Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   T-Top glass edge material replacement (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/583469-t-top-glass-edge.html)

Chevy86 IROC-Z 08-10-2010 10:57 PM

T-Top glass edge material replacement

2 Attachment(s)
Has anyone ever replaced the composiste material that is located just above the drip rail on a t-top glass? My original t-top has this part cracked and I want to replace the chipped piece with another good piece. The problem is what kind of adhesive can I use to glue the piece to the glass?Pictures below show the piece that is chipped, and the piece that I want to take off to replace the chipped one.

t-top havoc 08-10-2010 11:12 PM

Re: T-Top glass edge material replacement

Maybe 3rdGenRanch, Hawks, dave mc, or a u-pull-it???

1AAuto is doing the dripseal weatherstrip soon, IDK if that is part of it or not.

I know it's not much, but a lead anyway!

Chevy86 IROC-Z 08-10-2010 11:30 PM

I have 2 pairs of t tops. One pair is my original small pin and the other is from a RS which have the small pin incased with a large plastic spring loaded pin.

Chevy86 IROC-Z 08-10-2010 11:32 PM

And the drip seal is one piece which is either hard plastic or flimsy rubber. But I dont care about that right now. My issue is the hard plastic/composite edge that is glued to the glass.

camaronewbie 08-11-2010 12:12 AM

Why not just use the other set of T-tops? They are interchangeable.

Chevy86 IROC-Z 08-11-2010 02:01 PM

Yes they are and I have done just that. But I noticed that the glass towards the back end pops up a lot and it doesnt create a tight seal. The gap is large enough to make a tiny howling sound while driving.

1Aauto 08-11-2010 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by t-top havoc (Post 4638149)
Maybe 3rdGenRanch, Hawks, dave mc, or a u-pull-it???

1AAuto is doing the dripseal weatherstrip soon, IDK if that is part of it or not.

I know it's not much, but a lead anyway!

We now have the rubber ones for sale.I tossed an Ad down into the vendor section for you guys.

I'm not sure who might have that other piece for you.

camaronewbie 08-11-2010 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z (Post 4638608)
Yes they are and I have done just that. But I noticed that the glass towards the back end pops up a lot and it doesnt create a tight seal. The gap is large enough to make a tiny howling sound while driving.

"O I C" said the blind man. Oh well, it was a thought.

Have you tried adjusting the pinholes on the car side? There is a tad of adjustment in there, just have to take the screw out of the pillar plastic and pull it back out of the way some, and there are 2 bolts holding the pinholes in place, you dan loosen and adjust these a tad.

Chevy86 IROC-Z 08-11-2010 03:44 PM

Im gonna try that right now. Ill be back in about 15 minutes.

Chevy86 IROC-Z 08-11-2010 04:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It worked!!!! Now all I gotta do is buy the a new dripseal for $55 a pair from our very own vendor (Thanks 1ATony :thumbsup:).

camaronewbie 08-11-2010 05:30 PM

Cool. I'm glad it did, and happy to see the pic - I can point others to it - many folks don't know they are adjustable. And actually I forgot how much adjustment there really is in there.

Let me (and the rest of us) know how Tony's drip seals work out. I need to get a pair myself, but at the moment cash is too tight so Santa is gonna need to know about them!

Chevy86 IROC-Z 08-11-2010 06:57 PM

Im low on cash too bro. But Im trying to sell my old college books. As soon as I get the money and make a purchase, I'll take pictures when I get the strips but Im not even sure when I'll get em. But Ill will post them up when I buy them.

1Aauto 08-12-2010 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z (Post 4638798)
It worked!!!! Now all I gotta do is buy the a new dripseal for $55 a pair from our very own vendor (Thanks 1ATony :thumbsup:).

No problem guys. ;)

da.slyboy 08-12-2010 11:05 AM

Also to help answer the posters original question.....no company (that I'm aware off) make the piece you are referring to. The only replacement is a different set of t-tops

Chevy86 IROC-Z 08-12-2010 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by camaronewbie (Post 4638846)
Cool. I'm glad it did, and happy to see the pic - I can point others to it - many folks don't know they are adjustable. And actually I forgot how much adjustment there really is in there.

Let me (and the rest of us) know how Tony's drip seals work out. I need to get a pair myself, but at the moment cash is too tight so Santa is gonna need to know about them!

Yup. I heard that they where adjustable but I didnt know that the can be so much room for play. I do see that there is one drawback of this type of adjustment piece though. You can only penetrate the plastic piece with a new hole so many times before the piece is bad. Im gonna hit the junkyard to find more of these pieces just incase.

Chevy86 IROC-Z 08-12-2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by da.slyboy (Post 4639503)
Also to help answer the posters original question.....no company (that I'm aware off) make the piece you are referring to. The only replacement is a different set of t-tops

to reply to this reply, Im not looking for a new replacement part to buy. My chief question was what kind of glue can I use to glue down the trim that broke off the edge of the T-Top glass. I already have 2 complete sets. Im thinking of buying just one driverside from the jumkyard so that I can remove the trim (from the broken t-top glass) and replace the cracked trim with a used trim.

Chevy86 IROC-Z 08-11-2011 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FINALLY!!!! I just recieved my brand new hard plastic Drip Edge Weather Strip. I bought it for only $54.95 on Ebay. Cant wait to install it later.