Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Hood hinges (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/762061-hood-hinges.html)

Aviator857 06-14-2019 09:18 AM

Hood hinges

So my hood had gotten to the point when you opened it the driver side hinge didn't act right. So you had to open it a foot or so then kindof twist the hood to to get the hinge to work right. Anyways the hinges had a good amount of play so I replaced them and it still does it, but with the new hinges the back of the hood sits high. I took off the center bump stop off the back of the hood and adjusted the hinge stops way down. If you push on the hood it goes down to below the finder line.

I have new side guides also so I put those on but it still does the same.

New hood structs also.

Is there a trick that I'm missing here I spent a long time re aligning etc but can't figure out why even with new hinges it opens strangly and sits high in the back... at least the old hinges didn't sit high.

The new hinges are OER.

The only thing I can think of is the weather stripping at the back of the hood, maybe I should replace that but I have a feeling new stripping would just make the problem worse.

Billgluckman 06-14-2019 12:47 PM

Re: Hood hinges

My hood was doing the same thing before I took my car apart and I’ll need hinges too so I’m watching this thread. Is oer the only aftermarket option for hinges that you’ve found? They’re all I saw for factory replacement

i doubt it’s the issue but I would remove the struts and weather stripping and see if it sits flush. Or maybe the hinges are bolted down too far back and it’s an alignment issue? Maybe post pics

scooter 06-14-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Billgluckman (Post 6308241)
Is oer the only aftermarket option for hinges that you’ve found? They’re all I saw for factory replacement

Not a factory replacement, but I think Ring Brothers offers aluminum ones now, Arctic White Z got them for his car. you can see them in one of his threads

Aviator857 06-14-2019 02:51 PM

I couldn't identify a different between the factory and the oer hinge other than the lack of play. I'll fiddle with them some more if that doesn't work I may see if I can re press the joint pins on the factory ones.

The odd opening action the more I think about it has to be off set. I may try ignoring the gaps and focus on hinge alignment. It didn't help that i had the entire front clip off the car during the engine swap.

Billgluckman 06-14-2019 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by scooter (Post 6308255)
Not a factory replacement, but I think Ring Brothers offers aluminum ones now, Arctic White Z got them for his car. you can see them in one of his threads

Just looked at them. They cost almost as much as I payed for my car lol.

Aviator857 06-14-2019 05:00 PM

They have gotten a little better since yesterday, maybe it's self healing lol

scooter 06-14-2019 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Billgluckman (Post 6308265)
Just looked at them. They cost almost as much as I payed for my car lol.

I didn't say they were cheap, I only offered them as alternative :lol:

LiquidBlue 06-15-2019 11:33 AM

Are you wondering if your hinge issue is due to removing them? I've read accounts where it is very difficult to get hinges aligned after removal.