Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Brakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/)
-   -   Pre-bent brake lines? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/462263-pre-bent-brake-lines.html)

Kevman 02-23-2008 07:44 AM

Pre-bent brake lines?

Hey! I've got a question, I'm terrible at bending those hardlines, I always break them, and kink them, do they make a set for our cars that are already bent? If not I might get in to the business.

JamesC 02-23-2008 08:17 AM

Re: Pre-bent brake lines?

In answer to your question:

http://www.finelinesinc.com/

http://www.classictube.com/

http://www.inlinetube.com/

JamesC

fast377 02-23-2008 10:07 AM

I got mine from either classic tube or inline tube...I can't remember which. One place had them in stock the other had to make them. The ones I got were great (I got the full set for the whole car.) Minor tweaks here and there, but overall I'm extremely happy.

KJZ28/TA 02-24-2008 01:03 AM

I JUST got my full brake line kit from Inline Tube, like three days ago. They are great and were in stock.

169 for OEM and 189 For stainless. (EDIT)Do yourself a favor spend the extra 20 for the stainless. You will never have to worry again.

TheScaryOne 02-24-2008 09:17 AM

I was just talking to someone about pre-bent lines. Seems like getting some SS lines with your new SS braided softlines wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks for the links!

//<86TA>\\ 02-24-2008 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by KJZ28/TA (Post 3652234)
Sue yourself a favor spend the extra 20 for the stainless. You will never have to worry again.

+1, minus the sueingpart...:lol:

if you really feel ambitious, while you are down there, replace all the fuel lines too if they are in questionable condition

Kevman 02-24-2008 12:36 PM

If they come prebent, I'd have to save some money. You guys should see the line I ran from the Rear brake block to my left rear wheel cylinder. Looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.

2fast4u92z 02-24-2008 01:19 PM

I have talked to inline (cuz they are local) and will be picking up all brake lines,fuel,tans,and maybe power steering soon. I don't realy need SS as it will be a garage queen but for the price why not.

I was worried about shipping as someone said they have to bend them to box them. That is why I am picking mine up. I also have SS braid lines for the flex lines. <--don't know if I want to use them yet. Seen so many problem with them and want a stock look!

My car is on the rotisserie with every nut and bolt removed. So just spined it sideways and install.

TheScaryOne 02-24-2008 01:30 PM

If they all follow similar policies, when they bend the line to ship it they put a tag on it to notify that's where they bent the line, and that it needs to be straightened out. Shouldn't be too difficult, but if I had the opportunity to pick them up, I'd definitely take it instead.

KJZ28/TA 02-24-2008 09:49 PM

It is no big deal that they are bent in the box. you just roll them out.

Sorry about the sue instead of do.....

and isnt it terrible that when you go to replace one thing you find a whole mess of other problems. My brake lines went, look under the car and the rear is so rusty I need to take it out clean it and paint it or there will be nothing left. Also found a REALLY BAD bent panhard bar, and swaybar brackets that are hanging on by a thread they are so rusty. Looks like this week is going to be fun.

tcflint 10-30-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by JamesC (Post 3651206)

Nice stuff, but is there any cheaper stuff out there? I mean once your set up with a jig it is about 400% markup on these lines!

Also eveyone seems to see a whole kit vs just a main line or axle line.

KJZ28/TA 10-30-2008 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by tcflint (Post 3933295)
Nice stuff, but is there any cheaper stuff out there? I mean once your set up with a jig it is about 400% markup on these lines!

To do it yourself is cheaper. But I looked at it this way. I would have had to buy a whole bunch of tools that I would only maybe use twice in a lifetime.

also The pre-bents go in in about 20 minutes, instead of spending hours upon hours trying to bend them yourself. And these come with the rock guard which you wouldn't probably have, and the SS is very nice because you do not ever have to buy them again.

tcflint 10-30-2008 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by KJZ28/TA (Post 3933529)
To do it yourself is cheaper. But I looked at it this way. I would have had to buy a whole bunch of tools that I would only maybe use twice in a lifetime.

also The pre-bents go in in about 20 minutes, instead of spending hours upon hours trying to bend them yourself. And these come with the rock guard which you wouldn't probably have, and the SS is very nice because you do not ever have to buy them again.

I agree 100% on the time issue...I'm just saying it's a little bit steep.

KJZ28/TA 10-30-2008 03:08 PM

I felt that way at first....then I thought..these are my brakes, nothing is more important then having that all good.

I thought I paid more for some reason, $185 seems reasonable to me.

tcflint 10-30-2008 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by KJZ28/TA (Post 3933567)
I felt that way at first....then I thought..these are my brakes, nothing is more important then having that all good.

I thought I paid more for some reason, $185 seems reasonable to me.

Almost as important as having a good stereo in it :lmao:

BADMAN 10-30-2008 05:46 PM

Just used Finelines front to rear brake line. Bent in the middle for shipping,easy to roll out and installed just like it's supposed to. No need to buy tools to be used just once. Made the job much easier than anticipated.

Al Hasse 10-30-2008 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by tcflint (Post 3933295)

I called InLine Tubes when I bought my rear axle lines last year and asked the same question. Made my order over the phone and had my lines inside of a week. Good quality and also available in stainless. They need to know the year of the car so they can put the correct threaded fittings on the lines (SAE/metric).

KJZ28/TA 10-31-2008 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tcflint (Post 3933593)
Almost as important as having a good stereo in it :lmao:

HAHAHAHAH!!!

gregsz-28 11-03-2008 01:02 AM

or you could find a car in a salvage yard where the lines are in good condition. Then they might even be free.

bigals87z28 11-15-2008 06:16 PM

I have a 9 bolt rear with the PBR calipers. The line to the right side caliper was missing when I got it, and the left side isnt that pretty.
I just wanted to make sure that the PBR calipers are in fact metirc and that there is no special difference?

Also, can anyone suggest a good set of pads for the PBR calipers? And when looking for rotors, is there a specific rotor that i need to be looking for? With or Without performance package? Any help would be great, thank you.

JamesC 11-15-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by bigals87z28 (Post 3949517)
I have a 9 bolt rear with the PBR calipers. The line to the right side caliper was missing when I got it, and the left side isnt that pretty.
I just wanted to make sure that the PBR calipers are in fact metirc and that there is no special difference?

Also, can anyone suggest a good set of pads for the PBR calipers? And when looking for rotors, is there a specific rotor that i need to be looking for? With or Without performance package? Any help would be great, thank you.

Metric. No special difference. Hawk's pads. Delco or Bendix rotors with perf. pack.

JamesC

bigals87z28 11-16-2008 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by JamesC (Post 3949522)
Metric. No special difference. Hawk's pads. Delco or Bendix rotors with perf. pack.

JamesC

Ok, very cool. and thanks for the heads up on the pads. I

d85iroc 05-06-2015 01:07 PM

Hello I need some help I ordered pre bent rear axle lines from jegs. Well passenger one installed easily and just fine. Went over to the driver side and I find that it's either off or I'm just not figuring it out. Question is should the line fitting screw straight into the caliper or is the block end that my old brake line had needed. If so will I need to bent the line????