Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Brakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/)
-   -   Rock Auto - New Cardone Aluminum Brake Drums (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/748190-rock-auto-new-cardone.html)

NoEmissions84TA 10-09-2017 09:54 PM

Rock Auto - New Cardone Aluminum Brake Drums

2 Attachment(s)
New Parts for Old Cars
RockAuto.com reaches vehicle owners all over the world. This helps make it practical for manufacturers to keep making parts and even create new parts for old cars. There may not be many 1979 model year cars left in any one town, but there are thousands of 1979s scattered around the world still needing parts.

Cardone 2C18000 and 2C18001
It is always fun when a manufacturer builds a cool new part for an old car. The latest new part for old cars from Cardone really made me giddy because it targets one of the most underappreciated systems on old cars. I am not ashamed to say that most of the vehicles in my family's fleet have rear drum brakes, but drums just do not have the pizzazz that disc brakes do. Disc brake rotors usually get the fanciest new technology while brake drums just soldier on, quietly doing their jobs.

Cardone's new brake drums (part numbers 2C18000 and 2C18001) for old GM vehicles are made of aluminum rather than conventional cast iron. The outside and inside surfaces of these aluminum drums will never become covered with unsightly and damaging rust. The vehicle will stop faster and might handle better because aluminum weighs less. Less weight means less inertia to slow down and less unsprung weight thudding into pot holes. Cardone's aluminum increases heat dissipation and reduces the transfer of friction material from the brake shoes.

Now when the Cadillac CTS owner brags about his new drilled and slotted brake rotors (from RockAuto.com), the 1979 Buick Regal owner can say a word or two about her high-tech aluminum brake drums (from RockAuto.com)!

The new Cardone aluminum brake drums fit a huge cross section of GM vehicles built from 1964 to 1992, everything from a Corvair to a Caprice. I imagine if these sell well, Cardone will make aluminum drums for other vehicle brands. See all the brake parts available for your specific car or truck listed under the "Brake & Wheel Hub" category in the RockAuto.com catalog.

Tom Taylor,
RockAuto.com

DynoDave43 10-16-2017 09:32 PM

Re: Rock Auto - New Cardone Aluminum Brake Drums

Well that's pretty darned cool!

91RS5speed 10-22-2017 08:43 AM

What is the difference between the two part numbers 2C18000 and 2C18001?

RBob 10-22-2017 09:26 AM

One is for the 10 bolt rear, while the other is for the 12 bolt rear. Something about the axle flange being different.

RBob.

91RS5speed 10-22-2017 05:34 PM

It looks like we need 2C18000 for ours. Is this something I can just bolt on anything else I have to do? I have not worked with drum brakes much.

RBob 10-23-2017 05:05 PM

Depending upon how worn the stock drums are, you may need to back off the shoe adjustment a bit. I'd be tempted to scuff up the shoes for better bedding.

Then once in place may need to adjust the shoes back out for best contact.

Other then that, just install them.

RBob.

scooter 10-24-2017 09:06 AM

12 bolt and 10 bolt use the same flange, everything actually at the end. The difference may be the hub flange size between the two part numbers

**Edit, I was right about the center hole

We offer two versions - One for the 10-bolt GM rears 4-3/4 bolt pattern. This size would be the most popular drum. The other version has the enlarged center hole so it will fit the GM 12-bolt rears.

TTOP350 10-24-2017 09:10 AM

They have been out for awhile, very cool product!
http://www.kirbanperformance.com/pro...T+%237717.html

Mikeo91 10-27-2017 01:40 PM

Has anyone tried these? At almost $100 apiece just wondering if there worth it.

blacksunshine'91 10-27-2017 02:44 PM

I installed the Kirbian drums a few months ago. I like 'em.