Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   How long for an auto to standard trans swap? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/321278-how-long-auto-standard.html)

redbird_400 09-16-2005 06:44 AM

How long for an auto to standard trans swap?

I've been driving my 700R4 for quite some time and its cool, but I would have much more fun with a standard. Given that at the time I have all the needed parts, how long does the process usually take? Could this have the timeframe of a weekend job? Any stories from those who have done it?

CrazyHawaiian 09-16-2005 08:30 AM

If you have everything you need and the right tools it can be done in a weekend. I know people that have done 700R4 to T56 swap in 1 day. I'm getting ready to do mine soon on my 91Z and we're planning on 1 day. Just gotta make sure you have everything you need when you start. If you gotta go find a part or a tool or a bolt or whatever then it'll possibly take longer than a weekend.

colonboy14 09-16-2005 01:54 PM

When I did mine, not really knowing what I was doing, it took me 3 days. And two of those days were hanging the clutch pedal. That's the hardest part IMHO.

90FormulaWS6 09-16-2005 04:31 PM

Originally posted by colonboy14
When I did mine, not really knowing what I was doing, it took me 3 days. And two of those days were hanging the clutch pedal. That's the hardest part IMHO.
I did mine in 2 days. It will be a two day job if you want to take your time and do it right. The hardest part is absolutely mounting the pedal assembly. But as long as you read up and take your time, its not extremely difficult.

lonsal 09-16-2005 09:30 PM

You can do it in a weekend, but I stretched it to two and it remained driveable at the end of each weekend. I swapped the clutch pedal assy into it on one weekend and dropped the 700R4 and swapped the T5 the following weekend.

Lon

Zepher 09-18-2005 05:22 PM

Took us 2 days, this was swapping an auto from one car to the other and doign the same with the manual.

Hardest part for us was pulling the 700R4. The pedals were easy since I had already done a pedal swap 3 times on my 86 T/A.

Drilling the holes for the M/C cylinder was easy since we had the 5 speed car next us for reference.

lonsal 09-18-2005 06:03 PM

I had a manual tranny car to take dimensions for the hole in the firewall too. But it turns out it was pretty easy. The carpet insulation under the carpeting has the hole cutout already. All you need to do is remove that cutout and use a hole saw to cut the hole through the firewall. I didn't have the right size hole saw, so I drilled multiple small holes with a drill and finished it off with a Dremel tool.

It is easier to swap the pedals if you remove the brace under the steering column and drop it. That way you have easier access to the one bolt that holds the manual pedal brace at the top. I'm sure removing the drivers seat would help give extra room too.

Lon

Zepher 09-18-2005 06:24 PM

Originally posted by lonsal
I'm sure removing the drivers seat would help give extra room too.

Lon

removing the seat makes it much easier, especially if you are a big guy.