Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Exterior door handles (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/761957-exterior-door-handles.html)

96BlownSSragtop 06-09-2019 07:20 PM

Exterior door handles

Since NOS GM is impossible to find without having to donate a body part, I tried the Dorman replacement. The studs are smaller than OEM and I can’t seem to find any speed nuts that will work.

Anyone found a solution or a replacement brand that actually works/comes with ALL hardware?

mikeceli 06-10-2019 01:05 AM

Re: Exterior door handles

I was in the Auto Repair Business long enough to remember when Dorman was made in USA and top quality.

TTOP350 06-10-2019 05:58 AM

I had the same problem. I noticed that if you find some ooooold stock they work perfect but the "new" stuff is garbage. I lucked out and found several NOS when needed.

vinny R 06-10-2019 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by 96BlownSSragtop (Post 6307294)
Since NOS GM is impossible to find with having to donate a body part, I tried the Dorman replacement. The studs are smaller than OEM and I can’t seem to find any speed nuts that will work.

Anyone found a solution or a replacement brand that actually works/comes with ALL hardware?

I took my Doormat parts to my local body shop and he had some speed nuts that fit. That was the only way I was able to make them work. I will say it is ridiculous for a manufacturer to not include the proper hardware with their parts.

mikeceli 06-10-2019 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by vinny R (Post 6307349)
I took my Doormat parts to my local body shop and he had some speed nuts that fit. That was the only way I was able to make them work. I will say it is ridiculous for a manufacturer to not include the proper hardware with their parts.

Absolutely right! For a couple pennies, Dorman could have made a repro handle that might work. Instead, they leave a "Surprise"! for the installer, to find after tearing down the door. Start driving around town, looking for a special nut, in an odd size.

Firebat 06-10-2019 10:33 AM

Like everything thirdgen related, I always check if I can upgrade to 4th Gen parts when possible. 4th gen door handles bolt right in and in my opinion look a little bit better. That's just my opinion though and they don't come in chrome. The new ones are probably made by Dorman too.

kentuckyKITT 06-10-2019 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by 96BlownSSragtop (Post 6307294)
Since NOS GM is impossible to find without having to donate a body part, I tried the Dorman replacement. The studs are smaller than OEM and I can’t seem to find any speed nuts that will work.

I have a solution for you. I did this on my 82 and I just did this again a few days ago on a car I'm working on for someone else. As you know, the posts are too small. Made in China is always on top of their game. Also, go ahead and buy two sets of door handles and use the best pair. They like to put the posts too far up or too far down and they also like to have shotty paintwork on them. It's all garbage, but you can make the best of it.

On the speed nuts, place your FACTORY ones with the nut side up on hard metal/concrete surface, then take a hammer and tap them (don't pile drive them), tap them lightly until the top surface is flat and closes back up. They will then start on the posts after a few cusswords. Go ahead and run them on just a few threads, but not all of the way. Once on the door, then you start them again and take them all of the way. They will eventually screw all of the way down tight.

96BlownSSragtop 06-12-2019 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by kentuckyKITT (Post 6307479)
On the speed nuts, place your FACTORY ones with the nut side up on hard metal/concrete surface, then take a hammer and tap them (don't pile drive them), tap them lightly until the top surface is flat and closes back up. They will then start on the posts after a few cusswords. Go ahead and run them on just a few threads, but not all of the way. Once on the door, then you start them again and take them all of the way. They will eventually screw all of the way down tight.

Tried that but couldn’t get it to work. I’ve ordered new NOS speed nuts and handles from 1AAuto so we’ll how this works. If that doesn’t work, I’ll find good used ones.

84 1LE 06-12-2019 09:37 PM

No such thing as "good used ones".Theyre a junk design to start and only get worse once used.I used the method KITT mentioned and it worked quite well on new doorman pieces as well

Eightyninef 04-03-2022 12:35 PM

Tap & die set works wonders on the studs, then real nuts. But getting the Chinese replacement to work properly is another story.

84 1LE 04-03-2022 02:24 PM

They're tapered studs and cheap pot metal castings at that.

1989karr 04-04-2022 02:37 PM

The problem i had with the aftermarket handles is that they sit too close to the door and scratch the paint :/

Eightyninef 04-04-2022 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1989karr (Post 6461921)
The problem i had with the aftermarket handles is that they sit too close to the door and scratch the paint :/

Me too. I just ordered the Hoffman design. Otherwise i'll use the aftermarket and add felts.

1989karr 04-04-2022 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eightyninef (Post 6461923)
Me too. I just ordered the Hoffman design. Otherwise i'll use the aftermarket and add felts.

Sucks. I got the chrome one for my truck and the ystarted to pit / corrode within a week!!

Eightyninef 04-04-2022 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1989karr (Post 6461924)
Sucks. I got the chrome one for my truck and the ystarted to pit / corrode within a week!!

Hoffman started to corrode, or the Chinese 3rd gen replacements ?

1989karr 04-04-2022 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eightyninef (Post 6461926)
Hoffman started to corrode, or the Chinese 3rd gen replacements ?

The Doorman,,I assume Chinese replacements ugh. so junk

Camaro51 04-05-2022 11:50 PM

The Hoffman handles are great. I always thought the factory one seemed like such an after thought compared to the rest of the lines of the car.

sonjaab 04-06-2022 08:16 AM

I have the black china cheapies on my 84.
They are hanging in there and work fine.
As far as hitting the paint..... a homemade spacer under the mounting studs
will fix that.....

NEW black OE left sides are out there for big $$
new OE right sides are more reasonable.

Cant OPEN the door without a handle.........

barredrock 04-06-2024 04:35 PM

any updates, having same problems

Camaro51 04-07-2024 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by barredrock (Post 6529267)
any updates, having same problems

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...b797fa62e7.jpg
I highly recommend getting rid of factory junk handles and going with the flush stainless steel ones from Hoffman.

barredrock 04-07-2024 11:46 AM

Yes I have seen those,,, just dont really like the way they look

Camaro51 04-07-2024 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by barredrock (Post 6529361)
Yes I have seen those,,, just dont really like the way they look

If you want to keep the stock ones you're stuck with the cheap Chinesium and pot metal. If you don't mind a little body work the guys on this link came up with a good solution.

​​​​https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...maro-door.html

84 1LE 04-07-2024 11:04 PM

The 90s era door handles on caddy/grand am fit well on our cars. Very sturdy design.