Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Front bumper mount - replace, repair? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/762534-front-bumper-mount-replace.html)

BovineZro 07-08-2019 03:34 PM

Front bumper mount - replace, repair?

I'm in the process of pulling my car apart to clean and repaint. My original plan was to build my own rotisserie. However, I've run into a bit of a snag. My passenger side front bumper mount is pretty badly damaged, with two of the bolt holes broken open and a third looking pretty dubious.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...08d957f4ae.jpg

I'm looking for suggestions here. Please keep in mind I'm not asking about general repair. If I was just putting the bumper back on, I'd tack washers on the back of the mount and call it good. But since I'm going to lift the whole car using the bumper mounts, I don't think that will cut it.

My initial thought was to weld a square plate on the front of each mount, but it seems like that would cause alignment issues with the bumper (eg, pushing the bumper forward). However, when I removed the bumper there were four approx. 1/8" spacers between the bumper mount and bumper (see crappy sketch below, unfortunately I didn't get a picture). They have a hole for one bumper bolt, and a slot so you can sort of swing the spacer into place on the second bumper bolt. I'm not sure if these are factory parts or if they were added at some point - it looks like the car may have some minor front end damage since the bumper cover isn't original either.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...012409e17a.jpg

So, to the specific questions:

Is this something to worry about given that I'm going to lift the car using the bumper mounts?

Should I weld in plates that are the same thickness as the spacers on the front of both bumper mounts (covering and reinforcing all four bolt holes), and discard the spacers?

Should I retain the spacers and weld smaller plates across the back of the damaged mount (or both mounts)?

Or is something more drastic called for? I don't like the idea of cutting the whole mount off and replacing it, but if that's what's needed to do the job right...

Thanks in advance!

BovineZro 07-19-2019 01:26 PM

Re: Front bumper mount - replace, repair?

Does anyone have any feedback on this? I think the safest option is to weld square plates on the front of the bumper mounts, using material that's the same thickness as the spacers which are currently there - but I'd definitely like to know if anyone has ever done something similar.

84 1LE 07-20-2019 02:55 PM

I wouldnt cut/replace that, Its no where near bad at all.Keeping the original metal is always best over cutting/removing it, if not too far gone.I would straighten that out with some heavy duty c-clamps and weld closed the open slotted holes.Might as well fix it for both needs in one shot.

The spacers are OE parts.I believe theyre used to butt the bumper up to the bumper cover for support/impact protection, etc. The shims come in different thickness's.

daferris 07-20-2019 07:04 PM

If your rotisserie mounts to the top and bottom holes both your fine because it can't slide cuz if it goes up that would be against one bolt if it goes down it would be against the other one so as long as your rotisserie mounts on the top and bottom of each side of that you would be fine even with the holes in the amount

BovineZro 07-22-2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 84 1LE (Post 6315535)
I wouldnt cut/replace that, Its no where near bad at all.Keeping the original metal is always best over cutting/removing it, if not too far gone.I would straighten that out with some heavy duty c-clamps and weld closed the open slotted holes.Might as well fix it for both needs in one shot.

The spacers are OE parts.I believe theyre used to butt the bumper up to the bumper cover for support/impact protection, etc. The shims come in different thickness's.

Thanks for the feedback! I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary to replace the mounts entirely, so that's a relief. I'll try the c-clamps and see if I can weld a bit of material in to close the holes (although I'm not a great welder). It sounds like welding a plate in to replace the spacers might be a bad idea if I ever need to adjust the fit of the front bumper, so I'll avoid that. There's very little rust, so I think the metal is fine. I'll be sure to hit it with some primer after I flatten and weld it.

Originally Posted by daferris (Post 6315565)
If your rotisserie mounts to the top and bottom holes both your fine because it can't slide cuz if it goes up that would be against one bolt if it goes down it would be against the other one so as long as your rotisserie mounts on the top and bottom of each side of that you would be fine even with the holes in the amount

I hadn't thought about only using two bolt holes. I'm going to build my own rotisserie, and I was planning to use all four bolt holes (bolts are cheap - better safe than sorry). It's good to know using two bolts in the "good" bolt holes would be adequate though.

So unless someone else has any comments/suggestions, I'm gonna flatten that piece out, try to close the two open bolt holes, and go from there.

Aviator857 07-22-2019 03:14 PM

Have you checked further back on the frame rail for additional damage? As well as cross measured to make sure everything is straight? You don't want to spend all that time on the body and then realize its not straight and have to put it on a frame machine and pull it (cracking the new paint etc you may have put on)

All said and done heat, hammer, weld so it looks like the other side :)

BovineZro 07-22-2019 05:31 PM

I haven't quite made it to that point yet, but I plan to check the frame for signs of additional damage once I get everything pulled off. I figured I'd get it on the rotisserie first so it's easier to get access to the underside of the car. It looks like the bumper cover and front passenger fender were replaced, which suggests front end damage (and explains the horrendous paint job). However, if there is damage I'm guessing it's minor. I've had no issues with getting parts to fit or alignment, and I haven't noticed anything that looks visually out of place (although I know you can't always eyeball that sort of damage).

Thanks for the warning though, I would definitely hate to put in the time and effort on paint and wind up ruining it trying to correct frame/body issues. No, if I'm going to ruin paint it's going to be by dropping a wrench on the hood or fender after I've completely finished and reassembled the car.