Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   One take "with Matt farah" (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/743053-one-take-matt-farah.html)

morrow 04-24-2017 10:14 AM

One take "with Matt farah"

The episode with the rsr camaro is up

morrow 04-24-2017 10:14 AM

Re: One take "with Matt farah"

Not all his info is accurate but whatever lol all good

BADNBLK 04-25-2017 10:28 AM

Hey congrats man! That is seriously cool. You need to throw up a youtube video looking for parts donations for that LS swap, while you got people all over the world drooling about your car, and thinking about how cool it would be with a LS1/T56... You never know who might wanna help?

ILMODC 04-25-2017 11:54 AM

Looking good Man. This is Daniel, I came out to Simi a few times. Saw the car last before it was painted. Looking damn good.

What's not accurate?

morrow 04-25-2017 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by BADNBLK (Post 6130751)
Hey congrats man! That is seriously cool. You need to throw up a youtube video looking for parts donations for that LS swap, while you got people all over the world drooling about your car, and thinking about how cool it would be with a LS1/T56... You never know who might wanna help?

Thank you so much buddy.. I think the road and track excerpt was cooler lol I never figured that would happen lol a buddy of mine has a ls1 long block I'm going to pick up Saturday. I need a 4.8 crank and rods and a good set of bearings

morrow 04-25-2017 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ILMODC (Post 6130773)
Looking good Man. This is Daniel, I came out to Simi a few times. Saw the car last before it was painted. Looking damn good.

What's not accurate?

That it's a stock 6... it's not lol
The heads are ported the intake is port matched . Tube headers. Larger injectors . Carbon fiber cool air intake I made from scratch , radiator is two times the size over all than stock . Side tanks were notched to fit into the frame. Fuel mapping was reflagged as well as cooling fan programming. And a few other things

ILMODC 04-26-2017 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by morrow (Post 6130905)
The heads are ported the intake is port matched . Tube headers. Larger injectors . Carbon fiber cool air intake I made from scratch , radiator is two times the size over all than stock . Side tanks were notched to fit into the frame. Fuel mapping was reflagged as well as cooling fan programming. And a few other things

Hot damn! Nice. Heck, no one will appreciate that kind of work on a V6. Most everyone on here would, but still. Great build and great video. Makes me want to go work on my Trans Am. :)

Tibo 05-01-2017 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by morrow (Post 6130905)

Why not stick with the 6 cylinder theme? Turbo charging the 6 cylinders produce some impressive times and if it's an aluminum block it would handle slightly better. SlickTrackGod had an aluminum 6 in his car that was (purportedly) a beast when it came to handling.

rgauder 05-01-2017 05:40 PM

Your video is now on the homepage of gm-efi.com

IROCZman15 05-02-2017 01:46 AM

definitely cool experience I bet to have Matt drive and review the car. cool

morrow 05-02-2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by rgauder (Post 6132684)
Your video is now on the homepage of gm-efi.com

Really?!

morrow 05-02-2017 09:31 AM

Awesome

morrow 05-02-2017 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 6132545)
Why not stick with the 6 cylinder theme? Turbo charging the 6 cylinders produce some impressive times and if it's an aluminum block it would handle slightly better. SlickTrackGod had an aluminum 6 in his car that was (purportedly) a beast when it came to handling.

Very true ... but if I can get the weight with an aluminum v8 down low at least on paper it should be within 20 lbs .. he didn't have the aluminum v6 in his car yet. He was building it from what I understand but it never got finished

morrow 05-02-2017 09:34 AM

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...s-v6-one-take/

http://www.gm-efi.com/features/video...let-camaro-rs/

Konicokirkland 03-10-2019 05:33 AM

First off, I'm in love with the car, and second, what did it take to get that steering wheel to fit? I cant seem to find much info on the spline compatibility between our steering columns and a newer steering wheel.

Sdmodified 03-12-2019 03:26 PM

What ever happened to this car? Did it ever get the LS swap? I would love to see an update!!

Konicokirkland 03-19-2019 02:32 PM

I've seen one update on the car in the past year and it was just a change in wheels

Sdmodified 03-19-2019 03:34 PM

All that awesome fabrication work and still no LS? Hope he gets it done soon.

morrow 09-10-2019 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Konicokirkland (Post 6289155)
I've seen one update on the car in the past year and it was just a change in wheels

for the change in wheels i had to redesign the entire front susopention... again lol

blackgloves 09-11-2019 09:40 AM

"I drove about 10 of them and hated them, IROCs, RS's... hated them"
:lmao:

Sometimes I feel like I don't fit into the "car guy" group. This dude sounded like an idiot.

morrow 09-11-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by blackgloves (Post 6329450)
"I drove about 10 of them and hated them, IROCs, RS's... hated them"
:lmao:

Sometimes I feel like I don't fit into the "car guy" group. This dude sounded like an idiot.

well thanks

blackgloves 09-11-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by morrow (Post 6329484)
well thanks

What is so different between the way your car drove (stock) compared to the RS's and Iroc's?

All of them are fbodies. They're all so similar stock it's hard to imagine loving one and "hating" all the others :doh:

morrow 09-12-2019 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by blackgloves (Post 6329532)
What is so different between the way your car drove (stock) compared to the RS's and Iroc's?

All of them are fbodies. They're all so similar stock it's hard to imagine loving one and "hating" all the others :doh:

mines an rs too, has nothing to do with the package, its the heavy front end, , its the nose weight. thats what diffrent, the steering isnt vas crisp due to the added weight, and consider at that time i had all the hotchkis bolt ons on A V6 which has its engine mostly behind the front wheels, were tghe v8 puts an added 200 pounds over my car did infront of the front wheels, that changes handling caractyeristics dramaticaly
... the car has be completly redesigned a couple times since then and is now going under the knife once again as we speek

blackgloves 09-12-2019 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by morrow (Post 6329662)
mines an rs too, has nothing to do with the package, its the heavy front end, , its the nose weight. thats what diffrent, the steering isnt vas crisp due to the added weight, and consider at that time i had all the hotchkis bolt ons on A V6 which has its engine mostly behind the front wheels, were tghe v8 puts an added 200 pounds over my car did infront of the front wheels, that changes handling caractyeristics dramaticaly
... the car has be completly redesigned a couple times since then and is now going under the knife once again as we speek

So why not move all the parts off a totalled car and onto another 3rd gen? You liked your 3rd gen before all the upgrades? Arent you doing a LS swap??

Tibo 09-14-2019 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by morrow (Post 6329662)

That's an obstacle inherent in any front engine car. Finagle the suspension all you want, it's still a front engine car. I would think that if you really wanted to improve the handling you would need to go to one of the more recent GM aluminum 4 cyl turbo drivetrains (believe that the cadillac has a that in a rear wheel drive) or an aluminum 6 cyl. Ford went that route (again) in one of the Mustang's offerings and it looked good on paper and it handled well but the reviews had it falling short of the GT because the GT had more torque and it was down lower. Every setup in a front engine car has it's draw backs.

Thirdgen89GTA 09-14-2019 08:49 PM

The auto industry likes to classify cars as Front, Mid, or Rear.

But in reality the Thirdgen is a front/mid design. just about everything but the accessories is actually behind the front axle centerline.

As far as weight distribution goes its really not all that bad considering that the transmission is mounted to the engine, unlike most sports cars now that even with the engine up front they use a rear mounted transaxle with a torque tube, ala Porsche 944 and Corvette C5.

Its really hard to go wrong with a LS1 front engine because the aluminum block and heads drop significant weight.

I won't go LS in my car unless I'm dropping an all aluminum combo. I don't want the cast iron weight.

Even just ditching the emissions and moving to the AFR heads dropped a ton of weight off the car with the LT1 swap. So much so the front end is practically an inch higher that it moved the car to positive camber on the stock springs.

One of the things I always thought would make a good candidate to turn a Thirdgen mid-engined was the LS4 combo out of the FWD V8 platforms. Not sure what you'd do for a Manual transmission, I think most guys who manual swap those cars end up with the F40 transmission out of the G6 GTP. But the F40 is pretty weak sauce, and really no aftermarket to beef it up.

But you'd end up with a very mid-engined car.

QwkTrip 09-14-2019 09:08 PM

My aluminum LS engine with T56 tips the scales at 55.7 / 44.3% weight distribution. And that's with other weight reductions up front, and a heavy 12 bolt in the rear. Looks like front engine proportions to me!

Thirdgen89GTA 09-14-2019 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 6330032)
My aluminum LS engine with T56 tips the scales at 55.7 / 44.3% weight distribution. And that's with other weight reductions up front, and a heavy 12 bolt in the rear. Looks like front engine proportions to me!

The weight of the engine can certainly hurt, but that's not all of the story though.

Look at the overall dimensions. Wheel base is 101.9", but overall length 191". Thats quite a bit of sheet metal not related to the engine hanging out in front and behind the wheels. Thirdgens have huge over-hangs.

And 55/45 really isn't that bad at all. The old reviews place it between 57/43, and 59/41 depending on which year/model was reviewed.

And for those of us with Birds, those pop-up head-lights aren't exactly light.

Most FF cars are 60/40 or worse. Audi's and Subaru's with their front/longitudinal engines have the entire engine in front of the front axle.

55/45 isn't bad.

blackgloves 09-14-2019 10:33 PM

I'm not everybody but in his situation I would have probably swapped parts over to another fbody. He could relocate his battery in any 3rd gen for a nice front end weight loss.

Back in topic, as someone stated already I kinda like the idea of sticking with a V6. Why not find a 4.3L? They're a dime a dozen and great motors. Or why not look for a V6 out of a 5th or 6th gen Camaro? I would think they would do well in a 3rd

morrow 09-18-2019 02:50 PM

just for refrence , the car in the video is notghing like the car was when i crashed it. track widthe is 7 inches wider than stock and has perfect front end geometry, sitting on 315 30 18 all 4 corners and sits 3 inches off the ground, my plan is ls1 block and heads, 4.8 crank and rod with custom pistobns, pushing back the engin 6 inches and noching back the fire wall...as well as lowering the engin in the chasiss AS much as posible,

blackgloves 09-18-2019 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by morrow (Post 6330674)
just for refrence , the car in the video is notghing like the car was when i crashed it. track widthe is 7 inches wider than stock and has perfect front end geometry, sitting on 315 30 18 all 4 corners and sits 3 inches off the ground, my plan is ls1 block and heads, 4.8 crank and rod with custom pistobns, pushing back the engin 6 inches and noching back the fire wall...as well as lowering the engin in the chasiss AS much as posible,

You're young so I'm guessing this will go in one ear and out the other. But going off your video, this car appears to be somewhat of a daily driver? It's not a track only car? If that's the case I would highly suggest you reconsider notching the fire wall and moving the engine rearward. Having the car 3 inches off the ground isn't the greatest idea either.

If you get into any sort of collision from the front you're gonna have a engine sitting in your lap

morrow 09-20-2019 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by blackgloves (Post 6330694)
You're young so I'm guessing this will go in one ear and out the other. But going off your video, this car appears to be somewhat of a daily driver? It's not a track only car? If that's the case I would highly suggest you reconsider notching the fire wall and moving the engine rearward. Having the car 3 inches off the ground isn't the greatest idea either.

If you get into any sort of collision from the front you're gonna have a engine sitting in your lap

. nope the car in no longer a daily driver just a weekend fun car and track toy

Tibo 09-21-2019 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by morrow (Post 6330674)
pushing back the engin 6 inches and noching back the fire wall...as well as lowering the engin in the chasiss AS much as posible,

To push back the engine you will need to notch the firewall, cut the transmission tunnel open and widen it, get a custom made driveshaft, create a custom trans mount and trans mount bolt location for the frame. Exhaust will need redone.

That's a lot of work for not much gain. Like you I also have the ability for complex projects like this but If I were you I would just purchase a kit car or build a one off rather than chop up and modify a factory car. The Locost variants are very appealing and can easily be built in a garage.

morrow 09-23-2019 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 6331167)
To push back the engine you will need to notch the firewall, cut the transmission tunnel open and widen it, get a custom made driveshaft, create a custom trans mount and trans mount bolt location for the frame. Exhaust will need redone.

That's a lot of work for not much gain. Like you I also have the ability for complex projects like this but If I were you I would just purchase a kit car or build a one off rather than chop up and modify a factory car. The Locost variants are very appealing and can easily be built in a garage.

where is the fun in that, i love this car, anyone csan just buy a kit car and build it, but it takes tallent and skill to do this right, not only that but its way more inexpensive to go this route then get a kit car that ill probably have to re engineer half of it anyway

QwkTrip 09-23-2019 09:45 PM

Every time I look at that car it boggles my mind how wide it is because it looks so normal in proportions. Never seen a widebody done that well. :thumbsup:

QwkTrip 09-23-2019 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by blackgloves (Post 6329450)
This dude sounded like an idiot.

You're young so I'm guessing this will go in one ear and out the other.

You're old so this will go in one hairy ear and get lost before making it to the other, but nobody gives a **** what you think.

kaos420 09-24-2019 06:26 AM

Why all the hate on this guys build?sound to me you're a lil jealous of this guys ideas an accomplishments on his car.people like you are why I HATE most forums F keyboard worriers.guy has done some great mods all by himself he has been on shows an in magazines what the hell have you accomplished with you car?

Tibo 09-28-2019 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by morrow (Post 6331523)
where is the fun in that, i love this car, anyone csan just buy a kit car and build it, but it takes tallent and skill to do this right, not only that but its way more inexpensive to go this route then get a kit car that ill probably have to re engineer half of it anyway

I believe that Cadillac is offering their 3.6L V6 with a manual transmission in their new ATS and CTS V sport series. Its all aluminum direct injection and the 2016 and up supposedly weighs 20 lbs less than the earlier models. Stock it is reported to make 336 hp- that's an LT1 or LS1 with a few small bolt-ons. That could save you the need of cutting apart the firewall.

blackgloves 09-28-2019 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 6331608)
You're old so this will go in one hairy ear and get lost before making it to the other, but nobody gives a **** what you think.

Cool :thumbsup:

blackgloves 09-28-2019 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by kaos420 (Post 6331652)
Why all the hate on this guys build?sound to me you're a lil jealous of this guys ideas an accomplishments on his car.people like you are why I HATE most forums F keyboard worriers.guy has done some great mods all by himself he has been on shows an in magazines what the hell have you accomplished with you car?

You're right. I wish I had a nice 3rd gen

blackgloves 09-28-2019 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 6332342)
I believe that Cadillac is offering their 3.6L V6 with a manual transmission in their new ATS and CTS V sport series. Its all aluminum direct injection and the 2016 and up supposedly weighs 20 lbs less than the earlier models. Stock it is reported to make 336 hp- that's an LT1 or LS1 with a few small bolt-ons. That could save you the need of cutting apart the firewall.

Easy big guy... this makes the 2nd time you've alluded to cutting up the firewall as a bad idea. You're starting to sound like a hairy eared keyboard warrior

Tibo 09-29-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by blackgloves (Post 6332419)
Easy big guy... this makes the 2nd time you've alluded to cutting up the firewall as a bad idea. You're starting to sound like a hairy eared keyboard warrior

I don't think the effort is worth the payout. But it's his car and he seems to have the skills and knowledge to do it so I'll watch. OTOH I'm sure many people could point out things I've done to my car that they don't think were worth the effort.

blackgloves 09-29-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 6332473)
I don't think the effort is worth the payout. But it's his car and he seems to have the skills and knowledge to do it so I'll watch. OTOH I'm sure many people could point out things I've done to my car that they don't think were worth the effort.

I like the car, the overall idea, and I agree with you. I think leaving the car as it is and going with a stronger powerplant will cure his itch. I'd love to see this car with a 5th or 6th gen Camaro V6. Beating some larger displacement cars with this combo would be cool

Tibo 10-12-2019 06:17 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2019-C...YAAOSwdmdc0Xi1

Brand new, 3.6L twin turbo V6 464 horsepower. $7500.

morrow 10-14-2019 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 6334800)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2019-C...YAAOSwdmdc0Xi1

Brand new, 3.6L twin turbo V6 464 horsepower. $7500.

7500, no trans , i can build a ls for half that money is the main obsticle , ive even coinsiderd a 4 rotor at one point lol

Konicokirkland 10-27-2019 08:52 PM

Frankly, just throwing this idea out there but, have you considered moving the front suspension forward a few inches? It'd probably be easier to switch to an sla suspension at that point. Its an idea I hope to do with my car at some point, or another third gen. But overall, relocation of the front suspension would probably yield better results while paired with moving the engine further back. Big problem with that though would be you'd have to come up with your own front fenders at that point.

morrow 11-28-2020 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 6331606)
Every time I look at that car it boggles my mind how wide it is because it looks so normal in proportions. Never seen a widebody done that well. :thumbsup:

thanks man