Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Can i have advice (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/759385-can-i-have-advice.html)

SketchyZed 03-01-2019 10:42 PM

Can i have advice

So my car got smashed on the passenger rear quarter panel saved up for a few months took it somewhere he did somewhat of a crappy job I just want to know what did y'all do who had damge like that did you try to fix them or junk them, a guy I met recently told me that body work can always be redone I believe I have an okay camaro real z28 g92 package modded 355. I just need some advice because I have been looking for a 78-83 malibus if you were me would you try and save this car or just find something else

dmccain 03-01-2019 10:55 PM

Re: Can i have advice

Save it, find a reputable body man. Bodywork is a lot harder than just spraying paint so take your time find someone good. You have a great classic car, it's worth it. Those Malibus make ok drag cars but are butt ugly.

SketchyZed 03-01-2019 11:12 PM

That's what I'm leaning towards but I'm just scared its gonna be too expensive I've even looked at chevy monzas

SketchyZed 03-06-2019 11:15 PM

How long does it take and hold long has anyone had their quarter panel damage for?

SketchyZed 03-07-2019 09:02 AM

Here are some pictures of it now
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...6f66c6c76c.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...feb906604d.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...90505004bd.jpg
the driver side you can only see the first tire groove and then barely see the second one then the passenger side you can see both perfectly

DynoDave43 03-07-2019 02:10 PM

Hmmm...that is certainly sub-optimal.

Did he just add a skin over the old quarter? Not sure how you get a part so far "out".

427seven 03-07-2019 02:46 PM

Because these cars have such good access from the inside when the panels are out, a good tin man can make you believe it never happened....

Aviator857 03-07-2019 03:27 PM

I would lean to getting a full 1/4 panel from a donor, drill out the spot welds along the hatch and splice it in the sail panel/b-piller.

As a teenager I did a friends $500 caprice, with a roofing hammer, 2x4 scraps as bucking bars, a gallon (or two whos counting) of bondo and a case of fire engine red dupli color spray paint, it looked better than that. He drove it for like 5 years before he wrecked it and it held up pretty good except it dulled fast if you didn't keep it waxed.

How much did you pay to have it fixed? I would be asking for a refund.

One option if you don't have the funds or tools to fix it 100% right would be to take it to Macco or other cheap body shop to have the panel replaced, the welds ground down, and the pannel primed in with no filler, then take it to a good body man to finish it. (no one flame me I know I know... but it will be better than that)

Aviator857 03-07-2019 03:31 PM

I could be wrong... but that almost looks like he took a pannel off a firebird and then tried to cut the < shape into it to fit the camaro, if you look at the bumper line on my car, that 90 degree corner would explain why the corner of the tail light is so jacked up.

SketchyZed 03-07-2019 04:39 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...daec783bdd.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...c3ef0f60a5.jpg
He just tried to pull it out gave up and bondo the whole thing I know I could fix it but I was just thinking what would be a better way to save money because I can find camaros rollers for 1k or even 2k online near me would it just be better to swap it over and start fresh to save money or just hold out and save

82tarecaro 03-08-2019 06:16 AM

He didn't even weld studs to pull it. He made a bunch of holes.

RedLeader289 03-08-2019 06:45 AM

I would recommend taking your car out and doing whatever it is that made you like the car in the first place, you know the thing, we all have one (or multiple), that just puts a smile on our face.

If doing whatever that is doesn't still bring your joy then get rid of the car and continue your search for your next one. Life is too short to waste time on a project you aren't invested in anymore.

If it's the opposite then I'd start by asking for a refund and then work on getting a new quarter installed.

Aviator857 03-08-2019 10:03 AM

There is a reason I pester a body shop when I have work done, I want to see they are doing it right... Unless its one I know and trust, but even then I like to see the metal work before the cover up is finished. I also discuss repair techniques and how much body filler is acceptable etc and ask if they have to deviate let me know as I would rather pay more now than pay a lot more later to fix it right.

I hate how litigious our world is, but in this case I would be saying give me a full refund or I'm suing (damages, lost use of vehicle, lawyer fees, etc) -- that is assuming this wasn't a situation where you paid a buddy $200 to fix it... Got a before repair picture?

vinny R 03-08-2019 11:51 AM

You got a bad fix period. I think selling your car because of it is a bad decision. I think you should go back to the shop and say WTF? try to get a discount and take it to a GOOD body shop and have it fixed properly. Your car looks to be in good shape overall and just can't see you buying a roller in better shape. You will have the time involved in switching all your stuff over to boot. I just can't see any savings here.
I would stay away from the Monza's, when I first met my wife she drove one, with the v8, and man that thing was a constant headache, nothing but problems and hard to work on, and that was back in the 80's?

SketchyZed 03-08-2019 12:11 PM

Right after the accident I took it to a good body shop they said just to replace the quarter panel and paint just the quarter panel would be 3800 the guy took it to you said he would do it for two thousand witch was a mistake said he would fix a quarter panel and paint the whole car obviously he did a crappy job and I made a mistake and I can not take anything back from that it's already done just crap happens the reason why I would say that I would want to start over with another Camaro is cuz the now I know. But I actually want to do cuz I first got this car I wanted to do like track stuff now I just want a little reliable sleeper

SketchyZed 03-08-2019 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by RedLeader289 (Post 6286605)
I would recommend taking your car out and doing whatever it is that made you like the car in the first place, you know the thing, we all have one (or multiple), that just puts a smile on our face.

If doing whatever that is doesn't still bring your joy then get rid of the car and continue your search for your next one. Life is too short to waste time on a project you aren't invested in anymore.

If it's the opposite then I'd start by asking for a refund and then work on getting a new quarter installed.

what made me like the car in the first place was because you don't ever see Camaros like this anymore only rarely do you see them once I bought it i loved it i liked how it handled like how it look and bonus its my favorite color i have fun with it but here lately I haven't been able to have much fun with it at all with my parents being able to track my speed and its raining here pretty much constantly I'm not going to get good traction and I could possibly spin out and get into another accident or worse I do I have fun with the car but ever since that accident I've been ashamed and embarrassed of it

TylerSteez 03-08-2019 06:35 PM

Who ever did that body work should really consider a new career.

I wouldn't give up on the car just yet. It's worth calling the guy who did the bodywork and telling him hes a hack, maybe you'll get $500 or something back.

Maaco is cheap and would do a better job than that. They're not ideal, but it sounds like you can't justify putting too much money into the car and they're a viable option.

Also how are your parents tracking your speed? phone app I'm guessing? Be safe while you drive and all but I'd tell them to cut that out lol

SketchyZed 03-08-2019 07:50 PM

I know its fixable but it wont be till awhile till i can get it fixed like after collage, im in the process of tearing down my l98 and building it up for my plans. When i get enough time im going to some body places to ask how much for a new 1/4 to be put on

427seven 03-09-2019 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by SketchyZed (Post 6286506)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...daec783bdd.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...c3ef0f60a5.jpg
He just tried to pull it out gave up and bondo the whole thing I know I could fix it but I was just thinking what would be a better way to save money because I can find camaros rollers for 1k or even 2k online near me would it just be better to swap it over and start fresh to save money or just hold out and save

whoever did this should be scorned out of existence......

Kingtal0n 03-09-2019 05:44 PM

Body work is the hardest thing to do to a car properly

I honestly always jump to a next chassis. You can't put good money into a car with an imperfect chassis. And while its true that anything can be fixed back to factory perfection, the cost to do so if often more than the car is worth ($15,000~ I've seen exchanged to restore a half-cut on a rare car)
Before building any car I go by the chassis condition; the shape of frame rails, pinch welds, the lining up of body panels. The little gaps between panels and the alignment of the headlights and core support.

On the other hand, if I need a car to heavily modify and cut up, I would want to get one that already has some damage. Better to cut a car thats already in need of 'saving' than a perfectly clean one.
In other words, if your plans are show car & high quality & oem collectibility & basic street you would want the cleanest original body character possible. If your plans are strictly drag racing tube frame gut chassis swiss cheese tin can loud fuel pumps 2000hp it won't matter so much about the current condition of the frame rail or body panels because you will likely put it on a frame machine and do a bunch of cutting and welding anyways.