Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Cracked Windshield Replacement (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/758212-cracked-windshield-replacement.html)

3gencam 01-01-2019 03:43 PM

Cracked Windshield Replacement

A large tree limb fell on my 84 Camaro years ago leaving a large crack in the front windshield. I'd like to have the windshield replaced but had a few questions before proceeding:
Is the windshield part number the same for all 1982 - 1992 Camaros and Firebirds?
Is it better to buy a new windshield instead of looking for used one in stock at a junkyard? I found out I can buy a new one for $80 and for $145 that includes installation. These new windshields are made in China. Will these new windshields fit correctly? Are they identical in size to the original ones? I ask because I've always heard re-popped body parts from China (quarter panels, doors, hoods, etc.) are made a little bit different in size than OEM parts to avoid being sued by the original car manufacturer for copywrite violations. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Drew 01-01-2019 04:55 PM

Re: Cracked Windshield Replacement

Auto glass needs to meet certain standards. If you're worried about it, get a windshield installed by a reputable provider. But I wouldn't worry about it.

Used isn't worth the trouble. Between delamination, fading, scratches, and chips, better to just buy a new one and be able to see.

GEN Xer 01-01-2019 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 3gencam (Post 6271688)
A large tree limb fell on my 84 Camaro years ago leaving a large crack in the front windshield. I'd like to have the windshield replaced but had a few questions before proceeding:
Is the windshield part number the same for all 1982 - 1992 Camaros and Firebirds?
Is it better to buy a new windshield instead of looking for used one in stock at a junkyard? I found out I can buy a new one for $80 and for $145 that includes installation. These new windshields are made in China. Will these new windshields fit correctly? Are they identical in size to the original ones? I ask because I've always heard re-popped body parts from China (quarter panels, doors, hoods, etc.) are made a little bit different in size than OEM parts to avoid being sued by the original car manufacturer for copywrite violations. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Just wondering where you found a new window for that price? I was quoted 240 by safelite.

Abubaca 01-01-2019 07:46 PM

Safelite did mine about a year ago. $240 sounds about right, although I can't remember exactly. They did nice work.

GEN Xer 01-01-2019 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca (Post 6271743)
Safelite did mine about a year ago. $240 sounds about right, although I can't remember exactly. They did nice work.

Thanks- How close to stock was the rubber bead that goes around the outside?

3gencam 01-01-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6271704)
Auto glass needs to meet certain standards. If you're worried about it, get a windshield installed by a reputable provider. But I wouldn't worry about it.

Used isn't worth the trouble. Between delamination, fading, scratches, and chips, better to just buy a new one and be able to see.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Abubaca 01-01-2019 08:41 PM

Thanks- How close to stock was the rubber bead that goes around the outside?
It was a good bit thicker. Just measured, -5/8" thick. LOOKS great. Pure black, and still soft. ....but, I do think it's thicker than it was in stock form.

3gencam 01-01-2019 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by GEN Xer (Post 6271710)
Just wondering where you found a new window for that price? I was quoted 240 by safelite.

PM me and I'll get you the scoop.

navy02ws6 01-02-2019 03:14 PM

Safelite did mine on the '91 Camaro about a month ago...$350! I thought that was ridiculously expensive, but I wasn't paying for it. Had them do the windshield on my '02 T/A about 8 years ago, was over $100 less, and that windshield was massive in comparison.

I'd be surprised if any of the major auto glass installers would even install used glass for warranty reasons alone.

3rdgenzroc 01-03-2019 02:25 AM

If it's insured, check your coverage. Most insurance agencies have a set price for replacements and your deductible could be anywhere from 100 bucks to nothing out of pocket, and it doesn't affect your rate for that type of claim in most instances.

dagwood 01-03-2019 07:36 AM

I had Safelite replace mine.....$225 I think. They reused my factory black trim. Looks absolutely perfect.

3gencam 01-03-2019 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by dagwood (Post 6271973)
I had Safelite replace mine.....$225 I think. They reused my factory black trim. Looks absolutely perfect.

I am glad to hear they were able to reuse the original factory black trim. Did it take them long to install the new windshield and how long ago was the job done?

dagwood 01-03-2019 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by 3gencam (Post 6272005)
I am glad to hear they were able to reuse the original factory black trim. Did it take them long to install the new windshield and how long ago was the job done?

They did it about 11 months ago. It didnt take them long at all to replace it. They used my factory trim, but it's also a 20k mile garage queen, so the rubber was still about as soft as it probably was when new

vinny R 01-03-2019 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by dagwood (Post 6272011)
They did it about 11 months ago. It didnt take them long at all to replace it. They used my factory trim, but it's also a 20k mile garage queen, so the rubber was still about as soft as it probably was when new

I had mine done about a year ago by a local,l but very reputable, glass shop. They charged me $150 installed. He came to my work and did it in about 1.5 hrs. They did have to use new trim which is slightly wider than original. Not sure if it was a China special but it fit perfect and looks fantastic trim and all! I think that from the other answers here you should be safe with any replacement windshield. I think I would shop prices in your area.

Drew 01-03-2019 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by vinny R (Post 6272015)
I think I would shop prices in your area.

I think that's the key. I called probably a dozen places when I needed a windshield in my 86 T/A, prices were all over the map. Helps sometimes to tell them that you're looking for a cash price and that it's not being handled by insurance. Seems some places are less likely to overcharge an individual than an insurance provider.

beths91camaro 01-03-2019 05:29 PM

Last 3 windshields we had done were $150- our cost, no insurance involved.

the_assman 01-08-2019 07:38 AM

even if you go with safelite request a ppg or pilkington glass , pilkington was formally libby owens ford. both ppg and lof were oem for our cars back in the day. they shouldn't charge you a premium and the quality is better. they would just prefer to use one of their windshields as it's much more profitable for them. the moulding for 3rd gen windshield's is nothing special and any glass truck should have a 100ft roll if it onboard. factory would have been 1/2" wide but most moulding is made slightly wider to help with installation , ie ... cover paint lines and old dirt lines from the factory mouldings and such.

$150 is a pretty good price nowadays , unless you know someone ;)