Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   Re-painted a valve cover and not happy with results (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/753853-re-painted-valve-cover.html)

MY87LT 06-11-2018 06:38 PM

Re-painted a valve cover and not happy with results

3 Attachment(s)
I know I screwed up somewhere. But, after watching a comprehensive video on You Tube on how to paint a valve cover and come up with great results, I bought all the supplies and had a crack at it.

I had ordered a set of decent silver/gray TPI valve covers that needed some repaint. I decided to go a bit custom and go a bit darker but still have metallic sheen to it. Everything seemed to be going well until I came up with a color just too dark. Going to have to re-strip and start over again.

Pic#1 is before any prep work.
Pic#2 is using aircraft paint stripper
Pic#3 is the first coat of paint after three coats of high temp ceramic primer

MY87LT 06-11-2018 06:39 PM

Re: Re-painted a valve cover and not happy with results

3 Attachment(s)
Last pics.

Pic#4 is after three coats of paint and one coat of high temp clear coat.
Pic#5 is the final product which was three coats of primer, three coats of paint, and three coast of clear.

MY87LT 06-11-2018 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, computer acting up right now. Here is pic#5

dagwood 06-11-2018 08:26 PM

I don't think it looks bad....

Abubaca 06-11-2018 08:27 PM

I'm not sure I'm following. Where'd you screw up? -they look pretty good to me. ....unless you simply don't like the color. That's not really a screw up.

dmccain 06-11-2018 09:29 PM

Looks good to me. Id sport em.

NoEmissions84TA 06-11-2018 10:30 PM

I don't see anything wrong with that.

MY87LT 06-11-2018 10:37 PM

It's the color. I was hoping for it to be a lot lighter. As far as the work that went into it, I'm ok with it. This weekend I'll do a side by side comparison with the lighter one that's already installed.

DynoDave43 06-12-2018 09:48 AM

I like the color in photo 3.

"Pic#3 is the first coat of paint after three coats of high temp ceramic primer"

MY87LT 06-12-2018 09:52 AM

I used Duplicolor Metal Cast paint. The cap appeared to be the color in pic#3. One coat just didn't seem enough to make it last. Possible that three coats was overkill and made it darker.

vinny R 06-12-2018 10:25 AM

I like em! I don't think 3 coats is overkill. Some paints need multiple coats to achieve desired results. I am curious to see if it maintains the shine through the heat cycles of the engine.

The Project 06-13-2018 01:18 AM

Chrysler color med gray

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...psef9b5479.jpg

TallTim 06-14-2018 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by MY87LT (Post 6228412)
I used Duplicolor Metal Cast paint. The cap appeared to be the color in pic#3. One coat just didn't seem enough to make it last. Possible that three coats was overkill and made it darker.

Nice job on the finish, after so many coats it's easy to screw up one pass and get a sag or run then ugh.

I've used the metalcast with their color coat being a tinted clear. Each successive color coat adds tint and deepens the color. I found one of my runners hard to re-paint and get the same as the first time I did them.

FWIW looks really nice to me!

t/aws61985 06-14-2018 04:19 PM

I would just get them powder coated. Usually the best way to go. Not too expensive as well.

Steve Quinn 06-14-2018 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just lightly sand and panted over with silver rust oleum engine paint.

1986BANDIT 03-25-2019 06:09 PM

take them both off,prep both of them then paint both together using one lot# of spray paint.this way they match and have the same color

Bob88GTA 03-26-2019 07:16 AM

Adding to the old thread....
Mid America Spruce Paint...."Spruce Nickle" is the color of Original Valve Cover. Google Mid America Spruce Paint.

6998poncho 03-26-2019 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by t/aws61985 (Post 6228952)
I would just get them powder coated. Usually the best way to go. Not too expensive as well.

I'll second that comment. If you want a finish that is oil, heat, and solvent resistant that is the way to go. They have high heat finishes that work particularly well in engine compartments and when you add in the cost of your labor and time there's no comparison to rattle can finishes and I've done a lot of those too.

Firebat 03-27-2019 07:32 AM

This is my method when I spray paint stuff:
1.Wetsand the old paint
2. Wash and clean really good
3. Sometimes use primer, mostly only if I have exposed metal or uneven area or scratches. Sand again if I used primer. Clean again.
4. Apply Spray Paint
5. Apply clear if necessary.

I kind of consider the old paint the primer. It's sticking to the metal just fine and probably better then the spray paint I will apply. A lot of the time the item is powder coated or better paint then spray paint. 99% of the time I have no problem with spray paint sticking to sanded down paint with no primer. Using paint stripper takes a lot more time and doesn't always remove the paint evenly.

The spray paint I use:
A. Rustoleum High Performance spray paint in the silver can is the best spray paint I have used. It is way different then even the regular white can Rustoleum spray paint. Silver can RHP paint dries in 15 minutes. I have not tested this paint in the engine bay yet though. Just discovered it last year and used it on my mowers.
B. Krylon Plastic Fusion - Amazing for plastic. Painted plastics with this in temperatures as low as 40 degrees and stuck to the plastic with no issues.

MY87LT 06-17-2020 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA (Post 6290582)
Adding to the old thread....
Mid America Spruce Paint...."Spruce Nickle" is the color of Original Valve Cover. Google Mid America Spruce Paint.

I went ahead and ordered this paint from Corvette Central yesterday. As soon as it arrives, I'll prep the valve covers, repaint them, and post pictures. Hopefully I'll get the results I am looking for.