Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Tires, what are a good set? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/266292-tires-what-good-set.html)

therckid 11-04-2004 09:40 PM

Tires, what are a good set?

Ok guys, my current coopers are at 9k miles and they are way past the wear bar. I dont know how i did this but i did so many burnouts without ever knowing cause they are quiet.

So what is a good set of cheap ones that'll cost effectively hold me until the next set when i have more cash.

these kumho's are $56 a tire, is that a good deal or what?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

these arew some new things y fusion which i've never heard of but i'm always up for trying never heard of products, $85 a tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

JeffW 11-04-2004 10:17 PM

i belive the fusion is made by bridgestone brand new line for them so i don;t think you will get many reviews on em yet. uni t is a bridgestone technology. so it should be a good tire if it is anything like the rest of their products it should hold up well (depending on amount of burnouts)

jeff

firebirdpl 11-04-2004 10:19 PM

go wit bfg g force kdws a little pricy but last forver and great in any weather

therckid 11-04-2004 10:21 PM

i need cheap tires, my current tires were pricey, $260 for both rear and after 9k miles they are bare. They are warenteed for 20k miles but i dont wanna wait until they blow out.

I trhink i'll order the $56 tires next week that way i'll atleast be somewhat safe in the wet roads.

Baylisstic12 11-04-2004 10:30 PM

I currently have Cooper Cobra Radial G/T's on my Firebird, they suck in the rain, but, you're right, you can smoke 'em and they hardly make a sound! I think next time I'll get BF Goodrich Radial T/A's.

Rabbitt 11-05-2004 10:29 PM

yah, i have Cooper Cobra Radial GTZ tires on my Iroc in the back (came with the car, Potenza's in the front.. im am discraced :p) and i can light-em up like nobody's business and they barely make a sound.. when i get on it they *it* will spin like crazy but barely make a peep.

And i hate those tires, they suck *** in the rain.

therckid 11-05-2004 10:30 PM

i'm gonnas get the 711's becuase a shop here is selling them for $72 a peice installed.

Cadillac 11-05-2004 10:34 PM

Check these (for price)

Yoko Avid S/T

I highly recommend the Kuhmo 711's too... sweet performing tire.

DuronClocker 11-06-2004 01:12 PM

I have the Kumho 712s and I think they are fairly decent tires for $380 installed. I probably won't buy them again though. Don't get me wrong, for the money, they are great tires, but next time I buy tires, I'm either going to go with the 711s for $260-280ish or some much better tire for $500ish. Then again, next time I buy new tires, I'll be buying new (4th gen) rims... If I go 17" rims, then I'm going to have to spend extra dough for good tires :rolleyes:

RSraider41 11-07-2004 11:51 PM

i also have the 711's for now....Not quite as nice as i would like, but for what you pay for them they definitely get the job done

CaptPicardsZ28 11-08-2004 12:10 AM

Originally posted by therckid
i need cheap tires, my current tires were pricey, $260 for both rear and after 9k miles they are bare. They are warenteed for 20k miles but i dont wanna wait until they blow out.

I trhink i'll order the $56 tires next week that way i'll atleast be somewhat safe in the wet roads.

Never put tires on an f-body that are warrantied for only 20K miles. You get what you pay for. You can't buy cheap tires and expect them to last. It ain't happening.

flrtin1 11-08-2004 12:16 AM

He's in St Louis it's the middle of Nov. and he is not smart enough to think that "wet" roads are the least of his problems. I give it about 5 min in the first ice storm and he wont have a reason to post here anymore with no thirdgen :eek:

therckid 11-08-2004 12:17 AM

my dad alreayd offered to drive me to work and school. I want to drive my car as little as possible in the winter. In may i'm moving back so its gonnastay as good as possible until then.

sellmanb 11-08-2004 12:29 AM

if you have a 20k warrantee on the 9k tires, then tap into the warrantee and get brand new ones for free.

CaptPicardsZ28 11-08-2004 12:44 AM

Originally posted by flrtin1
He's in St Louis it's the middle of Nov. and he is not smart enough to think that "wet" roads are the least of his problems. I give it about 5 min in the first ice storm and he wont have a reason to post here anymore with no thirdgen :eek:
For sure...very few people if any can drive a rear wheel drive sports car in the ice and snow. Most park them for the winter. We have mostly rain here in AZ (when it does rain) and very little snow. Surprisingly, both my boys have driven the 84Z28 in the snow ( it falls lightly here for a max of two inches then melts), and the oldest one has driven his honda with low profile tires in the snow too. But it is rare. Did I mention its also dangerous? :D

grngryoutmyway 11-08-2004 01:02 AM

Yea not a good idea, Ive driven the maro on iced roads before and its a bit difficult. Its definately worth it to try and get the warrantee tho I killed some Eagle G/A's in like 7k mi and got fully refunded. If its just the rear tho they probably wont do anything.