and fender were a truck backed over it before I got the car... Would it be cheaper to just buy a fender and hood from a junkyard with no dents in them or let maaco deal with it?

rusty vango 02-10-2012 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lmancha96 (Post 5177283)

Thanks in advance!

the true measure of a paint job. is correct body work where needed, and careful prep.if all maaco has to do is spray your car. and you do the sanding ect yourself the paint job you get from them is acceptable.most use a single stage paint unless you supply some other paint.in general you get good results

thebuffalo 02-10-2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tommyr848 (Post 5177686)
Going to Clarksville, TN maaco to get my 89 firebird priced for paint... Has a dent in the hood and fender were a truck backed over it before I got the car... Would it be cheaper to just buy a fender and hood from a junkyard with no dents in them or let maaco deal with it?

Yes.

Lmancha96 02-11-2012 08:17 AM

Thanks for all the info guys.

I have a buddy who knows how to do body work i will most likely let him help me and then take it to a couple of shops and get some quotes.

Wild Weasel 02-12-2012 12:15 PM

Had mine painted 3 years ago. Did all the body and painted. Work was very good but you get what you pay for. $2200. There are as many Pro's as there are Con's with Maaco. Find a good shop and check out some of their work, Then make up your own mind.

lordmetalz28 02-12-2012 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel (Post 5179588)
Had mine painted 3 years ago. Did all the body and painted. Work was very good but you get what you pay for. $2200. There are as many Pro's as there are Con's with Maaco. Find a good shop and check out some of their work, Then make up your own mind.

actually for 2200 I feel i did well. considerning the fact everybody wanted between 8000$ and 12000$. im a homeowner i couldnt justify paying more for a paint job then for siding windows and roofing. im very pleased with my job

86camaro17 02-12-2012 06:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
i got maaco paint and dent fixed just friday love it

Wild Weasel 02-12-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by lordmetalz28 (Post 5179641)
actually for 2200 I feel i did well. considerning the fact everybody wanted between 8000$ and 12000$. im a homeowner i couldnt justify paying more for a paint job then for siding windows and roofing. im very pleased with my job

I had 4 estimates on my rs, all between 7000 and 11000. I had replaced both front fenders and was told that they would have to come off to do a decent job. Something to do with "need to paint the inside" :rolleyes: