Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   My Iroc will be in the movie "CRUISE" (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/727448-my-iroc-will-movie.html)

craptrman 12-15-2015 07:17 PM

My Iroc will be in the movie "CRUISE"

5 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, a movie is being made right now that takes place in 1987 Queens, NY. I was called and asked if they can use my car as they needed IROCS, Mustangs, Grand Nationals and other eighties cars. So my car was filmed for many of the driving and parked scenes. They also filmed under the engine compartment with the actors. It was alot of fun, but very long days. I was on set everyday for three weeks. It was fun watching them film the race scenes. There is a 1987 Grand National that is the main car of the movie that Gio races. It was really cool to step back in time and see the eighties again, the clothing, the big hair, the gold chains, and the best was of coarse the cars. I have a couple of shots of myself in the movie as standing in the back ground, and I got my son in some really nice close up shots of him standing next to the main actors as they were filming. I have a couple of pictures I'll include, not the best quality because we really couldn't take pics. Hopefully my car and son makes it to the big screen and not on the editing floor. If you want to see a short video made about this movie just type in "Franny Lew Movie" on Youtube. It was written and directed by Robert Seigal, the one that wrote The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke. Its a movie that tells a story about a popular road called Francis Lewis BLVD. in Queens NY. It was a popular place to get together and race for many years. Its a story about Gio Marchetti played by Spencer Boldman a working class Italian American kid who loves cruising the Boulevard often while racing and chasing Jessica Weintraub played by British model and actress Emily Ratajkowski a Jewish girl from Long Island, Ny. It will be released at the end of 2016. you can also check it out on Facebook.

If this is in the wrong place please move to appropriate thread. I didn't know where to post this.

First pic is of my son on the set.
Second pic is of Gio driving the Grand National with cameras
Third and forth is my Iroc being lit up.
Fourth is a race scene

craptrman 12-15-2015 07:21 PM

Re: My Iroc will be in the movie "CRUISE"

5 Attachment(s)
Some more pics from on set, the main car Gio's Grand National, I'm picture car number 1.

craptrman 12-15-2015 07:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more pics.

craptrman 12-15-2015 07:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A couple more pics.

Fist pic is of my daughter and Main star Spencer Boldman.

Second is at Astro Diner in Astoria Park, Queens.

Third is my son being what to do by Second Assistant Director.

Fourth is Actor Spencer Boldman with my IROC.

chazman 12-16-2015 12:49 AM

Hey, that's pretty cool!

bluegrassz 12-16-2015 08:24 AM

Sounds kinda like the movie "Born to Run" with Richard Grieco.
May have to check it out.

Bob88GTA 12-16-2015 08:43 AM

Pretty Cool!
I like the fact that you don't see any Honda's with the "coffee can" muffler!

Amillionoh7 12-16-2015 09:02 AM

Awesome man! make sure you throw a post up when It comes out

BADNBLK 12-16-2015 09:23 AM

Very cool! 80's cars prices gonna go through the roof if this movie is a hit

crazymex83 12-16-2015 09:39 AM

That's pretty awesome! How did you get contacted for it? Did you register your car somewhere or did they see it someplace?

dmccain 12-16-2015 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by BADNBLK (Post 5988210)
Very cool! 80's cars prices gonna go through the roof if this movie is a hit

:yup: I bet so!

kfsullivan 12-16-2015 11:05 AM

This is really cool. Great that your car and son hopefully will be in the final cut.

Question, how did they know to call you and that you even had an IROC? Are you in a local club or something that them to reach out to you?

Look forward to seeing the film.

craptrman 12-16-2015 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by chazman (Post 5988138)
Hey, that's pretty cool!

Thanks

craptrman 12-16-2015 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Amillionoh7 (Post 5988207)
Awesome man! make sure you throw a post up when It comes out

I definitely will, thanks

craptrman 12-16-2015 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by crazymex83 (Post 5988216)
That's pretty awesome! How did you get contacted for it? Did you register your car somewhere or did they see it someplace?

Thanks, I had a couple of friends that kept telling me about this movie being made and they seen them asking for cars on Facebook. They kept busting my chops to call them and tell them I had an IROC, I said no because I didn't think they would take my car. So my wife emailed them and sent a picture of my car to them. Within 30 minutes my phone was ringing with someone saying they were the Picture Car Coordinator for the movie "CRUISE" and they wanted my car right away. So I went right away and was only a handful of cars that were asked to go back everynight until all outside shots were finished being filmed.

craptrman 12-16-2015 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by kfsullivan (Post 5988244)
This is really cool. Great that your car and son hopefully will be in the final cut.

Question, how did they know to call you and that you even had an IROC? Are you in a local club or something that them to reach out to you?

Look forward to seeing the film.

Thanks, my wife contacted them through Facebook, as they were asking for 80's cars.

mantaguy 12-16-2015 03:41 PM

Congratulation's man, that's pretty cool,:thumbsup:Can I get a autogragh;):D

craptrman 12-16-2015 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by mantaguy (Post 5988307)
Congratulation's man, that's pretty cool,:thumbsup:Can I get a autogragh;):D

Thanks!! Sure can! LOL!!

LiquidBlue 12-16-2015 10:23 PM

Awesome! I've always wondered about movies like this, when you see cool, rarer cars. Who drives them??? I mean, I wouldn't want some movie putz guy who doesn't even appreciate these cars,... driving my car. It would have to be me!

craptrman 12-17-2015 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue (Post 5988413)
Awesome! I've always wondered about movies like this, when you see cool, rarer cars. Who drives them??? I mean, I wouldn't want some movie putz guy who doesn't even appreciate these cars,... driving my car. It would have to be me!

Thanks!! I was allowed to drive my car in all the scenes, as were the rest of the back ground cars. Only in the race scenes that we were not allowed to drive our own cars, they had to be test driven by stunt guys first and if they thought they were safe they were the only ones allowed to drive them. One stunt guy didn't know how to drive a four speed and he blew the clutch on it, and that was a 69' Camaro. They had to find another 69' Camaro for the rest of the race scenes. The other two main cars in the movie were two 87 Grand Nationals. One was a GNX excellent condition, this is the one they used to mount all the cameras on the inside and the outside. They damaged this car by mounting the cameras too tight and dented the hood and fenders. The other Grand National they ripped the lower air dam off the front. They do pay for all damages.

carlos64030 12-17-2015 07:20 PM

Dooood, that is freakin' AWESOME!!! I'm all excited about seeing this film already.

Thornburg 12-17-2015 08:23 PM

That is TOTALY cool!!! Can't wait for the movie to come out. A very sweet experience to say the least.

Citation X 12-18-2015 07:58 AM

Thats awesome. I will have to check out the movie when it comes out.

87oldschool 12-18-2015 08:11 AM

Lucky you! Why do you have a grey interior with gold wheels. I have a 1987 Dark Metallic Red with Saddle Interior with gold wheels (original owner) I am also from Long Island but bailed to NC 25 years ago. Still have my '87 getting ready to do an LS7 swap.
Must have been a very cool experience seeing YOUR car in film. congrats!

grngryoutmyway 12-18-2015 08:27 AM

Looks awesome man. Will be real cool if they get your car in some of the big scenes.

TTOP350 12-18-2015 08:54 AM

Wow, what fun that must have been!
I look forward to seeing this film!
Congrats!

Have a link to the FB site for those of us that are unable to find it?

DynoDave43 12-19-2015 06:39 PM

Congratulations!

Don't go to see many movies anymore, but I'll have to check this one out.

craptrman 12-19-2015 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 87oldschool (Post 5988751)
Lucky you! Why do you have a grey interior with gold wheels. I have a 1987 Dark Metallic Red with Saddle Interior with gold wheels (original owner) I am also from Long Island but bailed to NC 25 years ago. Still have my '87 getting ready to do an LS7 swap.
Must have been a very cool experience seeing YOUR car in film. congrats!

Thanks, I had the tan interior, but I hate to say it I just didn't like the color. I still have the original tan interior in my attic.

craptrman 12-19-2015 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by grngryoutmyway (Post 5988753)
Looks awesome man. Will be real cool if they get your car in some of the big scenes.

Thanks, I hope so, it was alot of time that I spent on set, 14 hour days.

craptrman 12-19-2015 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by DynoDave43 (Post 5989150)
Congratulations!

Don't go to see many movies anymore, but I'll have to check this one out.

Thank you!

craptrman 12-19-2015 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 5988762)
Wow, what fun that must have been!
I look forward to seeing this film!
Congrats!

Have a link to the FB site for those of us that are unable to find it?

Thanks, yes it was real fun being a part of this movie and to see how a movie is made. Here is a link for the movie on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/frannylewmovie/?fref=ts

petrolhead 12-21-2015 09:47 AM

That's totally awesome! I consider it a huge compliment to have a car good enough for use in a movie! I love car movies, and hope this one gets it right. Most movies today just crash and destroy cool cars and that's supposed to be cool I guess. Looks like this one will give honor to the cars! Can't wait to see it.

87oldschool 12-21-2015 09:51 AM

Where are you on Long Island?

GCrites80s 12-21-2015 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by craptrman (Post 5989162)
Thanks, I hope so, it was alot of time that I spent on set, 14 hour days.

How did you find the time? Did they pay you?

MintWS6FORMULA 12-21-2015 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by craptrman (Post 5988605)
Thanks!! I was allowed to drive my car in all the scenes, as were the rest of the back ground cars. Only in the race scenes that we were not allowed to drive our own cars, they had to be test driven by stunt guys first and if they thought they were safe they were the only ones allowed to drive them.

What a (somewhat of a) relief. I always had visions of them leaving cars idling for extended periods and overheating while talking over shots. Suck to be they guys who had their cars damaged and therefore aren't original anymore.

craptrman 12-22-2015 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by GCrites80s (Post 5989692)
How did you find the time? Did they pay you?

I had alot of vacation time saved up so I used some of them. As for the pay, they were paying 200.00 a day in the beginning but to many cars were showing up. After awhile they were giving 50 bucks a day, and the for the ones who stayed the longest were still waiting on some kind of package from the movie production. For me I didn't mind doing it at all. Its a once in a lifetime thing for me, so it was fun being a part of it. Just hope it does well on the big screen.

IMissMy86TA 12-22-2015 02:12 PM

very cool. Nice car! I would be scared they would damage.. I know they will pay for it.. but if its pretty original those are replacement parts

scottmoyer 12-26-2015 05:52 PM

The problem I see with new movies trying to depict an earlier year is the cars they choose may not be correct. I think it's cool your car is in the movie, but you said it takes place in 1987, but your car is an '88. Some of the mods seen on cars are not really correct for the time. The white Monte Carlo SS doesn't have the stripes, and in 1987, even a couple year old car would still have the original stripes because people didn't remove them back then. The Mustang having the large wheels and the spoiler weren't happening in 1987. Mustang owners of a new '87 car would've only put the decals in the recessed Mustang on the rear bumper cover. Your car, even if it was a stripe delete car, wouldn't have the IROC-Z logo on the doors. That option was available in 1988, not 1987, so your car should have the stripes if it was to depict an '87 IROC-Z.

I know your car is an '88 so I'm not saying your car is wrong, but for a 1987 movie, it's not what would have been on the streets then. I always watch movies that depict an earlier time and look for cars in the background or in parking lots that might not have been around in the year the moving is trying to portray. I recently saw a picture of a Brad Pitt movie from the dark ages and you could see a plane flying overhead.

I look forward to seeing the movie and I hope your daughter enjoyed herself on the set.

IMissMy86TA 12-28-2015 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer (Post 5990819)
The problem I see with new movies trying to depict an earlier year is the cars they choose may not be correct. I think it's cool your car is in the movie, but you said it takes place in 1987, but your car is an '88. Some of the mods seen on cars are not really correct for the time. The white Monte Carlo SS doesn't have the stripes, and in 1987, even a couple year old car would still have the original stripes because people didn't remove them back then. The Mustang having the large wheels and the spoiler weren't happening in 1987. Mustang owners of a new '87 car would've only put the decals in the recessed Mustang on the rear bumper cover. Your car, even if it was a stripe delete car, wouldn't have the IROC-Z logo on the doors. That option was available in 1988, not 1987, so your car should have the stripes if it was to depict an '87 IROC-Z.

I know your car is an '88 so I'm not saying your car is wrong, but for a 1987 movie, it's not what would have been on the streets then. I always watch movies that depict an earlier time and look for cars in the background or in parking lots that might not have been around in the year the moving is trying to portray. I recently saw a picture of a Brad Pitt movie from the dark ages and you could see a plane flying overhead.

I look forward to seeing the movie and I hope your daughter enjoyed herself on the set.

while you are correct.... i had my 86 on the roads in 85 with the T tops off... I had one of the first 86s in the area.. It may have been an unusually warm day.. but it was 85

scottmoyer 12-28-2015 08:18 AM

I know that the next year's car could be on the road in the earlier year, but like I mentioned, people didn't modify these cars by removing stripes when they were brand new. I mentioned it with the Monte Carlo SS and said that it doesn't have the stripes either.

In the '80s, a new car might have gotten new rims or a new exhaust, but the vehicle itself wasn't modified. People started debadging cars in the late 90s and early 2000s. Most modifications in the 80's were to the sound systems. Seeing an '88 on the road in '87 is definitely doable, but it wouldn't have been "personalized" yet.

IMissMy86TA 12-28-2015 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer (Post 5991176)
I know that the next year's car could be on the road in the earlier year, but like I mentioned, people didn't modify these cars by removing stripes when they were brand new. I mentioned it with the Monte Carlo SS and said that it doesn't have the stripes either.

In the '80s, a new car might have gotten new rims or a new exhaust, but the vehicle itself wasn't modified. People started debadging cars in the late 90s and early 2000s. Most modifications in the 80's were to the sound systems. Seeing an '88 on the road in '87 is definitely doable, but it wouldn't have been "personalized" yet.

My 86 TA was all black with a red stripe. I refused to take delivery until they removed the tape stripe. really... I had the first GTA looking car in 85... meanwhile in MI some pontiac product manager was thinking the same thing... he removed the stripe and the first GTA was born.. he did more than that but you can see the story on the GTASourcepage..

this was mine
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...1a0cd7c4b8.jpg

mantaguy 12-28-2015 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you the reason for this.:D
Attachment 322367

IMissMy86TA 12-29-2015 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by mantaguy (Post 5991380)

I wish they gave us money back! lol. nope.. they just took it off.

craptrman 01-02-2016 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer (Post 5990819)

Don't know what your talking about, but back in the 80's I had three friends with a 86 and two 87 IROCS, and we removed the strips ourself. As for the Montes my uncle had a silver 85 Monte he bought brand new and he had the strips removed. So there were cars out there with these mods back in the 80's. As for the mustang had a friend also with the big wing on the back but had BBS rims on it.

87oldschool 01-02-2016 02:40 PM

Just my two cents, way over thinking this... Let's just be happy for this lucky guy!

ThirdGen1984 01-02-2016 03:24 PM

Totally awesome dude, def will be watching when it releases

1986BANDIT 03-17-2019 07:49 PM

my friend had a pure white 83 z28 IN 1983 because it was in an accident and repainted,he said leave the stripes off.

so yes,there definitely will be cars that are not 100% dealer correct all the time,everywhere.people anal about these kinds of things need a puff or a piece of a$$

1986BANDIT 03-17-2019 07:51 PM

1986BANDIT 03-17-2019 07:52 PM

yes scott,yes they did.some people are originality freaks,many are not and hate stripes.my friends 83 z28 was stripe free in 1983

irvan 03-18-2019 08:04 AM

Great story, cool to have a movie car.