Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Window WOBBLE (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/660685-window-wobble.html)

N_da_Mood 08-26-2012 12:55 AM

Window WOBBLE

I finally decided to take my door panels off the adjust the window height and try to fix the wobble.. Needless to say the PO decided to take the window stops completely out... I have bought new ones but my window has alot of side to side wobble to it, does anyone know how to adjust this?, also does anyone know of a good procedure for cleaning and greasing the window tracks? Thanks

InfernalVortex 08-26-2012 07:24 AM

Re: Window WOBBLE

I have no idea, but you've got a beautiful car.

N_da_Mood 08-26-2012 05:22 PM

Haha thanks man its not perfect thats why I am working on the doors, yours looks pretty good yourself.

sonjaab 08-26-2012 07:57 PM

You prob. need to adjust your window felt covered guides to cure your sideto side window wobble. Or they could be missing.This is what they look like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-02-Camaro...sories&vxp=mtr

N_da_Mood 08-26-2012 07:59 PM

Thats what I was thinking but there are still there, are there any other adjustments that control the side to side?

WickedCrazy 08-26-2012 08:02 PM

The vertical track on the side closest to the b pillar is what controls the side to side. Mine was pretty banged up and loose. Replaced it and it tightened it up a lot.

sonjaab 08-26-2012 08:04 PM

You prob. need to adjust your window felt covered guides to cure your sideto side window wobble. Or they could be missing.This is what they look like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-02-Camaro...ies&vxp=mtrThe best way to clean the window tracks is with something likewd-40, mineral spirits, etc. That stuff has a low flash point and willcut the heavy grease build up.Clean out the tracks and relube with red grease, white lithium greaseor sililar.

N_da_Mood 08-26-2012 08:05 PM

is there any way to just tighten it up? Do you know the name for it?

N_da_Mood 08-26-2012 08:07 PM

alright ill clean them like that thanks!!

sonjaab 08-26-2012 08:26 PM

YES..................They are called window guides. They are felt covered so they won't scratch the glass. There is a slot cut in them and a bolt goes thru the slot and is secured to the door frame. You loosen the bolt and move them in or out so they ride against the window and hold it against the door panel and weatherstrip so it won't wobble side to side. Take off the door panel and see if they are still there or the felt is worn off and adjust them (the old trial and error method works best).

N_da_Mood 08-26-2012 08:29 PM

sorry I was actually asking if you could adjust the tracks that wickedcrazy was talking about, but the tip about the red grease was very helful

sonjaab 08-26-2012 08:50 PM

Before you go screwing with the window tracks adjust the guides first!Remember the window is NOT perfectly square and parts of the glass (the curve) does not always fully ride in the window channel !The window felt guides hold the window in place (side by side) when the window is lowered into the door..........................The window tracks hold the window front to back................

N_da_Mood 08-26-2012 08:57 PM

Alright, I will try that but It looks like if i push them in anymore the window will be to far outward

micktroup2 08-27-2012 04:38 PM

These doors are like a damn Rubix cube until you get the hang of them. Two places that might cause you problems: 1) the front vertical track that the front edge of the glass slides in are made of some cheap tin material that tends to open up over time- see if that has spread and is allowing the window to 'slop' from side to side at the front.
2) the rear vertical track: This takes a roller that is attached to a stud that sticks out of the rear window glass frame. You can have two issues with this stud. a) the stud itself is loose, causing the window to move in and out or b) the roller is broken, loose or missing ENTIRELY. Check these areas and let me know. If that rear roller in particular is the problem, no amount of pinching the glass between the two inner felts and the outer sweep will stop the glass from feeing loose.

N_da_Mood 08-27-2012 04:41 PM

Alright that sounds amazing and very helpful I will definitely look and see which it is! Thanks!

micktroup2 08-27-2012 04:45 PM

No worries pal- we all help each other here. My Z28 is the second 3rd gen I have owned and I have been tracking down door rattles and quality control issues for 7 years on these things LOL!!
My first inclination is that rear roller though- I have seen a ton of those that have been the culprit. Beautiful car, by the way...

N_da_Mood 08-27-2012 04:49 PM

The doors are the only thing that drive me crazy, the drivers door has a wobbly window and the passengers just rattles when I drive but not when the window is up? Thanks its not perfect but the guy that owned it before didnt do much I am trying to fix it up.

N_da_Mood 09-04-2012 02:37 PM

Finally got the problem fixed it looks like the problem was just the window stops that were taken out needed a new set. This got rid of all of the play in the window! Thanks for everyones help!!