Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Body (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/)
-   -   What's the lexan t-top thickness? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body/788662-whats-lexan-t-top.html)

drabina 04-26-2024 09:42 PM

What's the lexan t-top thickness?

My lexan (plastic) t-tops are so weathered that I will most likely have to sand tons of material down just to get the oxidation off. This followed by progressive sanding, polishing and clear coat. I am just wondering what's the thickness of the actual plastic. I am hoping that they are fairly thick so I have some material left after I am done. :-)

Airwolfe 04-27-2024 12:16 AM

Re: What's the lexan t-top thickness?

The factory RPO CC1 T-tops on 3rd gen Camaros and Firebirds weren't made of polycarbonate LEXAN™. They were made from cheap acrylic plastic. They were made by a company called LexaMar Corp. I think they have a protective coating or film on them called LexAR 100™ or LexAR 1000™

TTOP350 04-27-2024 02:56 AM

I have a broken set i could measure if i remember

Tom 400 CFI 04-27-2024 07:48 AM

Have you reached out to MELROSE to see if they can put new lenses in your roof panels? I just had 'em do the "glass" roof on my 'Vette....came out so good it almost looks too good for the car! :lol:

drabina 04-27-2024 06:48 PM

My Camaro is a very low budget build so I can't spend hundreds on a new plastic. But good to know that they are available just in case.

I have tried to sand the t-tops but I think mine are too far gone. I used 80 grit to get the oxidation off but the scratches and cracks go deep into the plastic. There are few stress cracks as well. I just did 80 grit to 1500 and then polished. They are a lot smoother to the touch but the cracks still show. I will just apply a very dark tint to the inside.

Airwolfe 04-27-2024 08:34 PM

At any point that 80 grit seemed to be the right grit to start out with the acrylic plastic T-tops were probably beyond saving for use as normal see though T-tops. You should be able to glue and fill in the cracks and sand smooth the top of the T-tops to prepare them for a wrap or protection film to make them look presentable from the outside and keep rain and water out.

For me the enjoyment of T-tops is having them out with the wind in my hair and Sun on my head and face. With them in I could care less about being able to see through them. So having a solid film or wrap on the outside of them wouldn't bother me too much as long as they looked good.

Save you some money back in a jar as you can afford to just for a set of replacement T-tops and keep your eyes on Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace for a set of used glass T-tops. The glass T-tops are nice and will stay nice if took care of. The drawback to glass T-tops is they are heavy.

TTOP350 04-27-2024 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tom 400 CFI (Post 6531372)
Have you reached out to MELROSE to see if they can put new lenses in your roof panels? I just had 'em do the "glass" roof on my 'Vette....came out so good it almost looks too good for the car! :lol:

Don't think he puts the plastic back in, think he upgrades to glass, that's how i took it when i spoke with him on the phone.

Tom 400 CFI 04-27-2024 11:31 PM

No kidding? My roof isn't a T-Top, but it got done in some kind of plastic. IDK if glass would be bad, my '83 TA had glass T-Tops. They were heavier, but held up well.

TTOP350 04-28-2024 04:28 AM

The ttops, not sure what the vet tops are made of that he is doing

Tom 400 CFI 04-28-2024 04:20 PM

IDK. I was thinking that it'd be the same material, 'Vette or F-bod "plastic" top. That's why I mentioned it. IDK though. Guess The OP won't $pend on it though, so he can sand the wee out of his....and see how it turns out.

drabina 04-29-2024 06:36 AM

I don't want to sand the t-tops down to 1/32". :-) Will just cover them with a vinyl wrap. There are too many cracks and imperfections which show especially from the inside. Don't think mine are salvageable.