Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   delete air bag..? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/369634-delete-air-bag.html)

sogabe 06-07-2006 01:20 PM

delete air bag..?

okay, with my aftermarket steering wheel in(finally),
I was kinda scared taht it'd pop in my face
but I safely removed the airbag and its module.

now its no surprise the car is warning me
airbag isnt there.. and Im like "YES I KNOW K DAMMIT"

I never touched ECM before as Im such a noob,
but if any1 know an easy way to disable that light,
please let me know!
caz I think I read somewhere that all u need to do is cut
a wire.. sounds easier than taking the bulb off cluster panel, so I think that's what I want to do if that's as easy!

my car is 91 RS 3.1L if that changes anything :D

dwilliamsfaq 06-07-2006 01:37 PM

airbag

If you have removed the bag assy, the just take the gages out and remove the bulb.

peace

Stephen 06-07-2006 04:11 PM

What about inspection time? You may have an inspector, who'll look the other way, but, do you realize, a cop can, at the very least, check your inspection sticker, to find out who inspected it. And investigate/penalize them?

You say, "Well, the bag was on there when he inspected it." But, that only goes so far. My wife was the supervisor, for the department at DPS, that investigated vehicle inspectors. I'd put the air bag back on myself.

sogabe 06-08-2006 12:34 AM

yeah, I guess ill take the bulb out.

and yeah thanks for warning I know it isnt illegal
but I got stopped by cop and they never looks at steering wheel or if i have an airbag or not..

kinda dumb how aftermarket steeringwheel isnt compatible with airbags.. its like they want me to go outlaw or what..
but oh well ill take the risk and im only gonna kill myself not any1 else for missing my own airbag.. so yeah
dont mind bout me.

Stephen 06-08-2006 12:50 AM

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine. Myself? I have a 87, and want to update the steering to an airbag.

Still might, but it's a LOT of work. Not just swapping wheels, and mounting sensors like I thought it would be.

sogabe 06-08-2006 05:26 PM

only if it was easy to do.. yeah i'd put airbag all the way around my car,
but its not easy.. so yeah, good luck to you :)

Stephen 06-08-2006 06:55 PM

Oh, it's entirely possible to do. Just requires removing 90% of the dash, welding in a new support bar for the steering wheel column, which weighs 27 lbs. The entire column has to be swapped.

I've found the front and rear sensors, and brain already. May just store them, and see about installing everything in the future.

fisherbody86 06-09-2006 08:27 PM

I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!! I just installed a Grant steering wheel in my 92 camaro and have fooled the air bag module into thinking that everything is working properly. Even with no air bag, the system runs its self test and the bulb flashes its normal six times when you start the car, then goes off and stays off when you are driving.

All you have to do is find the yellow connector at the base of the steering column, the one that goes to the clockspring and air bag. Cut the yellow two wire harness anywhere you like, then go to Radio Shack and buy two packages of 1 Ohm wire wound resistors. They come in packs of two, so you will have a total of 4 resistors. Take 3 of them and connect them end to end, for a total of 3 Ohms of resistance (the same as the air bag igniter in the stereing wheel). Wrap them in tape so nothing touches a ground once installed, and simply connect one end to the white wire and the other to the green wire (these are the wire colors in the yellow harness.

All you are doing is simulating the resistance of the air bag itself, and the air bag module will think it's still there.

You can thank me later.

P.S. You assume all responsibility if you crash and deleted your air bag. Don't sue me!

Stephen 06-30-2006 07:15 PM

But, if the inspector sees the lights blinking,and puts two and two together, you'll fail. Better chance of passing, if the blinking light doesn't draw his attention.

brutalform 06-30-2006 07:56 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...bag+light+bulb

PAformula 02-26-2019 09:55 AM

Re: delete air bag..?

To anyone that has done the 3 ohm resistor trick, does it matter what watt resistor you use?

sonjaab 02-26-2019 03:08 PM

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

KITT1983 03-04-2019 10:58 AM

2009 and older vehicles in Massachusetts are not required to have an airbag to pass Massachusetts state inspection. I cannot fail your vehicle per state law.