Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Brakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/)
-   -   Soft Pedal (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/580496-soft-pedal.html)

theNMBR27 07-17-2010 10:39 PM

Soft Pedal

I have a fourth gen rear in my car and my pedal feels extremely soft. Almost to the point where it hits the floor. I don't have a loss in stopping power even though there is so much pedal travel. Any ideas?

built91Z28 07-17-2010 11:07 PM

Re: Soft Pedal

Originally Posted by theNMBR27 (Post 4613000)
I have a fourth gen rear in my car and my pedal feels extremely soft. Almost to the point where it hits the floor. I don't have a loss in stopping power even though there is so much pedal travel. Any ideas?

If the pedals going to the floor, then there is probably air in the lines still.

theNMBR27 07-17-2010 11:21 PM

it doesn't go all the way to the floor. I only bled the front brakes and when the car is off I have pedal pressure.

built91Z28 07-17-2010 11:23 PM

When you put the 4th gen rear in, you only bled the fronts?

Chucklez 07-17-2010 11:25 PM

lmao that dosent make much sense

theNMBR27 07-17-2010 11:25 PM

I bought the car as a roller and the rear end was already in it. Would not bleeding the backs make such a big difference?

built91Z28 07-17-2010 11:29 PM

If there is air in the line to the rear, then yes. I would just try bleeding the whole brake system. It only cost the price of a bottle of brake fluid and doesnt take that long. Then if it still does it you know its not air.

Also check the rubber hoses for expansion when applying the brakes and check for leaks.

theNMBR27 07-17-2010 11:31 PM

All the lines were replaced and are stainless with steel braids at the calipers. No air came out when the fronts were bled, do I need to run the car while doing this or does it not matter.

built91Z28 07-17-2010 11:34 PM

No you dont have to have the car running. It wont make a difference.

Since you have stainless braided flex lines and assuming no leaks, then the only possibilites are air in the lines or possibly the master cylinder. I would bleed the brakes real good though before replacing a master.

theNMBR27 07-17-2010 11:37 PM

There is some whit plastic switch under the dash that is broken. It goes to the brake pedal and seems to be a pressure switch. I'll re bleed the system tomorrow but I'm curious about this switch. I haven't been able to find anything about it.

camaronewbie 07-18-2010 12:07 AM

Probably the brake light switch - there's no fluid run to the inside of the car (except coolant in the heater core), that switch is electrical and has nothing to do with brake pressures.

You need to bleed the pass rear first, then driv rear, then pass front, then driv front in that order. And when you think you've bled them enough, then bleed them some more!

HF_monster 07-19-2010 09:07 AM

if the rubber seal on the cap goes bad that will also cause soft pedal feel but def. bleed the brakes first.

theNMBR27 07-19-2010 10:44 AM

I'll make sure to check the cap seal but now that the brakes have been re bled the pedal is very firm. Although I haven't gotten a chance to run the car yet.

CAMARONEWBIE is was the brake light switch. thanks

Hopefully i'm ready for the car show friday night

theNMBR27 07-23-2010 10:09 AM

Update: The brake light switch with the manifold vacuum was broken and caused the pedal feeling.