Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   One man door pin replacement? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/702658-one-man-door-pin.html)

WTR388 05-26-2014 01:15 PM

One man door pin replacement?

Any tricks for doing this without help and normal shop tools?
I have my passenger side fender off, so I figure maybe I can do it one hinge at a time with the door closed?

My other option is to make an A-frame of 2.4 to straddle the door, use some ratchest straps to support the door open and then do the repair.

TBRays98 05-26-2014 02:39 PM

Re: One man door pin replacement?

I did mine last week.

The lower door pin you can remove easily, the only special tool youll need is a spring compressor. Theyre about $15 at any parts store. Should be able to this hinge with just the fender off.

The upper hinge is a PITA. I pulled the door off and grinded off the outer rivets on each side. It takes some time. This hinge I would recommend taking the door off. Unless you are very skilled with a grinder.

WTR388 05-26-2014 03:45 PM

Thanks.
I bought the spring tool months ago knowing I was going to need to do this... But now I'm in a time crunch to get it ready for paint, and would rather do this before I paint it.

I have a die grinder, I'll see if I have the room to get in there.

redneckjoe 05-26-2014 05:19 PM

i used a floor jack with a 2x4 between the jack and the bottom of the door to support it while the pin was out.

lonsal 06-07-2014 11:52 PM

Some people do the repair of the upper pins by removing the door. This requires unwiring the door electrics (PDL & PW) which I consider a PITA. I do use a special door hanging tool and some other custom tools I've fabricated. However it is possible to use some common tools instead that most people have in their garage.

One method to support the opened door while doing the task is to place a floor jack under the door with a towel on the jack saddle. Next you can take a ladder and put the A of the ladder over the end of the door. Stuff the gap between the ladder and the door with towels. This will support the door so it doesn't tip over.

You can also use a nylon strap around the door and lift the strap with either an engine lift jack (aka cherry picker) or wrap a chain lift or come-a-long around a garage rafter.

By all means use a door spring tool remover. I don't recommend prying the door spring out without the tool.

You should remove the inner door panel to remove the one silly hidden screw which holds the large triangular-shaped end of the weather stripping in place. There is a trick I'll share that makes removing the inner door panel much easier. Use either the special tool, putty knife or flat-blade screwdriver to pop all the christmas trees that hold the panel. Remove all the screws being careful to make sure that you remove only the real screws and leave the fake ones alone. Here's the trick, pull put the bottom of the panel and lift on it slightly. At the same time push the panel to either the front of the rear. This will free the top of the panel from the door.

Lon