Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   Paint (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/786917-paint.html)

rhyno91 11-04-2023 07:35 AM

Paint

So what brand of paints for the body have you had good luck with? I am looking for companies that offer good base coat paints that are also available in rattle can (for the engine bay, etc). In particular, I am looking for a VERY dark blue that is so dark it is almost black. Just looking for some suggestions Thanks in advance.

Roorancher 11-04-2023 11:16 AM

Re: Paint

All the major paint manufacturers make automotive paint.
DuPont, P&G, R&M, Sherwin Williams, and also Custom Paint houses.
Very few also make then in Rattle Cans, but you can make your own rattle can.

Best way to find what you want is to go on like and look thru various paint colors and chips for various years. It can all be made and/or mixed.

Roorancher 11-04-2023 11:40 AM

Saw this on Facebook this morning....

https://www.tropicalglitz.net/paint

rhyno91 11-04-2023 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Roorancher (Post 6516670)
All the major paint manufacturers make automotive paint.
DuPont, P&G, R&M, Sherwin Williams, and also Custom Paint houses.
Very few also make then in Rattle Cans, but you can make your own rattle can.

Best way to find what you want is to go on like and look thru various paint colors and chips for various years. It can all be made and/or mixed.

I should should have been more clear. I'm interested in what experiences members have had who have repainted their cars with specific brands. Like coverage and durability, if they clear coated and how it has held up. That kind of thing. Thanks.

rhyno91 11-04-2023 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Roorancher (Post 6516675)
Saw this on Facebook this morning....

https://www.tropicalglitz.net/paint

​​​​​​

Nice, I will check that out. Thank you.

roadthrills 11-05-2023 09:44 PM

I've used PPG a few times. Dupont once years ago........didn't like it. I've used the cheaper PPG "shopline" as well. What I've found is the cheaper line is sort of transparent......you need to put several coats on for good coverage. It also is hit or miss with color matching an oem color, OR even mixing the SAME color later on. Colors with pearls seem to be the worst. The cheap clearcoat is 5-7 years outside 24/7 before it starts failing, turning white, peeling off. Nothing to worry about if it's garaged. I'll spend the extra for their better clear. Our local paint supply will mix up whatever you need into a rattle can for you. The rattle cans are mixed a bit different cause of the need to spray out of a can and they CAN be a shade off so be aware of that. On small projects, I've been known to use some Rustoleum or Duplicolor rattle can and good automotive clearcoat over it.

rhyno91 11-06-2023 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by roadthrills (Post 6516750)
I've used PPG a few times. Dupont once years ago........didn't like it. I've used the cheaper PPG "shopline" as well. What I've found is the cheaper line is sort of transparent......you need to put several coats on for good coverage. It also is hit or miss with color matching an oem color, OR even mixing the SAME color later on. Colors with pearls seem to be the worst. The cheap clearcoat is 5-7 years outside 24/7 before it starts failing, turning white, peeling off. Nothing to worry about if it's garaged. I'll spend the extra for their better clear. Our local paint supply will mix up whatever you need into a rattle can for you. The rattle cans are mixed a bit different cause of the need to spray out of a can and they CAN be a shade off so be aware of that. On small projects, I've been known to use some Rustoleum or Duplicolor rattle can and good automotive clearcoat over it.

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of insight I am looking for. I will check them out.

1989karr 11-08-2023 12:01 PM

PPG shop line is good for the price.

I agree with the above. Just keep it cleaned and polished if you use the cheaper clear.

ACebell 11-08-2023 01:19 PM

Can't say what the finished quality will be on my paint job (prepping on my own, and proper prep is almost 90% of a paint job; or so I am told), but I selected HighTeck. Factory mixed paint (at least for my application), reasonable prices (via eBay).
I am using the High Build Urethane Primer at the moment (with matching Reducer). For a true amateur, I find my results are expectable.

HighTeck Products

rhyno91 11-08-2023 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ACebell (Post 6516933)
Can't say what the finished quality will be on my paint job (prepping on my own, and proper prep is almost 90% of a paint job; or so I am told), but I selected HighTeck. Factory mixed paint (at least for my application), reasonable prices (via eBay).
I am using the High Build Urethane Primer at the moment (with matching Reducer). For a true amateur, I find my results are expectable.

HighTeck Products

Thanks, I'd be interested to see how it turns out for you.

LT1/TA 11-08-2023 09:32 PM

I used HighTeck base coat (Victory Red) and Finish 1 FC720 clear on my mustang back in June.I was pleased with the quality and price.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...00c066a32d.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...1646130dc9.jpg

rhyno91 11-09-2023 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by LT1/TA (Post 6516966)
I used HighTeck base coat (Victory Red) and Finish 1 FC720 clear on my mustang back in June.I was pleased with the quality and price.

Looks nice! Did you do that yourself?

LT1/TA 11-10-2023 04:07 PM

Thanks,I did paint it myself.

69-er 11-14-2023 01:03 PM

I've used Urechem products on my last three builds. They are cheaper and appear to be a quality product. No matter what paint I've used in the past I always get a little orange peel so I always wet sand and polish. Because of that they all are show quality finishes and look great. They consistently get awards at shows.

As far as durabilty, I can't comment as they are garage kept.

www.thecoatingstore.com

Abubaca 11-14-2023 01:58 PM

I've had real good luck with Nason, which of course is typically considered more of an economy brand. The guy who painted my red 89 said they like it because they find it easy to spray. On my Gunmetal 88, I tried a rattle can touch up from Automotive Touch Up, and was disappointed in the coverage AND color. Just had a rattle can mixed up locally of the Nason gunmetal and it covered well and was spot on colorwise. .....I'll be doing the engine bay soon, and then after the "LS swap", I'll be painting the whole car.

That being said......not sure I'd wanna tackle the entire engine bay with a rattlecan. They're expensive, but even if they were free, they don't quite cover as well as a proper paint gun, and it's a smaller fan. I think it'd be hard to lay down a smooth consistent paintjob.

rhyno91 11-20-2023 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 69-er (Post 6517315)
I've used Urechem products on my last three builds. They are cheaper and appear to be a quality product. No matter what paint I've used in the past I always get a little orange peel so I always wet sand and polish. Because of that they all are show quality finishes and look great. They consistently get awards at shows.

As far as durabilty, I can't comment as they are garage kept.

www.thecoatingstore.com

That's awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.

rhyno91 11-20-2023 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca (Post 6517319)
That being said......not sure I'd wanna tackle the entire engine bay with a rattlecan. They're expensive, but even if they were free, they don't quite cover as well as a proper paint gun, and it's a smaller fan. I think it'd be hard to lay down a smooth consistent paintjob.

Thank you, you've given me something to think about.