Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   The part that the rear bumper connects by push pins.... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/361251-part-rear-bumper-connects.html)

PneumaticTire 04-29-2006 05:39 PM

The part that the rear bumper connects by push pins....

Is rotted out on my 86 z28. How can I repair this? Is this part something I can replace. or does extensive work need to be done. You know what part im talking about. IF you look under the car at the rear where the rear bumper is suppose to have pushi pins holding it under there. Thanks guys!

92MaroRS 04-29-2006 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by PneumaticTire
Is rotted out on my 86 z28. How can I repair this? Is this part something I can replace. or does extensive work need to be done. You know what part im talking about. IF you look under the car at the rear where the rear bumper is suppose to have pushi pins holding it under there. Thanks guys!

its called a Bumper Reinforcement bar, costs between 75-100 and any autobody supply store should be able to get it.

PneumaticTire 04-29-2006 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 92MaroRS
its called a Bumper Reinforcement bar, costs between 75-100 and any autobody supply store should be able to get it.

I havent got a good look at it, is it bolt in, or welded? Thanks man, I appriciate the help!

92MaroRS 04-29-2006 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by PneumaticTire
I havent got a good look at it, is it bolt in, or welded? Thanks man, I appriciate the help!

Bolted on using 8 bolts.

PneumaticTire 04-29-2006 09:22 PM

:nod:

Originally Posted by 92MaroRS
Bolted on using 8 bolts.

theskid21 03-18-2013 06:14 PM

Re: The part that the rear bumper connects by push pins....

Do i have to remove the rear bumper to replace the reinforcing bar?

2007xl50 03-19-2013 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by theskid21 (Post 5516035)
Do i have to remove the rear bumper to replace the reinforcing bar?

Um yes! The inner hatch panels have to be remover, then remove the taillights and the plate bracket, then the rear bumper cover, there are 3 nuts on each side of the inside of the hatch-10mm IIRC that hold the cover on, there is one small screw or nut under the car where the cover meets the 1/4 that has to be removed-you will see it if you lay under the car and lok up, then on to the push clips on top and bottom of the cover. Once you have the cover pulled you will see the 8 cairage bolts that hold the Reinforcement bar on. I have never pulled the Reinforcement bar, but I have read on here that most of the time the bolts have to be cut or tourched off as they will just spin and spin. Good luck finding a good bar in the junk yard as most are rotted bad and you will not get them off with hand tools

The Reinforcement bar on my RS has a few spots where the lower clips go in that is rotting, but I'm going to grid the rust out and plate the bottom of the Reinforcement bar then dill new holes for the clips in the plate.

6SIX6 03-19-2013 10:35 PM

Mine is rotted but the bumper still holds there fine with out the pins. to me if it looks fine leave it as to me its not a issue I worry about but thats me and my 2 cents

2007xl50 03-20-2013 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by 6SIX6 (Post 5517143)
Mine is rotted but the bumper still holds there fine with out the pins. to me if it looks fine leave it as to me its not a issue I worry about but thats me and my 2 cents

My thing is I don't want it to get worse and I have to replace my rear cover anyways so while I have the cover off I'm going to fix it the best I can on the car. I will not have much money in the repair so it's worth it to me.

Joe Tag 03-30-2013 09:25 AM

Rock auto has one delivered for just under $90. Not as well made as OEM, but a rotted reinforcement is much weaker.

!CamaroDave 03-30-2013 10:59 PM

I'm currently replacing mine with a used one. Found a really clean used one for $50 with the honeycomb. Mine was completely rusted out in the middle and I could pull off with my hands Lol. Had to rotozip the top bolts off because they spun every time I tried to loosen them.