Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Auto Detailing and Appearance (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/)
-   -   [Youtube] Camaro IROC Rehab (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/783460-youtube-camaro-iroc-rehab.html)

Thirdgen89GTA 12-03-2022 11:10 AM

[Youtube] Camaro IROC Rehab

We don't get much thirdgen love on TV anymore, but this popped up on my feed.

Thirdgen89GTA 12-03-2022 11:11 AM

Re: [Youtube] Camaro IROC Rehab

Part 2

Komet 12-03-2022 07:34 PM

Cool build, must be nice to have a full shop and slap 15k+ of shiny new parts in. Edelbrock recommends an Edelbrock crate engine because cam swaps are hard, lol ok.

Thirdgen89GTA 12-03-2022 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Komet (Post 6487010)
Cool build, must be nice to have a full shop and slap 15k+ of shiny new parts in. Edelbrock recommends an Edelbrock crate engine because cam swaps are hard, lol ok.

Ummm, need a bit more than a cam swap to fix a rod knock.

We all know its a sponsored build, so of course they used a tone of edelbrock parts, whether they were the best or not.

But at the minimum that car needed a short-block rebuild. And due to time constraints it really is easier to put a crate motor into something. Not saying its a really hard build at all, its not. But I don't hate it, at least they didn't go hog wild with tasteless appearance modifications.

GTA1990 12-06-2022 08:00 AM

def good to see a thirdgen being represented. Was hoping for a bit more than a derivative format and content though. But its a good start and want to encourage it

StevenK 12-07-2022 08:01 AM

I like how in the last episode how they were praising Bendpack for making it so they could drop the motor and trans from the bottom... you don't need a fancy lift

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a82ce28136.jpg

Manic Z 12-07-2022 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by StevenK (Post 6487235)
I like how in the last episode how they were praising Bendpack for making it so they could drop the motor and trans from the bottom... you don't need a fancy lift

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...a82ce28136.jpg

Man oh man. I've seen this done so many times, but no way in hell am I going under a car propped up like this....

Thirdgen89GTA 12-07-2022 02:05 PM

I don't think that would work with my Long Tubes. I'd have to look at the tube to frame-rail width.

But yeah, on a stock engine that's EXACTLY how they assembled it.

As a side note, I'm TERRIFIED of trying to get those K-member bolts to come loose lol. I don't think they've been un-done since it left the factory in 1988.

StevenK 12-08-2022 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA (Post 6487267)
As a side note, I'm TERRIFIED of trying to get those K-member bolts to come loose lol. I don't think they've been un-done since it left the factory in 1988.

I'm always way more scared to strip them putting them back in since they are part of the frame rail, I can't even imagine how you would fix one if you crossthreaded.

Manic Z 12-21-2022 02:17 PM

Anyone keeping up with the build?
Latest video came out yesterday....
They put 'Edel-ROC' decals on it......dear god.

stron3 12-21-2022 02:39 PM

I lost interest after episode 3.

TTOP350 12-21-2022 02:45 PM

Decals and wheel color aren't my taste but overall a fairly decent build

topduarte 12-21-2022 06:41 PM

Did Edelbrock pay for the rebuild?

Sure looks like it.

Shaking my head here.

JohnFB 12-26-2022 09:59 PM

I was surprised (and a bit disappointed) that they didn't fully address the paint issues. They showed how they polished up the areas that had paint,
but there were areas where the paint was either very thin or missing, and I don't think they did anything with that. The paint on the bumpers showed
cracking, and I don't think that was fixed.

I know that applying new paint is expensive and time-consuming, but it seems strange to add some fairly expensive hardware to a car
with such obvious paint flaws.

TTOP350 12-29-2022 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by JohnFB (Post 6488808)
I was surprised (and a bit disappointed) that they didn't fully address the paint issues. They showed how they polished up the areas that had paint,
but there were areas where the paint was either very thin or missing, and I don't think they did anything with that. The paint on the bumpers showed
cracking, and I don't think that was fixed.

I know that applying new paint is expensive and time-consuming, but it seems strange to add some fairly expensive hardware to a car
with such obvious paint flaws.

To me that makes more sense. With non perfect paint, its more fun to drive hard and not worry about a small scuff, scratch or even dent.
it's how i like them.. non show cars

gt4373 12-29-2022 08:57 AM

That Shifter Is Totally Wrong For A Third Gen

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...351d7970eb.jpg

JohnFB 12-29-2022 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 6488993)
To me that makes more sense. With non perfect paint, its more fun to drive hard and not worry about a small scuff, scratch or even dent.
it's how i like them.. non show cars

Well, it makes a bit more sense to me after I saw the final (test drive) episode. They didn't explain what they did there, but they obviously did touch up the front and rear
bumpers, so it looks more presentable.

Thirdgen89GTA 12-29-2022 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by gt4373 (Post 6488994)
That Shifter Is Totally Wrong For A Third Gen

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...351d7970eb.jpg

That looks way too far back to be comfortable. I assume its in neutral there.

I have a hurst short-throw on my T56 with a short-stick and I do wish it had a SLIGHT angle backwards. Mostly because with the car in 1st or 3rd, I can touch the radio with my fingertips easily. Once I had my hand slip off the shifter on a fast 2-3 shift and jammed my finger into the radio pod. It hurt for days.

tom3 12-29-2022 10:07 AM

I saw this in the Hemmings magazine, fired up Youtube and watched the first segment. Lost interest when I realized it was just a long infomercial on how to install the sponsor's expensive parts. Edelbrock has been bought and sold a couple times, merged with Comp Cams, moved out of California so it's hard to tell just what they're produciing these days. But I think this particular IROC was a super buy to start with and will be one heck of a machine when finished.