Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   question about rear deck and glass (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/762326-question-about-rear-deck.html)

Hawkeye1980 06-26-2019 11:40 PM

question about rear deck and glass

Ok so I am restore my bird. and I want to remove the rear glass. Mainly because I want to get into the areas around read windshield, gutters, to sand down and repaint. as well as get the metal bracket back on the glass on the top and paint it, which commonly pulled away.

Question, what is the best way to rest or store this glass while working on the back deck the body itself? I am so worried the glass may break while off the car. I noticed the rear deck can come off but it seams glued to the glass?

I also have to adjust the back deck being it has the pushed out issue so common on 3rd gens. Do I adjust the nuts on the glass side or roof side of the hings? AKA to push it all back in. If its on the glass side, what is the torque on the bolts? I am REALLY nervous about over tightening them and cracking the glass. Any experience with this would be very much appreciated. thanks!

Drew 06-27-2019 12:28 AM

Re: question about rear deck and glass

If at all possible, I'd unbolt the hinges from the body and leave all the hardware thru the glass alone. Otherwise you risk cracking the glass if overtightened. Also the round head bolts that retain the hinges to the glass, are only held while tightening the nuts by the hex shaft. Often they'll just spin when you try to torque the nuts.

Fairly sure the service manuals don't even list a torque spec. The impression I get is that GM didn't want dealership techs messing with the fasteners through the glass.

The trim, decklid, etc are all bonded to the glass. Getting the pieces apart can have mixed results.

I haven't inadvertently destroyed a hatch glass yet. There's some margin for error. But glass is glass, if you go a hair too far, you're SOL.

dagwood 06-27-2019 09:20 PM

FWIW.........the hatch glass will not crack........it will explode

Hawkeye1980 06-30-2019 10:54 PM

Well I abandoned removing the rear deck! So I want to paint the gutter around the window, and removing it seems to be the only option. As well as getting the metal wrap around back in place, sanding it down and paintig that. So how would i set it down without breaking the rear glass? thanks!

Drew 07-01-2019 12:51 AM

They will balance and rest well leaned up against a wall on end. Historically that's how I've stored hatches for years on end.

Hawkeye1980 07-01-2019 11:15 PM

Thanks Drew. Very nerve racking to take it off and lean it up. Bad visions dance in my head, HAHA

Hawkeye1980 07-08-2019 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6311448)
They will balance and rest well leaned up against a wall on end. Historically that's how I've stored hatches for years on end.

Drew, check out this video, very helpful.

Abubaca 07-09-2019 07:19 AM

If at all possible, I'd unbolt the hinges from the body and leave all the hardware thru the glass alone.
This is what I did during my paint project. There's no "official" adjustment via these bolts, but there is a little wiggle room front to back and I was able to realign my hatch during re-installation.