Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Brakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/)
-   -   brake pedal to floor very confusing (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/752355-brake-pedal-floor-very.html)

Johny2234 04-14-2018 06:52 PM

brake pedal to floor very confusing

so i have an issue where the pedal goes right to the floor with no resistance. brake light goes off when it reaches the floor. i replaced the master cylinder and bench bled, brake booster, front drivers side brake hose and the pedal still goes to the floor. However, i can't open the bleeders on the front calipers because they are striped so i just loosened the lower brake hose bolt to get air out, but is my issue air being in the caliper and i can't open the bleeder. I also bled the rear brakes by the bleeder no problem. There are no leaks from any brake lines. Please help!!!

RBob 04-14-2018 06:59 PM

Re: brake pedal to floor very confusing

You need to bleed the front calipers by the bleeder. Cracking the banjo bolt won't bleed the air out of the caliper.

Use vise grips or such to get the bleeders out and replace them with new ones. Then bleed the system.

RBob.

Johny2234 04-14-2018 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by RBob (Post 6214844)
You need to bleed the front calipers by the bleeder. Cracking the banjo bolt won't bleed the air out of the caliper.

Use vise grips or such to get the bleeders out and replace them with new ones. Then bleed the system.

RBob.

I have no pedal and it goes right to floor. would air in the calipers really do that.

Tuned Performance 04-14-2018 07:10 PM

Yes

Jbuchanan 04-14-2018 07:10 PM

Yeah you will never ever get the air out like that. You really need to go ahead and replace the bleeder valves if not the whole caliper altogether.

Johny2234 04-14-2018 07:27 PM

ok thanks guys

sofakingdom 04-15-2018 09:18 AM

If the bleeders are so fornicated that they quit working, imagine what the FUNCTIONAL parts must be like.

Calipers are DIRT CHEEEEEEEEP. Under $20 apiece last time I looked. Just replace em both.

//<86TA>\\ 04-15-2018 09:47 AM

Yeah, stock front calipers are usually 10$ with core return.
And you can bleed the caliper from the banjo bolt if you removed the caliper and hold it upside down. Not ideal but will work in a pinch

Does the pedal pump up?

If the pedal just flops to the floor with no resistance, that's a bad booster in my experience. I've gotten bad, new(reman'ed) boosters too. I would check that first. Even if the front has air, so long as the rear doesn't you should still have some pedal feel towards the bottom of the stroke.

Johny2234 04-15-2018 07:10 PM

thanks for all the help. turned out to be a torn boot on the drivers side caliper. I finally found it when i took the caliper off and turned it upside down. The weird thing was that it never leaked when i stepped on the pedal. So everything is all good now and i have brakes. hopefully this helps someone in the future as it seemed that the caliper filled with air and didn't leak fluid so it wasn't easy to diagnose.

//<86TA>\\ 04-16-2018 07:30 PM

The boot is for dust, not to retain fluid.