Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   88 Formula - Love the color (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/757927-88-formula-love-color.html)

IROCIN 12-16-2018 07:31 AM

88 Formula - Love the color

BizJetTech 12-16-2018 07:34 AM

Re: 88 Formula - Love the color

Very cool - you dont see many medium orange metallic Formulas, they only made 404 in 1988.
I like the black interior !!

punkmaster98 12-16-2018 07:40 AM

black interior, sweet color, and hardtop?!?! I'm in love

Abubaca 12-16-2018 07:49 AM

I saw that car a few weeks ago....if any of you guys remember my saga with that blue iroc a few months back, -THIS car was also on my potentials list. Ultimately decided not to buy anything, at least not just yet. Car is beautiful, at least in pics!

IROCIN 12-16-2018 07:53 AM

It has been posted for about a month. It is about 2 hours from when I am, and for a Michigan car, looks pretty clean. Had I not gotten my Iroc in September to work on, I would jump on this.....

88IROCvertZ 12-16-2018 08:36 AM

Looks like a fair price and looks and sounds impressive..

Very rare color only in 1988 I believe..

Big&BadGTA 12-16-2018 09:22 AM

Probably would have sold by now if it had power windows. Also wonder if it would look better as a solid color vs. the silver lower.

BizJetTech 12-16-2018 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA (Post 6268761)
Probably would have sold by now if it had power windows. Also wonder if it would look better as a solid color vs. the silver lower.

Most people dont realize two tone paint was standard on all Formula's.
You had to order RPO WX1 (two-tone delete) to get a solid color Formula.
A lot of buyers went for solid color, in 1988 8052 of the 13,480 built (305 & 350 Formulas) were two-tone delete cars.

Abubaca 12-16-2018 10:10 AM

I really like the two tone. I do think that it does look a little more dated, BUT......I don't think there's anything wrong with dated. A 32 Ford, 57 Chevy, 69 Camaro......and the last thirdgen ever made is almost 30 years old.....I think dated has some staying power in this hobby! :)

BizJetTech 12-16-2018 10:13 AM

Damn....now you guys got me wanting to buy this one as well.....:doh:

BizJetTech 12-16-2018 10:15 AM

On a 4th look at the pics, I've changed my mind....looks like it's been undercoated so not for me.
Plus looks like th top is in need of paint, but still a good car for someone, just not me

Abubaca 12-16-2018 10:30 AM

On a 4th look at the pics, I've changed my mind....looks like it's been undercoated so not for me.
Plus looks like th top is in need of paint, but still a good car for someone, just not me
My wife and I are looking at thirdgens, fox body Mustang's....or an LT1 4th gen SS car. -and they gotta be original/stock or darn close.Those are the cars we agree on. ...and yes, this is a WE thing. She won't drive my Iroc, and the next car needs to be one she'll drive or she won't approve the money!!! (LOL) . I want a manual, she wants T tops or a vert. This car has neither. BUT....we both REALLY like this car! ....just isn't for us. I've actually gone back and looked over this car a few times. I really like it. ....just doesn't do what I need it to do in this case!!!!!

IROCIN 12-16-2018 02:16 PM

I like the originality and split color. If I could get it between 5k-6k it may be worth pulling the trigger on since the color is low production, and enjoy it as is.

Abubaca 12-16-2018 02:17 PM

I think in the craigslist add it's already down to $6500

TTOP350 12-16-2018 02:19 PM

That's a great looking combo!

Big&BadGTA 12-16-2018 02:39 PM

Showed my wife. She's still laughing about the color combo. Said I'd owe her Whitesnake or Poison tickets, and have to drive that Formy to the show. Such a dated look, she said.

That said, sent the ad Lin to my friend who just sold his 1989 GTA and looking for something else.

IROCIN 12-16-2018 03:05 PM

Abubaca, you are correct, he is at $6500 on Craigslist. You'd think he would update the other ad also.... I am intrigued.....get it bought right, clean it up this summer and take it up to the Auburn Cord Duesenburg auction in the fall, and see what type in interest it would garner in the FSBO lot outside the auction building....

Drew 12-16-2018 03:45 PM

No one else thinks it's dangerously close to Brown? Or Red-Oxide primer?

BizJetTech 12-16-2018 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6268836)
No one else thinks it's dangerously close to Brown? Or Red-Oxide primer?

It's one of those colors that jumps out at ya, but for me the more I look at it, the less I like it......it's different that's for sure

Drew 12-16-2018 05:13 PM

The Orange and Black stripe at the bottom is really kind of iconic for the 80's Formulas, but it really harkens back to the Candy Corn 70's. The colors are complimentary, they go together, but they're not visually pleasing "modern" combinations.

I remember back in highschool an acquaintance had a 66 Mustang that was dark metallic green, with a black vinyl top. In the very early 90's, that was a really dated color combo. Later in the 90's, the dark green and teal greens really exploded in popularity. The Highland Green Bullitt Mustang had that same resurgence in popularity in the 2000's, and now I'm rebuilding a dark metallic green Firebird. I didn't like it when I was 14, but now it's sharp. I just hope that when I finish the car in 2027 the metallic green isn't "out" again.

DynoDave43 12-16-2018 06:23 PM

I love it...drool over the pictures every time I browse through local CL ads.

Abubaca 12-16-2018 06:23 PM

Several of you (in this thread and others) have negatively referenced the two tone as "dated". Of all the colors and options, I certainly understand we don't all like the same thing, but I don't understand what you all mean by dated. If you're going for the modern look, I hate to tell ya but a monotone GTA or IROC isn't fooling anyone. If it's just not your cup of tea, I get it. ....but they're ALL dated, lol.

Drew 12-16-2018 06:41 PM

A refrigerator is still basically a refrigerator even if it's 40 years old. But if your fridge is "Harvest Gold" or "Pea Soup Green" in 2018, it's going to stand out.

My garage fridge is 40 years old, and it's green. LOL

Abubaca 12-16-2018 07:03 PM

A refrigerator is still basically a refrigerator even if it's 40 years old. But if your fridge is "Harvest Gold" or "Pea Soup Green" in 2018, it's going to stand out.
Ehhh...I still disagree. You may not be a fan of flames, but on a 32 Ford, they just look good, whether it's your thing or not. On my '13 Sierra, flames would look ridiculous. -and a two tone paint job on a 1988 looks just fine. It may not be your thing, but it's period correct. No more dated than fins on a tri-five. It's the era, and it belongs there!

At least in my opinion. :waveman:

BizJetTech 12-16-2018 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6268883)

My garage fridge is 40 years old, and it's green. LOL

I'd call this one tomato soup.....

QwkTrip 12-16-2018 07:08 PM

Heirloom tomato.

Abubaca 12-16-2018 07:17 PM

But I do love me some Candy Corn 70's paintjobs, so maybe I'm just off in the head.

IROCIN 12-16-2018 09:31 PM

I spoke to the owner, and it had been undercoated. He removed it as best he could when he replaced the fuel pump. I may go up and check it out over the hoildays if I get a chance. I threw him an offer considerably less than his ask of $6500, and didn't get a flat out NO, so maybe a deal can be made. Candy Corn Cruising may be in my future....lol

Linson 12-17-2018 01:11 PM

Hardtop Formula 350? I’m a big sucker for that.
For black interior too.

Abubaca 12-17-2018 02:54 PM

IROCIN.....hope you guys work something out and ya come home with it! ....and of course, we'll need lots of pics!

steve87ta 12-17-2018 03:00 PM

Stripped one just like that 10 years ago......still have some of the parts.... probably should have fixed it but it was rusty.

kentuckyKITT 12-17-2018 06:21 PM

I kind of like it. Never seen that color before. I tend to like the non common colors. I kind of favor all gold Firebirds. I've often wondered what an all gold Formula or GTA would look like in the 70s Solar Gold color.

*ducks and quickly runs out of the room.

ksr 12-17-2018 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca (Post 6268879)
Several of you (in this thread and others) have negatively referenced the two tone as "dated". Of all the colors and options, I certainly understand we don't all like the same thing, but I don't understand what you all mean by dated. If you're going for the modern look, I hate to tell ya but a monotone GTA or IROC isn't fooling anyone. If it's just not your cup of tea, I get it. ....but they're ALL dated, lol.

I couldn't agree with you more. They're all 26 years old and older. They are from another era. In some ways, a better era than the sea of gray, silver, white, and black that our highways have become. Your typical GM car today offers a color palate with black, mosaic black, gray, graphite, white, pearl white, and other variations of these. God forbid they offered orange and green. Well, there is a green Camaro now, in the most obnoxious, god-awful variation of green imaginable.

No offense if you have one of the colors I mentioned. I actually like 3rd gens in white (I had one) and black. But there's just way too much of those four colors out there now.

Big&BadGTA 12-17-2018 07:48 PM

Driving down the road today, a lady in a rust colored copper Subaru pulled up beside me. Couldn't help but think how much cooler she'd have been in the orange Formula .

LT1/TA 12-18-2018 08:59 AM

I really like the color,two-tone,and lower stripe,my taste may be dated but I would love to have it.

scottmoyer 12-22-2018 06:26 PM

Isn't that car from a member on here? Many year's ago, it was his aunt's car, or his grandmother's? I think I remember seeing this car quite a bit when he joined TGO. Or, am I mistaken?