Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Brakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/)
-   -   88 gta brake fluid leaks from e brake bolt on cast iron disc brake calipers (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/709491-88-gta-brake-fluid.html)

1BAD84Z28 10-05-2014 08:53 PM

88 gta brake fluid leaks from e brake bolt on cast iron disc brake calipers

Just as title says brake fluid leaks out e brake adjuster bolt on cast iron disc brake calipers and no fluid comes out bleeder valve. Can't figure out any help be great

TTOP350 10-05-2014 09:31 PM

Re: 88 gta brake fluid leaks from e brake bolt on cast iron disc brake calipers

Not what you want to hear but look for 89-97 PBR rear disc instead of those iron calipers.

Veaceonee 10-06-2014 01:24 PM

gotta replace the caliper. TIME FOR AN UPGRADE!!

1BAD84Z28 10-07-2014 04:47 PM

Would upgrade but low on funds. Just looking to stop leak for now

Veaceonee 10-07-2014 05:15 PM

I would look into getting a new caliper..

Casey Meyers 12-05-2014 12:34 PM

i went through 6 reman calipers until i got one that didnt leak there. its common and replacing it is the best fix

soarestransam 12-08-2014 06:46 PM

I had the pre 88 rear disc brakes and im gonna say this they suck a** best to do a 89+ rear end or change the backing plates to do the 89 pbr brakes the e brake will actually work and u will feel better braking coming from the rear when stopping

babyelephant 04-21-2019 11:02 AM

@1BAD84Z28 did you sort this out? My 87 GTA has the same leak from the e-brake actuator. Where's the problem With this style caliper, is it invisible inside the caliper or is it the lever seal that fails?

KyleF 04-23-2019 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by babyelephant (Post 6296793)
@1BAD84Z28 did you sort this out? My 87 GTA has the same leak from the e-brake actuator. Where's the problem With this style caliper, is it invisible inside the caliper or is it the lever seal that fails?

Could be either, and during the adjustment seeing a small leak is normal. So, the caliper does rely on the external seal to prevent leaking during operation.

You should be able to replace the leaver seals pretty easy to see if it still leaks. Your parking brake cables probably need lubricated anyway. So loosen them up at the equalizer above the driveshaft, drop them off the calipers, remove your leavers, and put new seals on. Lubricate all the slide points of the cables and the cable themselves and put it all back together and see if you still have the leak. Careful while working with the actuators. You don't want them to move and lose your adjustment.

Drew 04-23-2019 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by babyelephant (Post 6296793)
Where's the problem With this style caliper?

Just a bad design in general. The GM approved fix is to go to the land down under and get a caliper that's not garbage. :2cents:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...50b8ec4800.jpg

KyleF 04-23-2019 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by soarestransam (Post 5851547)
I had the pre 88 rear disc brakes and im gonna say this they suck a** best to do a 89+ rear end or change the backing plates to do the 89 pbr brakes the e brake will actually work and u will feel better braking coming from the rear when stopping

I never had a pre-88 Parking brake fail to work. You have to use it frequently to keep it in adjustment. Easiest way is to just use it every time you park. As far as braking goes, this goes back into having them properly adjusted and using them to keep them adjusted. The rear brakes on these cars were not designed to do a lot of braking, but that can be remedied by a $5.00 spring.

What I did have on my 86 way back when. was the passenger side caliper that would not stop leaking. Went through about 9 or 10 (No lie) Autozone reman units until one held up. They were fine when installed, but non ever made it out of the warranty period before they would blow a seal.