Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   black hood on a dark red iroc (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/730146-black-hood-dark-red.html)

87_gta 03-04-2016 09:20 PM

black hood on a dark red iroc

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Looking for thoughts on this...(i have used the "search" feature on this extensively)

I just picked up a used hood from an 85 Iroc to go on my 87.

The hood on my Iroc was damaged by a previous owner who closed the hood while leaving a wrench or something in the engine bay causing the hood to be pushed up at a buckle point. :doh:

The hood i got is currently black. I do want to paint it the correct color but i don't know if i can get the paint to match or if it will just look off. Current paint job is 11 years old.

I plan on re-painting the car in 2 to 3 years. What are your thoughts? Try to color match? re-paint it gloss black? Flat black or just primer? I have attached a picture. Let my know what you think.

Thanks!Attachment 300450

gsmarcano 03-04-2016 09:40 PM

Re: black hood on a dark red iroc

I think it would be kinda cool, why everybody has a one tone car I don't know.

Ron U.S.M.C. 03-05-2016 02:06 AM

You can open a thumbnail photo like the one you posted, then copy and paste that larger picture into the same reply and you end up with this. You can eather remove the thumbnail photo or leave it. Either way you end up with a nice larger photo.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...7-19.46.54.jpg

DynoDave43 03-05-2016 08:02 AM

If a full repaint is just a few years away, I think I'd be tempted to go with a flat black paint, or plasti dip that could be pealed off later.

3rdgentofourth 03-05-2016 09:14 AM

OK so with painting I've done best bet is to not have paint supply to map the color .will be off every time but grab big book of usually import car colors as crazy as that sounds but something about there pearls and metallics seems to blend the tones to match and account for sun fade. Hope you the best of luck.

87_gta 03-05-2016 05:45 PM

Hey,

Good idea about checking paint samples for imports.

I admit I am curious about trying the black hood. I seen pictures of bright red irocs with black hoods but not one with my color.

I do have the black rims so maybe it will look good for the short term.

Question is. If I go black hood what shade. Gloss or flat?

DonW 03-07-2016 06:00 AM

Get a few quotes and then take the hood to a body shop of your choice. They can match the paint so closely the normal person would never know the difference. I does not cost very much to get just the hood painted.

87_gta 03-11-2016 04:28 PM

I spoke to some local body shops and they all told me they would have to blend the paint to the fenders bumper etc..

I did get good prices for black paint however.

If I paint black. Should I go gloss or flat?

sid 91RS 03-12-2016 02:00 PM

i would go flat. gloss will odd.

Ruckusz28 03-17-2016 02:42 PM

To each their own, but I've never been a fan of black hood on X colored car. Matte is worse IMO. There is a time an place for everything though. If it's a beat up strict drag car, then sure. If it's in a purpose built budget racer, ok. If it's something you want to catch some looks in, I think a correct color hood is the way to go.

DonW 03-17-2016 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ruckusz28 (Post 6018323)
To each their own, but I've never been a fan of black hood on X colored car. Matte is worse IMO. There is a time an place for everything though. If it's a beat up strict drag car, then sure. If it's in a purpose built budget racer, ok. If it's something you want to catch some looks in, I think a correct color hood is the way to go.

Agreed. A few hundred bucks to get the hood shot and blended to the fenders is worth it.

87_gta 03-26-2016 02:13 PM

After much thought i am going to try and color match. I found a reputable place that has a color camera. Once i get the car out of storage i'm going to go by there and see how close i can match the color.

Thanks!

jorgeblancojr 07-27-2016 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by 87_gta (Post 6021515)
After much thought i am going to try and color match. I found a reputable place that has a color camera. Once i get the car out of storage i'm going to go by there and see how close i can match the color.

Thanks!

What size rims you have? They look nice