Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   BIG BIG BIG problem. need mucho Help with rear latch (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/382400-big-big-big-problem.html)

Elephantismo 08-13-2006 09:01 PM

BIG BIG BIG problem. need mucho Help with rear latch

Ok. Its stuck closed. the key did nothing it turned but it never opened the hatch even when it worked electronically. The solenoid clicks but it does not open. I dont ahve a lock in the hole any more... drilled it out thinkin id find a flat blade socket to turn or something. I cant get to the plastic cover very well from the inside cause it has to big retarded speakers in the way.

I think my best bet is to try to actuate the solenoid the way the key normally does. Also, i heard about some kind of interior emergency release. WHere is the button normally located? This was a DPS car and i dont think it had the electronic truck release from the factory. The only button i have found for it is the one on my car alarm remote. I have puch and pulled and wiggle and bump the trunk lid in every way i can think. Someone PLEASE help me!

Bull 08-13-2006 09:18 PM

To release the latch manually there is no emergency button. You have to crawl over the rear seat and reach into the back of the car. Remove the large plastic trim panel around the latch so the mechanism is exposed, then you can release it manually by working it by hand.

Just did this last week.

Elephantismo 08-13-2006 09:25 PM

hmmm ill have ot see what i can do about that panel. I have a big subwoofer box taht goes almost all the way up to the hatch.

No luck getting that panel off. Too much speaker box in the way. I can get to see some of the latch but thats about it. some one PLEASE help me here. My latch seems to be stuck closed for eternity.

Elephantismo 08-13-2006 11:38 PM

If any one knows how to actuate the latch from the rear key hole with the lock removed or from the inside with the wiring please let me know. I thought about juicing the latch manually but i dont know where the heck the wires or what color they are. I'm getting so damn frustrated with this thing its rediculous.

1986BANDIT 06-23-2018 07:56 PM

Re: BIG BIG BIG problem. need mucho Help with rear latch

you need to pull out your speaker box from inside the car,remove the panel and do what was suggested,there's no other way.dont mess thith the key on the outside as you will just futz things up and have to replace it as well as the other parts in the latch.

Elephantismo 06-23-2018 08:02 PM

Lol! 12 years later.

i got in by drilling a couple holes in the plastic panel. I was able to access the center of the latcg where there is a slot. Inserting a priper size flat blade screw driver allowed me to turn the latch where the key interface would go.

With the hatch down, the speaker box with two 12" woofers cannot be removed.

1986BANDIT 06-23-2018 08:03 PM

i really have to start looking at these dates damned it,i guess you figured it out,ehh?

Elephantismo 06-23-2018 08:05 PM

I should have said THANK YOU first for offering help! Thank you!

1986BANDIT 06-23-2018 08:06 PM

no problem,do you still have your car>?

Elephantismo 04-11-2019 05:44 PM

I do still have it!

It's a work in progress right now.

I have the interior gutted. Patching rust on the roof from where the light bar was installed (ex DPS car).

Progress is slow. My plan is to finish it up and sell it. Hopefully I can get there one day. I have a lot of new parts already installed and and lots of upgrades waiting to go in.

Just need the time and motivation.

jharrison5 04-14-2019 10:28 PM

I love it when dead threads are brought back to life!

jworks 05-16-2019 08:43 AM

most of the time zombie threads are just annoying, but at least he offered a resolution to the problem, and he still has the car.