Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Hatch struts - again... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/762498-hatch-struts-again.html)

J.C. Denton 07-06-2019 06:28 AM

Hatch struts - again...

Hi guys,

I am pretty bugged about the hatch struts you can get for our cars. I need the correct struts for my 88 GTA with the factory D81 wrap around spoiler that weighs a ton. Everytime I hit the hatch release button, the hatch releases, the motor comes up... and when it is in the upper position, it latches the hatch hook and it goes down again. That REALLY f****s me up... Everytime I want to open the hatch, I have to jump out of the car like it is on fire and grab the hatch before it can go down again. I have installed the Sachs SG130003, which are supposed to be the strongest. They hold the hatch well and it opens by itself when I lift it a bit. But the don't "pop" it a bit open after hatch release so the latch couldn't catch the hook when the motor goes up. Is there any recommendation for WORKING struts that pop the hatch, hold it well and maybe doesn't shoot it to the sky like a rocket when it reaches the fully opened position?

Thanks!

69L48Z27 07-06-2019 07:07 AM

Re: Hatch struts - again...

I just got some AC Delcos 510511 off of a Rock Auto. These open the hatch when I pop it. They are really too strong for my application but it said they were for spoiler and wiper. I should have got the OR part number, 510510.

This is for an IROC and not a GTA but these things are super strong. Shows the same part for Pontiac.

LiquidBlue 07-06-2019 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by J.C. Denton (Post 6312523)
Hi guys,

I am pretty bugged about the hatch struts you can get for our cars. I need the correct struts for my 88 GTA with the factory D81 wrap around spoiler that weighs a ton. Everytime I hit the hatch release button, the hatch releases, the motor comes up... and when it is in the upper position, it latches the hatch hook and it goes down again. That REALLY f****s me up... Everytime I want to open the hatch, I have to jump out of the car like it is on fire and grab the hatch before it can go down again. I have installed the Sachs SG130003, which are supposed to be the strongest. They hold the hatch well and it opens by itself when I lift it a bit. But the don't "pop" it a bit open after hatch release so the latch couldn't catch the hook when the motor goes up. Is there any recommendation for WORKING struts that pop the hatch, hold it well and maybe doesn't shoot it to the sky like a rocket when it reaches the fully opened position?

Thanks!

Just an quick note. when my car was 2 years old with factory struts it did this. I hear ya tho! I think the struts are fine, its the motor that is the poor design. the motor should have a time delay in it, so you have time to fall out of the seats on to the ground, pick yourself up, and fast walk to the hatch.

navy02ws6 07-09-2019 11:12 AM

I have the Delco 510-509s on my '91 RS. IIRC they were supposed to be the weakest ones, but unless it's really cold outside, my hatch always springs up fully extended as soon as the hatch motor releases it. Also have to push really hard to get it to latch again. I'd really prefer something weaker.

With my old worn struts, the hatch would sometimes get sucked back down by the hatch motor within a few seconds of being released. I'd almost still prefer that, I'm used to it with my 4th gen anyways.

J.C. Denton 07-09-2019 01:25 PM

I've ordered the Delco 510-511 from RockAuto yesterday. May take a few days until they make their way over the great pond but FedEx is alwasys fast with shipping overseas. I will report what my hatch does with these...

TTOP350 07-10-2019 06:41 AM

You can use the door key in the rear lock to open the hatch too. This way it doesn't look like a circus act trying to open the hatch.
I've always thought the hatch button was extra dead weight.

DynoDave43 07-10-2019 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 6313379)
You can use the door key in the rear lock to open the hatch too. This way it doesn't look like a circus act trying to open the hatch.
I've always thought the hatch button was extra dead weight.

That's the way I do it. My struts are just strong enough to hold the lid open. I've always opened it by hand with the key. I want to be able to start lifting the hatch, and taking pressure off the PLASTIC gear and case ASAP when the latch is released. I never use the one on the dash, unless the wife is sitting in there to push the button, and I'm in back to lift it.

Eagle223usa 07-25-2019 08:02 AM

Mine just started doing the "suck back down" thing this year. I'm following this thread with interest, and noting part numbers. Thanks guys. Mines an 89 IROC, no wiper, standard spoiler.

J.C. Denton 07-25-2019 12:25 PM

Installed the Delco 510-511 the other day... guess what... same symptom... That really sucks, anyone else has another part number or something?