Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Are There Any Front Fender Differences On 82-92 Camaros? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/711743-there-any-front-fender.html)

Bohemian 11-24-2014 12:12 PM

Are There Any Front Fender Differences On 82-92 Camaros?

It is my understanding that all 82-92 front fenders for Camaros are the same is that not the case?

Are there any style, shape or mounting differences, etc., for any particular year or years on the third generation Camaros?

Thanks in advance.

92RS_Ttop 11-24-2014 12:20 PM

Re: Are There Any Front Fender Differences On 82-92 Camaros?

Not that I am aware of. I'm running fenders from an 89 and an 85 on my 92 camaro now and haven't noticed anything.

camaroyoungster 11-24-2014 08:29 PM

The only difference between fenders would be GFX vs no GFX where the GFX fenders have the holes for mounting.

redneckjoe 11-25-2014 10:22 AM

i have seen differences where the bottom rear of the fender bracket bolts up. i had to make some brackets last time i changed fenders. but thats the only other difference i've seen.

WhiteBlaze 11-25-2014 05:46 PM

82 - 90 Trans Ams also have the holes for the fender vents.

Bohemian 12-09-2014 09:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
See four attachments...

The fender marked ORG is the one off of my 1989 Camaro RS Convertible, has a GM Factory sticker number on it on the inside that matches the VIN number on my car...

The one next to it is also a GM 82-92 Camaro Fender with a GM Factory sticker on the inside matching the VIN off the third gen it came off of...

IF the differences are not self-evident to all, they are profoundly physically different and are absolutely NOT INTERCHANGEABLE...

The area that is at the bottom of the fender that sits in front of the door for example is stamped or shaped dramatically different by a factor of inches...

The donor fender will not even mount onto my 1989 RS ...

The donor fender is off a 1985 T-Top Camaro...

I can find no factory documentation of these physical differences that are absolutely, positively NOT INTERCHANGEABLE...

I would really like to know what the actual interchange years for front fenders on 82-92 Camaro's IS...

As third gen fenders in Las Vegas, Nevada are currently few and far between and I am going to have to reach out of state for another pair...

Thanks in advance.

86blackiroc 12-10-2014 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bohemian (Post 5852067)
See four attachments...

The fender marked ORG is the one off of my 1989 Camaro RS Convertible, has a GM Factory sticker number on it on the inside that matches the VIN number on my car...

The one next to it is also a GM 82-92 Camaro Fender with a GM Factory sticker on the inside matching the VIN off the third gen it came off of...

IF the differences are not self-evident to all, they are profoundly physically different and are absolutely NOT INTERCHANGEABLE...

The area that is at the bottom of the fender that sits in front of the door for example is stamped or shaped dramatically different by a factor of inches...

The donor fender will not even mount onto my 1989 RS ...

The donor fender is off a 1985 T-Top Camaro...

I can find no factory documentation of these physical differences that are absolutely, positively NOT INTERCHANGEABLE...

I would really like to know what the actual interchange years for front fenders on 82-92 Camaro's IS...

As third gen fenders in Las Vegas, Nevada are currently few and far between and I am going to have to reach out of state for another pair...

Thanks in advance.

Your '89 fender is different because it's from a convertible. I've never seen the lower fender of a convertible in person before, so I can't say if they were modified or a different stamping altogether. Perhaps you can tell me or show another picture?

But besides that, coupe fenders were the same. '91-'92 had slots at the front where the chin spoiler mounts, earlier years were just basic mounting holes.

Bohemian 12-10-2014 09:57 PM

FWIW it looks like HawksThirdGenParts

Lists at least three different fenders for 82-92 Camaros...

1. 82-90 Fenders
  2. 87-92 Convertible Fenders
  3. 91-92 Fenders
They do not appear to go into detail about what the differences are other than a vague reference to Convertible fenders being cut different...

As my pictures I uploaded clearly depict mine are definitely stamped different. In addition, you can not physically bolt up the other donor fenders I have tried on my car.

My understanding has always been that all the third gen convertibles started out life as coupes and GM had them made into convertibles by ASC Incorporated.

Be interesting to get this ferreted out.

86blackiroc 12-11-2014 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bohemian (Post 5852450)
FWIW it looks like HawksThirdGenParts

Lists at least three different fenders for 82-92 Camaros...

1. 82-90 Fenders
  2. 87-92 Convertible Fenders
  3. 91-92 Fenders
They do not appear to go into detail about what the differences are other than a vague reference to Convertible fenders being cut different...

As my pictures I uploaded clearly depict mine are definitely stamped different. In addition, you can not physically bolt up the other donor fenders I have tried on my car.

My understanding has always been that all the third gen convertibles started out life as coupes and GM had them made into convertibles by ASC Incorporated.

Be interesting to get this ferreted out.

The specific '91-'92 fenders just have the chin spoiler mounting slots already stamped into them.

The regular coupe fenders don't fit because your vert has the stiffening rails along the rocker panels. And yes, they were modified by ASC for GM. That's why I've always wondered if ASC modified the lower fenders or if GM supplied them with differently stamped fenders.

hassgrant 08-24-2022 07:51 AM

Not sure what happens with "Post Quick Reply", so I apologize in advance for asking the same thing twice.

Basically I need to know if I can use fenders without the lower spoiler cut outs and just make my own cut outs. The fenders with the cut outs are getting harder to come across - the passenger more so than the driver. Fenders without cut outs seem to be easier to get and cheaper.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

86blackiroc 08-27-2022 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by hassgrant (Post 6476773)
Not sure what happens with "Post Quick Reply", so I apologize in advance for asking the same thing twice.

Basically I need to know if I can use fenders without the lower spoiler cut outs and just make my own cut outs. The fenders with the cut outs are getting harder to come across - the passenger more so than the driver. Fenders without cut outs seem to be easier to get and cheaper.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Yes, you sure can. For the slots, just drill a hole at each end and connect them with two slices from a cut-off wheel. Violla, factory-appearing slots.

hassgrant 08-27-2022 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 86blackiroc (Post 6477131)
Yes, you sure can. For the slots, just drill a hole at each end and connect them with two slices from a cut-off wheel. Violla, factory-appearing slots.

That is what I was thinking! Thanks.