Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   Power Bulge Hood Louver (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/774823-power-bulge-hood-louver.html)

CharcoalBird 02-08-2021 09:57 PM

Power Bulge Hood Louver

Hello everyone. I have a request for those of you who have the power bulge hood with the louvered decal on it.

I purchased that decal from Phoenix Graphics and sent it to a company to have something custom made, however, they are no longer communicating with me so there goes that $150 decal.

Would anyone be able to trace the decal onto paper as a template? I would just need the outer edges of it traced, not all the inner louver portion.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Jim

LAFireboyd 02-09-2021 12:57 PM

Re: Power bulge hood decal request.

Awfully large to try to trace, but here's a pic of a decal on a spare hood I have. 13-1/2" across the top. 4-1/2" across the bottom. 36" tall along the straight side. That oughta help you mock-up an outline.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...0910b9f3cd.jpg

CharcoalBird 02-09-2021 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd (Post 6414043)
Awfully large to try to trace, but here's a pic of a decal on a spare hood I have. 13-1/2" across the top. 4-1/2" across the bottom. 36" tall along the straight side. That oughta help you mock-up an outline.

Thank you for the reply, LAFireboyd. It is large, and I hate to order another decal that I'm not going to use. Nobody local that I know of has that hood decal. Guess I could just trace the lines of the power bulge. What I am having done is a real louver in place of the decal louvers.
I had sent the decal to TrackSpec to have this made similar to what they have been doing for the IROC hood louvers. After I sent the decal to them, they quit communicating with me. Member Morrow will now be doing it for me. Just need to provide him with a template.

LAFireboyd 02-09-2021 08:20 PM

I like the idea. Real louvers could be made to fit the bulge better than the decal does. If it works out, and people like it, I hope Morrow will be prepared to make more, rather than chalking it up to a one-off.

The products Trackspec offers on its website look good. And plenty of people have their IROC louvers, so it's obviously a legitimate operation. At least, keep after them to get your decal back.

CharcoalBird 02-10-2021 06:06 PM

I hope it looks as good as I have it pictured in my head.

Will stay on top of TrackSpec though. Once I unveil them installed, I'm sure he will receive more requests for them.

LAFireboyd 02-10-2021 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by CharcoalBird (Post 6414251)
Once I unveil them installed, I'm sure he will receive more requests for them.

Them? At first I was thinking you would be changing to a Power Bulge hood, which would require only one louver, obviously. But now it sounds like you might be keeping your RA2 hood, and installing them like IROC louvers? If this is the case, then wouldn't IROC louvers look the same, just as good? After all, the Trackspec IROC louvers, driver's side, specifically, is similar enough in shape to the power bulge, that it looks like it would almost fit, as it is. And nothing would need to be specially fabricated. Just saying, not criticizing, because I think I'm going to like whatever you're planning.

I thought of one other possibility, too, but I'll leave that alone, just in case, so you can try to keep your project under wraps, whatever it is, until you're ready to reveal.

BIRD91ZRAG 02-10-2021 09:27 PM

Call the police department in the city where you sent the decal and see if they'll pay the company a visit... might scare them into sending your decal back...

CharcoalBird 02-11-2021 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd (Post 6414262)
Them? At first I was thinking you would be changing to a Power Bulge hood, which would require only one louver, obviously. But now it sounds like you might be keeping your RA2 hood, and installing them like IROC louvers? If this is the case, then wouldn't IROC louvers look the same, just as good? After all, the Trackspec IROC louvers, driver's side, specifically, is similar enough in shape to the power bulge, that it looks like it would almost fit, as it is. And nothing would need to be specially fabricated. Just saying, not criticizing, because I think I'm going to like whatever you're planning.

I thought of one other possibility, too, but I'll leave that alone, just in case, so you can try to keep your project under wraps, whatever it is, until you're ready to reveal.

I can see how that was confusing, apologies. I am switching to a power bulge hood and it will only be 1 just like factory.
I should be able to make the template based on your measurements and following the curvature on the hood. Will let you know how it turns out.

Edit: Received an email back from TrackSpec finally. Design is done and they will be working on the prototype next week.

LAFireboyd 07-01-2021 02:31 PM

It's been 4 and a half months... anything good to report?

CharcoalBird 07-07-2021 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd (Post 6431929)

TrackSpec did not reply to my last email 2 or 3 months ago(has been almost 9 months since they received the decal.) I ended up sending another decal to Morrow in mid May, hopefully he will be finished with it soon.

Once the louver arrives from him, I'll send another e-mail to TrackSpec. The last e-mail I received from them they stated that the prototype would be arriving to their location with the next batch(January or Feb) as they had already made it. I will ask for my decal back and depending on their answer, I'll leave a review.

-Jim

CharcoalBird 07-11-2021 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd (Post 6431929)

Was told by Morrow that he hopes it will be done by next weekend. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

-Jim

CharcoalBird 08-08-2021 07:06 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...f2fb120d2.jpeg
Getting closer to production.

LAFireboyd 08-08-2021 08:37 PM

Looks good. Is that a prototype or a template? Hard to tell without any depth to the photo.

Abubaca 08-09-2021 09:29 AM

That's awesome!:thumbsup:

CharcoalBird 08-09-2021 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd (Post 6436709)
Looks good. Is that a prototype or a template? Hard to tell without any depth to the photo.

Template. Once he sends me the final product I'll post up.

Originally Posted by Abubaca (Post 6436738)
That's awesome!:thumbsup:

Thanks! Looking good so far!

NoEmissions84TA 08-09-2021 06:02 PM

I like it better than the original.

CharcoalBird 08-25-2021 07:22 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...7ea95cfea.jpeg
Should be here on Friday.

battmann 08-25-2021 11:46 AM

These look pretty nice. Would you be willing to share what you paid?
Thinking these might be helpful on my turbo ‘84 TA build.

CharcoalBird 08-25-2021 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by battmann (Post 6438851)
These look pretty nice. Would you be willing to share what you paid?
Thinking these might be helpful on my turbo ‘84 TA build.

What I paid and what you would pay may be different. Now that they have the template and sizing for their cnc machine. I paid $485 for them to custom make this for me. I have roughly $750 into this vent though.

battmann 08-25-2021 09:10 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Looking forward to seeing how this looks installed on your car!

CharcoalBird 09-03-2021 08:14 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...30edb09122.jpg
Dropped it off at the paint shop yesterday. Next picture I post will be when I install it on the car.

LAFireboyd 09-11-2021 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by CharcoalBird (Post 6440016)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...30edb09122.jpg
Dropped it off at the paint shop yesterday. Next picture I post will be when I install it on the car.

You dropped off the hood at the paint shop on the 2nd? Today is the 11th. When do you expect to get it back? Does the louver bolt down easily, no curvature issues?

CharcoalBird 09-11-2021 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd (Post 6440827)
You dropped off the hood at the paint shop on the 2nd? Today is the 11th. When do you expect to get it back? Does the louver bolt down easily, no curvature issues?

I'm hoping to have it back somewhere around the 20-24th. Said he would get started on it this week. There should be no issue bolting it down. It does bend enough to lay flat through the curvature.

Mongoose 09-12-2021 11:08 AM

How much structure did you have to remove to get it to fit?

CharcoalBird 09-12-2021 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mongoose (Post 6440905)
How much structure did you have to remove to get it to fit?

None, if fit right in with just the skin cut out.

CharcoalBird 10-05-2021 01:39 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...286ea863d9.jpg
Still have to fit the hood to the car and put a few extra screws into the vent...but here is a sneak peak before I get some better pictures.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...53345c7462.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...cffc3a17af.jpg

LAFireboyd 10-10-2021 08:43 PM

Looks good, natural, like it could be factory... ish. This is what the decal seems to be representing/emulating.

Does it have an anodized finish, or is it paintable? I can't help wondering how it might look if painted to match. Probably just as good.

battmann 10-11-2021 06:43 AM

I like how that turned out. IMO - I’d leave it black since it matches your wheels.

LAFireboyd 10-11-2021 09:05 AM

Now that you've accomplished your goal, you might consider changing the title of this thread to, Power Bulge Hood Louver, or something similar. By mentioning the louver, I think it will garner more interest.

Mongoose 10-11-2021 09:13 AM

So is this a one of one or is there a potential of it being mass produced?

CharcoalBird 10-11-2021 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd (Post 6444525)
Looks good, natural, like it could be factory... ish. This is what the decal seems to be representing/emulating.

Thanks. I was at the Fbody Beach Bash this past weekend and had an 84 T/A next to me. I should have taken a picture of them side by side. Looked great. Got many compliments on it.

Does it have an anodized finish, or is it paintable? I can't help wondering how it might look if painted to match. Probably just as good.

When you order it you can request to leave it bare. I had this one powder coated. I thought about having it painted gloss black.

Originally Posted by battmann (Post 6444558)
I like how that turned out. IMO - I’d leave it black since it matches your wheels.

I intend to. Kinda wish I had it painted a gloss black instead of powder coated the same as the IROC louvers are.

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd (Post 6444567)
Now that you've accomplished your goal, you might consider changing the title of this thread to, Power Bulge Hood Louver, or something similar. By mentioning the louver, I think it will garner more interest.

Was at the Fbody Beach Bash this weekend and it had plenty of interest.

Originally Posted by Mongoose (Post 6444568)
So is this a one of one or is there a potential of it being mass produced?

It will be produced when ordered. If enough interest I'm sure he'll make a batch of them.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...54b1ff819.jpeg

scarbucket 10-21-2021 08:20 PM

Re: Power Bulge Hood Louver

I’d be interested in one

irvan 10-21-2021 08:57 PM

Re: Power Bulge Hood Louver

That's spectacular.