Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Old School Wood (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/376081-old-school-wood.html)

Kurt88IROC 07-10-2006 07:53 PM

Old School Wood

3 Attachment(s)
I have been trying a number of ideas for a little something for the interior trim. I added 98 Firebird leather seats which was a plus. I don't care for the fourth gen dash install. Tried the Aluminum overlays for the dash, etc. but didn't like it. Being old, I seem to always go "old school" so I tried wood. Attached are of the overlays I made from real 1/4-inch Walnut. Since most of the surfaces are flat, the only hard part was matching the shapes and cutouts. Not quite done with finish but, 90% there.

By the way, that's a Hurst Dual Gate shifter ... more "Old School" ...

White93z34 07-10-2006 07:58 PM

my dad tried something like that with my car a few years back before it was mine, i never liked it.

87CIZ 07-10-2006 08:03 PM

Definately nice craftmanship, but it just looks out of place. I think it's the black that makes it look weird. All the classic cars I've seen with woodgrain, the dash's are colored, like maroon/blue/silver stuff like that to compliment the wood. The black just takes away from it.

Shadygrady 07-10-2006 08:15 PM

I'll be damned.That looks pretty good.Not really the look i'm going for,but nice job.I havent seen anything out there i like thats made aftermarket for our interiors like that,but thats a good job.I dont like the 4th gen dash swap either so im just gonna stay stock.How long did that take?

Kurt88IROC 07-10-2006 08:25 PM

Thanks all for your replies.
Nunz, sounds your Dad and I are the same era.
87 I like the Walnut against the black.
Shady, it probably took longer than it should with some trial and error. I would say the better part of a week of evenings.

j_rod24 07-10-2006 08:51 PM

I agree... it looks pretty good.

BADNBLK 07-10-2006 08:56 PM

Looks like some nice work. Must have taken a long time to do all that. Next step is to add wood grain panelling to the side and you will have the whole package:p .

Toehead 07-10-2006 10:38 PM

I like it :)

87CIZ 07-11-2006 01:16 AM

hey doesn't matter what we like right? as long as you like it that's what counts. also maybe you can get a couple more pictures in better light? maybe that'll help too it just seems really dark in those pictures. and the wood looks really light compared to it.

also just an idea you could try like a red mahogany stain on a scrap piece of walnut i think it would look sharp.

sogabe 07-11-2006 01:45 AM

Aftermarket Auto Accessories, Grille, Wheels, Dash Kits, Car Covers, Spoilers,Wings, Steering Wheels, for Car,Truck,SUV,Motorcycles

too bad even the big company like above makes only sloppy dash kits,
urs look better to me, i'd have to agree that black do kill it though.

u'd probably do an aftermarket steering wheel that has brown woodish looking grip, with chrome center and it will look nice IMO.

MavViper 07-11-2006 02:05 AM

I saw a 85 RS I think in a pick-a-part near me with woodgrain interior like that. I was half tempted to pull it out just to see how it would look. It looked pretty decent in the RS and that had a gray interior.

gcgarner 07-11-2006 09:50 AM

I'm impressed with your work.

Looks like an early-mid 80's Oldsmobile dash to me. It looks good, if that's the look you're going for. I personally (being new school) like my black and gray plastic in my T/A, but I think you did a good job.

Kurt88IROC 07-11-2006 07:59 PM

Early 80s Olds? You might be right! Maybe even a 70s vintage complete with hurst Dual Gate...

I'll try better lighting for the wood and also the old aluminum overlays just for yucks when i get a chance with the camera.

Thanks all for the comments. Super Chevy show in NH in a couple of weeks.

Fbody891 07-11-2006 09:44 PM

i think its preaty nice lookin, great work

sogabe 07-12-2006 01:30 AM

get a brown woodish looking steering wheel,
i swear it'll spice it up!

thepoz89 07-12-2006 02:28 AM

That looks nice. I would put a wood grain steering wheel on and leave the black. I think black and wood look fine together. Just an idea, try fabricating wood armrests. take the plastic/rubber ones off and make them out of wood if it is possible. I think the console looks better than factory for camaros. Nice craftmanship!
POZ:nod:

Kurt88IROC 07-12-2006 11:02 AM

Wood steering wheel is definately a good idea, I will be on the hunt for one.

Wood arm rests, interesting idea, didn't think of that, I'll give it some thought. I had been thinking of swapping the existing gray arm rests for black ones to contrast the gray fabric of the door panels.

I am also playing with a way to get some wood on the doors around the door handles, power lock plates. Any ideas?

91sleeperRS 07-13-2006 06:21 PM

that looks good!

Kurt88IROC 08-08-2006 10:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I brought this back to show the wood steering wheel added as suggested and to show the aluminum overlay parts I replaced. anyone want to buy the overlay parts?

Zrated83 08-08-2006 10:44 PM

That looks nice :goodjob: How did you do the steering wheel? I sent you a pm about the aluminum overlays.

Kurt88IROC 08-09-2006 08:26 AM

Thanks. The steering wheel is a Grant wheel purchased from Summit.

I sent you a reply to your PM.

Guss_B 08-14-2006 09:48 AM

Looks better than the wood on my 84 Z28, which I think was a dealer installed option
84Z speedo picture - Webshots

Chris's 85z 08-14-2006 10:43 AM

Looks very nice good job!:thumbsup:

UFO 08-14-2006 12:07 PM

wow... very impressive! i think it might look a lot better with about 5 or 6 coats of polyurethane on it. give it a little shine, like a lincoln or rolls royce woodgrain. looks good though... kudos to you! :)

quaker 10-10-2006 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt88IROC (Post 2973669)
I have been trying a number of ideas for a little something for the interior trim. I added 98 Firebird leather seats which was a plus. I don't care for the fourth gen dash install. Tried the Aluminum overlays for the dash, etc. but didn't like it. Being old, I seem to always go "old school" so I tried wood. Attached are of the overlays I made from real 1/4-inch Walnut. Since most of the surfaces are flat, the only hard part was matching the shapes and cutouts. Not quite done with finish but, 90% there.

By the way, that's a Hurst Dual Gate shifter ... more "Old School" ...

Looks good,nice to see something different. Probbably nicer than the old dealer installed wood from back then.

vorgath 11-10-2006 01:07 AM

OK, to make it look real good, like real expensive cars used to have it installed, here's what they did.

1) Dash can very well be black

2) A lot of the interiior would be tan, sharp contrast with black seat belts, black dash etc.

3) The wood would actually be cherry

4) And finally, chrome trim rings around gauges etc etc

86NiteRider 11-13-2006 01:02 AM

I like it. Not the look I am going for but it reminds me of my '69 Camaro Pace Car interior.

One thing. Put the dash Panel logo in the right corner. You know RS 25th Anniversary or whatever was there at first. This will also give it a factory install look.

Nice work

TheScaryOne 11-14-2006 01:07 AM

Very hot. If I wasn't going for that straight stock look, I might consider something like this. The Chrome Trim Rings around the gauges would look great, and I believe that pedals are universal fit from 1st 2nd and 3rd gen camaros, just depending on how the gas pedal is mounted, and I saw in.... Classic Industries I think... chrome trimmed pedals. Although if you do go with that, you might wanna replace your carpet. It looks a wee bit worn from the picture. Other than that, super job.

IceBlue91z28 11-14-2006 06:46 PM

looks awesome