Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   How do you adjust the t-top's (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/570180-how-do-you-adjust.html)

Psycho139 04-27-2010 09:37 AM

How do you adjust the t-top's

Hey guys and gals I am the new owner of an 85 Iroc-z. Just picked up the car yesterday and it was raining. Well short and simple I swam home. the previous owner said the weather striping on the body of the car was new and the T's just needed to be adjusted. Do i need to adjust them or is their supposed to be weather striping on the glass too. And if they need adjustment how do i do it. I tried the search feature and couldn't find what i wanted. please help. Also will be putting up more pics of the car soon. :help:

mechanic1992 04-27-2010 06:11 PM

Re: How do you adjust the t-top's

I dont believe there are any adjustments for t-tops. There is only weather stripping on the body where they sit, and just some on the outer edge of the tops where the latch assembly is. You might try taking apart the t-top, its easy, and tighting the latch assembly. Idk how well itll work though

Chevy86 IROC-Z 04-27-2010 06:59 PM

i believe you got the shaft my man. I own a 86 IROC-Z T-Top. And I'd hate to burst your bubble but there is absolutely no way to adjust your t-tops. If the t-top weather strip is indeed new, then you may have a far worst problem, if you got a small leak, or heavy leak. The smallest issue would be that the weather strip was installed "dry"' as in no weather strip adhesive to create a water tight seal. Now the worst case senario would be that there is rust in between the weather strip and the body. I would advise you that it is a bad idea to try to peel the weather strip to visually see if there is rust because there is a high possibility of tearing the expensive material. If you really need to fix the leak, then you may need to perform a ghetto fix. You'll need a tube of clear water proof or resistant silicone caulking and a caulking gun. Remove the t-tops. Get a can of Dust Off (Computer cleaning compressed gas) and gently pull back the weather with your fingers. Now blast all area's that meet (stripping and metal body). Then get a moist rag, not the blue paper shop towels, and remove as much dirt and grime from the area. Your goal in doing this is to make a clean as possible area so that the caulking can do its job, making a water tight seal. Now begin to apply caulking along the outer border BUT, inside the strip. Dont apply to much caulking because once you let go of the weather strip, itll fall back to it original form and itll squeeze out the caulking. Apply a decent sized bead all around the top side of the t-top weather strip area. Allow the recommended amount of time for the caulking to dry before you put the tops back on.:thumbsup: Did this make sense?:huh:

bcfipp 04-27-2010 07:34 PM

If you look where the t tops lock into the car. Take the plastic pillar off. There will be 2 nuts and u can adjust the height by loosening them up. I have a 91 with t tops and I was able to adjust them

Psycho139 04-27-2010 07:49 PM

Thanks guy's i found where to adjust it. It's on the t-tops you have to take off the Plastic shroud. On each end you have 2 screws that hold the plates that the rod goes threw. loosen the 2 screws on both side and to make the seal tighter move the plates closer to the window to loosen move away from the window. just make sure you don't go to tight then the top will be lower then the roof line.

Psycho139 04-27-2010 07:53 PM

It makes sence and no you didn't burst my bubble lol. But i did find how to adjust might be the same for you're 86 hopefully i hate ghetto fixes if it ain't right i didn't do it. lol

Scorpner 04-27-2010 08:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The receptacles on each end that the pins go into are adjustable too.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...1&d=1272416822
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...2&d=1272416822

Also, if the weatherstripping isn't installed correctly they can leak as well. You can locate the leaks with a hose from the outside.

Chevy86 IROC-Z 04-27-2010 11:01 PM

:eek:OOpppsss. Sorry man. I never have taken off the piller. I didnt even know that our t-tops where adjustable. Ive disasembled my t-tops glass over and over agian, but never on the Camaro's body. Lesson learned. Now that I know, Im going to adjust the height on my passengerside. Sorry if I miss lead you man. I have a small leak and I noted how my buddy fixed his leak. Here where I live, rains like once a year so I never worry about any leaks. Peace.

Psycho139 04-28-2010 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z (Post 4525361)
:eek:OOpppsss. Sorry man. I never have taken off the piller. I didnt even know that our t-tops where adjustable. Ive disasembled my t-tops glass over and over agian, but never on the Camaro's body. Lesson learned. Now that I know, Im going to adjust the height on my passengerside. Sorry if I miss lead you man. I have a small leak and I noted how my buddy fixed his leak. Here where I live, rains like once a year so I never worry about any leaks. Peace.

No biggie were all here to help and learn. I know i am.

Psycho139 04-28-2010 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpner (Post 4525047)
The receptacles on each end that the pins go into are adjustable too.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...1&d=1272416822
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...2&d=1272416822

Also, if the weatherstripping isn't installed correctly they can leak as well. You can locate the leaks with a hose from the outside.

I have to take pic's of mine i didn't see that. only place i found to adjust was on the top. good pic's though thanks. I am going to need parts for my tops as well as find the right ones. i noticed the two were differnt and some plastics missing. Well not worried it's just money (god i hate my ex):doh:

Scorpner 04-28-2010 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Psycho139 (Post 4525600)

Exactly what I was thinking too.

Scorpner 04-28-2010 10:59 AM

Yeah, post them up if it's convenient. That's about the only thing I haven't taken apart yet. :lol:

Post up what parts you need too, who knows someone might have them or can get them for you.

Psycho139 04-28-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpner (Post 4525815)
Yeah, post them up if it's convenient. That's about the only thing I haven't taken apart yet. :lol:

Post up what parts you need too, who knows someone might have them or can get them for you.

Yeah i will post up the missing parts also not in a rush for that except 1 piece on the passenger side.

Pic's should be up Saturday started working a 2nd job towing not like the first 8 aren't enough pain but need the money.

Psycho139 04-29-2010 08:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok here are some pic's i took of how i adjusted the t-tops on my 85 Iroc.

Here is the adjustment points.

Attachment 414039

Attachment 414040

This is the only place i have to adjust others have posted their adjustment points on here. but as my pic's of my 85 show not the same here are pic's of the body connection points.

Attachment 414041

Attachment 414042

Attachment 414043

Now would there be different setups for the same year car? I know maybe from Camero to Firebird there could be but same year Camero???

Well in any case here is more info for members to look at to help adjust their type of Top.

Will be posting a Wanted topic in classified section for T-Top parts please check it out if you have any extra parts.

Scorpner 04-29-2010 01:06 PM

Huh, it looks like yours is missing the retainers or something. I've never seen a difference between makes when I've come across them in the yards.

The adjustments on the T-tops looks pretty straight forward. Thanks for posting the pics. :thumbsup:

Psycho139 04-29-2010 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scorpner (Post 4527275)
Huh, it looks like yours is missing the retainers or something. I've never seen a difference between makes when I've come across them in the yards.

The adjustments on the T-tops looks pretty straight forward. Thanks for posting the pics. :thumbsup:

The last pic where i am holding the plastic piece in my hand is the only thin on the body that holds the Tops down. After seeing the other pics and doing some research on the web i came up with no answer. I'm baffled. but at least my tops don't leak anymore.

89ROC-Z 04-29-2010 02:29 PM

i've seen that type of an a piller in a yard before. are you sure you don't have C and C t tops?

Chevy86 IROC-Z 04-29-2010 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Psycho139 (Post 4525600)

I agree, I prefer 2Pac over Biggie.:lol: Just kidding around. Thanks man. I otta investigate before I suggest or give false info. I appologize to the board. :totopic: shall we.

Psycho139 04-29-2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z (Post 4527403)
i've seen that type of an a piller in a yard before. are you sure you don't have C and C t tops?

OK here is where my Camero ignorance kicks in.. What are C and C T-tops?:huh::confused:

t-top havoc 04-29-2010 10:46 PM

Scorpner,

Do the body- mounted- guides have part # specific mount locations?
Or can they be mounted in either location?
Ours got tossed in a box when we got the Camaro painted, & I just put them in not knowing if each goes to a specific place.

Psyco-
I think the C & C t-tops are smaller than factory t-tops.
Measure your tops. I don't recall where I read it, I believe it was on a thread awhile back. The discussion came up about the differences.
I've never seen C & C, but IMHO, I agree it looks like you're missing the guides Scorpner posted pics of.

Psycho

Scorpner 04-30-2010 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by t-top havoc (Post 4528043)
Scorpner,

Do the body- mounted- guides have part # specific mount locations?
Or can they be mounted in either location?
Ours got tossed in a box when we got the Camaro painted, & I just put them in not knowing if each goes to a specific place.

I'd like to be able to tell you, the ones pictured came off of a parts car so I'm in the same boat you are as far as knowing. Check each side to see if there's any differences between them.

Psycho139 04-30-2010 08:01 AM

Yeah i will measure them tomorrow there is a lot of space between the glass and the roof. I'm trying to find a body shop manual for my 85 with exploded views but no luck. I don't see anywhere to mount guides like that on my pillars at all. There should be no difference between theses cars right? I am wondering if they made them different for different countries? My old Geo Storm Gsi was actually made for Canada and some things were different depending where they were made.

:doh:

Psycho139 04-30-2010 01:29 PM

According to John in RI C&C is Cars and Concepts aftermarket conversion so it's going to be hard to find the trim i need :mad: :mad:. well sucks for me. Going to have to try to make a mold of them and see if i can replicate them at the shop. then I'll have to balance them out by fabing other parts. Unless i can find them.

Ok Edit

Very Big Thanks to Jonn in RI.

I did a google search that brought up an old 2001 TGO post about thes t-tops. for all that have C&C tops here is a link to the sight you can get them from as well as weather stripping and glass. And they have them in stock too. If you need parts for your C&C T-Tops call them and ask for Rick, Very nice and helpful guy.

How to tell if you have C&C T-Tops: Glass Measures 28" at center T-Bar and also if you have the lock (an option for 85 and newer Camero and Firebirds check the code on the lock and there should be a "CC" in the code.

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/

Here is the old TGO post.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/67441-cars-concepts-t-tops.html

Mods please add http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/ to the list of Aftermarket vendors so this is never a problem again...

t-top havoc 04-30-2010 02:10 PM

Thanks for the links, good luck, & keep us updated???

Psycho139 04-30-2010 02:31 PM

Here is a P.S. to my last post.
There are only two types of T-Tops for '82-'92 Models. The easiest way to quickly identify which type you have is to measure the t-top glass length where the glass fits under the center t-bar:
Factory Installed T-Tops (Fisher) = 30 1/4"
Aftermarket Installed T-Tops (Cars & Concepts) = 28"

Thanks mechanic1992 I will just hope this not only helps me but other Third Gen owners...

Chevy86 IROC-Z 04-30-2010 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Psycho139 (Post 4528586)
Here is a P.S. to my last post.

There are only two types of T-Tops for '82-'92 Models. The easiest way to quickly identify which type you have is to measure the t-top glass length where the glass fits under the center t-bar:

Factory Installed T-Tops (Fisher) = 30 1/4"

Aftermarket Installed T-Tops (Cars & Concepts) = 28"

Thanks mechanic1992 I will just hope this not only helps me but other Third Gen owners...

What!!!! :eek: Why are they 2.25" inches shorter? That doesnt make sense at all. :huh:

Slash 04-30-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z (Post 4528690)
What!!!! :eek: Why are they 2.25" inches shorter? That doesnt make sense at all. :huh:

C & C took hard top cars and turned them into T-Top cars. imma guess they didnt want to be exactly like the factory tops so they made them smaller

Psycho139 05-02-2010 06:30 PM

LOL this is too funny. All the trying to find out what top's i had wasn't too necessary. I was cleaning off all the crap tint on the top's. Guess what i found C&C stickers on the glass it's just to funny to me...

wehrlebird 05-02-2010 09:38 PM

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I can pick up a new center trim for the tops on my 86 TA? I just got the new weatherstripping and just as I suspected when I pulled the old weatherstripping off, that piece is rotted to hell.

Thanks

Chevy86 IROC-Z 05-02-2010 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by wehrlebird (Post 4531160)
Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I can pick up a new center trim for the tops on my 86 TA? I just got the new weatherstripping and just as I suspected when I pulled the old weatherstripping off, that piece is rotted to hell.

Thanks

Junkyard, or you can buy one from one of our board vendors. http://thirdgenranch.com/StoreFront.bok

Chevy86 IROC-Z 05-02-2010 11:37 PM

WOW. My 86 IROC doesnt have those 2 screws to make adjustments to them. I believe it's because my IROC is a true t-top. I cant believe that you had C & C tops. I guess that explains the screws that you t-top glass has.http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...Z/S7300053.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA 05-25-2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z (Post 4531293)
WOW. My 86 IROC doesnt have those 2 screws to make adjustments to them. I believe it's because my IROC is a true t-top. I cant believe that you had C & C tops. I guess that explains the screws that you t-top glass has.http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...Z/S7300053.jpg

I can confirm that the OP has C&C T-tops, I have them too.

You can get parts for your C&C T-tops at www.sunroofdoctor.com

I need to buy new seals, and a driver side A-pillar cover.

anarchytwist 07-11-2010 03:56 PM

there is also two type of latching systems ive be told by a few friends the pin type and i think the hook type i could be wrong on the second one

Net-Viper X 01-28-2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by anarchytwist (Post 4606726)
there is also two type of latching systems ive be told by a few friends the pin type and i think the hook type i could be wrong on the second one

I believe there are actually three types: Large pin, small pin, and hook.

Chevy86 IROC-Z 01-28-2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Net-Viper X (Post 5164630)
I believe there are actually three types: Large pin, small pin, and hook.

Incorrect. There is the hook type. But the ones with pins have small pins that are the same size. The difference in both these tops is that one top has just a small pin. The other has a small pin too, but the pin is encased in a large sleeve tha is meant to look like a large pin. Now when you engage the lever to latch the large pin top, the plastic sleeve is spring loaded. So when the pressure of the plastic meets the body cup of the car, the plastic pin sits flush agianst the cars cup while the little pin then extends out of the plastic pin and plunges deep inside the cup.

91phoenix 01-30-2012 05:10 PM

Thanks for showing the pics of the adjustment locators for the factory T Tops. That will be helping me alot soon. I swapped glass tops on from the lexan and now they need adjustment.

wcracer2 01-03-2019 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Psycho139 (Post 4527904)
OK here is where my Camero ignorance kicks in.. What are C and C T-tops?:huh::confused:

Ya Those are aftermarket T-tops , Possibly installed by dealer . Cars and Concepts is a company that makes T-tops ,Pop ups,and Power Sunroofs. I know this is old thread and probably already answered , I was here looking for the Plastic receptacles Kinda surprised they are so hard to find.